Props-Spin in or out ?

Notices

Props-Spin in or out ?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
Tres gave us good advise with our 97 big power Gun ,1/2" spacers did the trick for us.
The gun was a few mph faster spinning in as well as loose on the top side,I preferred spinning her out.
Our cat only likes turning in as she is like running on ice above 115 mph turning out,very dangerous night and day difference spinning her in!
It only takes a few hrs or less to swith 6 drives I say try it both ways and see how she feels. Unless someone with your exact same boat, drives ,X dimension and prop has real data to share running both ways..
Good Luck!.
I cant wait to see one of your systems, on my 20 cig Im doing a 3.3 whipple and thinking of adding that as well, I hope to see you guys on the bay this year to check one out...
Old 04-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I cant wait to see one of your systems, on my 20 cig Im doing a 3.3 whipple and thinking of adding that as well, I hope to see you guys on the bay this year to check one out...
I would would be more than happy to show you our set up as well as take you out and show you how she works on the water.
And when the time comes to Whipple charge your 20' Cig Rudy could give you advise as to what to expect from our system on your set up.

We will be out in a month or so, Friday afternoon happy hr,Chesapeake Inn, Jelly Fish runs, Sat,Sun lunch runs to Inner Harbor etc
We have a fun group of boats that run down the Bay every weekend!
Look forward to seeing you out there!
Glen
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by daredevil
And yes it plays a big roll in turning props !!!!

Also ,,,in is sternlift ,,out is bowlift on a V bottom ,,,not on a cat !!!

On some boats ,,it does not make a diffrents at all thogh.

It also depends on what props ,,,diameter and blades ,,not pitch !
Scott, this is what you posted and on a V bottom it is wrong...period.
X dim is only a fraction of the whole equation. X dim is only going to matter if the props aren't in good clean water. Everything that tres said is in relation to a straight hull, as my tiger is and a cousin of the 41. Rob knows about Tigers as I believe his old one was the first one made under Craig Barrie. Most people assume, and as Wild Warrior posted that in order to achieve a higher speed raising the X is the only way, They put in a half inch spacer to put the props down in cleaner water and got faster, I was told I may need and inch spacer. depending on each boat and it's testing.turning in carries higher so there fore boat will be more loose.
Now For Robs Apache, it is also a short stagger boat with a notched transom. by spinning in he will carry his bow higher, therefore keeping more of the boat out of the water at the same rpm, thereby increasing speed, A stern lift will push the boat down in the bow making it want to either porpoise of bow steer, neither is good for speed. Tonto has a short stagger as I think Ike's does as well, so they have done some testing and gives him good starting points.

Glen, i look forward to it...Billy (runninghot) called me when his got dynoed, we couldn't get him to shut up, lol! Also I'm in MD as well and dave at MDG will have my motor on the dyno next winter.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

Ours is turning in, Warhawk and TONTO I believe are turning out. I think WW and Jerry's 41's are turning out.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is very interesting please let us know what set ups people are using on a notched fully staggered 41.

really only want to read knowledgeable folks here or owners of a 41 not theorists!

where is magnum mark??!.... ..... ..... . .

C
Old 04-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X dim is only a fraction of the whole equation. X dim is only going to matter if the props aren't in good clean water. Everything that tres said is in relation to a straight hull, as my tiger is and a cousin of the 41. Rob knows about Tigers as I believe his old one was the first one made under Craig Barrie. Most people assume, and as Wild Warrior posted that in order to achieve a higher speed raising the X is the only way, They put in a half inch spacer to put the props down in cleaner water and got faster, I was told I may need and inch spacer. depending on each boat and it's testing.turning in carries higher so there fore boat will be more loose.
Now For Robs Apache, it is also a short stagger boat with a notched transom. by spinning in he will carry his bow higher, therefore keeping more of the boat out of the water at the same rpm, thereby increasing speed, A stern lift will push the boat down in the bow making it want to either porpoise of bow steer, neither is good for speed. Tonto has a short stagger as I think Ike's does as well, so they have done some testing and gives him good starting points.

Glen, i look forward to it...Billy (runninghot) called me when his got dynoed, we couldn't get him to shut up, lol! Also I'm in MD as well and dave at MDG will have my motor on the dyno next winter.
Most Vees When the prop is on a upswing on the outside of the drive to travel fprward it will raise the bow. The water inthe middle of the drives is in the path of High PSI and several boundry layers face the blade entry making it less affective. Everyone forgets that Drive tow will increase or decrease the benefit Cats are far different/ Many things come into play, How prop is in the tunnel,deadrise,drive tow. Nost Apaches I ran liked drives turning in . but docking was more difficult.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most Vees When the prop is on a upswing on the outside of the drive to travel fprward it will raise the bow. The water inthe middle of the drives is in the path of High PSI and several boundry layers face the blade entry making it less affective. Everyone forgets that Drive tow will increase or decrease the benefit Cats are far different/ Many things come into play, How prop is in the tunnel,deadrise,drive tow. Nost Apaches I ran liked drives turning in . but docking was more difficult.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Tres
thanks, I was writing it all down when we were talking... I cant wait to get The Tiger back together, I will be in touch when I do...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacred Ground
I agree with you offshoredrillin
Mine have always spun out-maneuvers very well at the dock
I did notice that Tatonka spins in with 5-blades
Personally Rob I like to spin them in but the down side is the docking however if you can get close to the dock shifting the trans in reverse of what you would normally do tends to help it straighten out instead of crab walking!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I've run the drives spinning in and it carried the bow. The result was a 1 mph gain on the top end.

In my opinion the boat suffered in quartering seas. With the props this way the boat would enter the air and want to twist as it became airborne making it land on the chine at times. PS, landing on the chine hurts! In head-on or following seas it carried the bow nicely and wasn't an issue.

I decided to switch back to standard rotation for ease of docking, the quartering sea issue and only a 1 mph gain it wasn't worth it in my experience.

This was a side-by-side set-up but I've seen a lot of staggered boats and most step bottoms turning in so I guess it's best to test!.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.