Stupid question. >

Stupid question.

Notices

Stupid question.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
It's all good, I also took offense when he knocked on Malibu's. I am a very happy Malibu owner
I hate to say the most fun boat I have ever owned! I watched my kids grow up wakeboarding, skiing and all the good things that go with boating.

My boy is on the Florida State Wakeboarding team. Didn't even know you could do that in college.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Look up "Duo Delta Conic" hull design and "Harry Schoel."

I never even came CLOSE to spinning my single-step Fountain, because I never ever had a desire or necessity to turn at speed. I plan on driving my AT in the same manner.

Although I was VERY impressed with the speed at which Pat turned the boat on the test ride, I personally won't even try it. No sticker necessary.

Here's a linky for ya: http://www.schoellmarine.com/innovations.htm
Yes,

Im familiar with Schoell's design work...I was unaware that he did design work for AT. His lawsuit against Regal was actually used in a Admiralty law class that I took last year.

His design approach is somewhat similar to Lorne Campbell's when it comes to strake and chine angles for stepped bottom boats. Both prefer to run a lot of negative angle on them to help improve the turning charicteristics which is something most American designers do not do. The other approach which was patented by Mike Peters is using a ceterline tunnel at the keel between the aft most step and to add lateral resistance.

Depending on the Nav. Arch you ask it would probably be a pretty even split on who prefered which design from a hydrodynamics point of view.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
It's all good, I also took offense when he knocked on Malibu's. I am a very happy Malibu owner
Thats just that MC and Nautique elitism

In all seriousness though 'bu builds a fine product and wasnt trying to knock the company just that a ski or wake boat is going to ride like chit because of the quick transition to a low deadrise surface.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MIskier
Yes,

Im familiar with Schoell's design work...I was unaware that he did design work for AT.
Can I assume they also taught you what happens to the speed and hull efficiency as you add more steps?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Can I assume they also taught you what happens to the speed and hull efficiency as you add more steps?
That question is not really a simple one to answer because speed and hull effiiciency are going to be determined by the aspect ratio of the lifting area L/D, angle of attack of the step(s) and the L/B ratio of the boat. Assuming a well designed step matched to a properly sized boat a twin step boat will be faster and more efficient than the single step hull.

Last edited by MIskier; 05-04-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thats just that MC and Nautique elitism

In all seriousness though 'bu builds a fine product and wasnt trying to knock the company just that a ski or wake boat is going to ride like chit because of the quick transition to a low deadrise surface.
I don't blame ya...if I owned a MC I would hold on to my 86 Nautique as well....

I do agree my Bu rides nothing like my beak...but it's a he'll of a lot cheaper to run
Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things seem to be getting a little off topic.
If someone can afford a boat of any caliber it will not make them a knowledgeable operator of that boat.
AT is trying to cover some basics of warning an operator of possible issues if not operated properly. As stated sarcastically earlier, a person or entity can be held liable for absolutely anything these days.
Train and instruct the purchaser the best you can upon delivery and insure to the hill for what may/will happen eventually.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michigan troll
Things seem to be getting a little off topic.
If someone can afford a boat of any caliber it will not make them a knowledgeable operator of that boat.
AT is trying to cover some basics of warning an operator of possible issues if not operated properly. As stated sarcastically earlier, a person or entity can be held liable for absolutely anything these days.
Train and instruct the purchaser the best you can upon delivery and insure to the hill for what may/will happen eventually.
The warning sticker was from a Cig, AT was stating the differences in hull designs and or flaws...now the thread is back on topic for ya...
Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Registered

That question is not really a simple one to answer because speed and hull effiiciency are going to be determined by the aspect ratio of the lifting area L/D, angle of attack of the step(s) and the L/B ratio of the boat. Assuming a well designed step matched to a properly sized boat a twin step boat will be faster and more efficient than the single step hull.
Curious as to the case studies they gave you. Also curious if 3 or 4 steps are even more efficient.

Here's one for you which sums up step hulls nicely courtesy of David Svahn:

"The stepped hull is viewed as two regular hulls following each other closely in the
water. The first hull follows the same theory as a normal planing hull since this one
meets a calm level water surface. The second hull does however not, as it travels in the
wake behind the first hull. Because of this, the shape of the wake has been studied for
different conditions like speeds and hull shapes."

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 05-05-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered

Her's one for ya, kid, courtesy of Kobus Potgieter. The last sentence sums it up quite well!

http://www.navaldesign.co.za/article...s-%20Feb07.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.