Props-Spin in or out ? >

Props-Spin in or out ?

Notices

Props-Spin in or out ?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Props-Spin in or out ?

On our 41' Apache's with #6 or 3a's,do most spin in or spin out ?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the X on either this will make a huge difference
many are turing out with high drives...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Rob, in will give you more bow lift, and not as easy to maneuver while docking and maybe a mile an hour or 2 top end. out gives stern lift and makes it more maneuverable while docking. with trans, you have to switch the lowers, with bravo styles you can switch the cable. I've never heard X dim making a difference.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

I agree with you offshoredrillin
Mine have always spun out-maneuvers very well at the dock
I did notice that Tatonka spins in with 5-blades
Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried both ways with Star Chaser it drives better and goes faster spinning in. Your x is 3/4 deeper then mine don't think that will make much difference.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Rob, in will give you more bow lift, and not as easy to maneuver while docking and maybe a mile an hour or 2 top end. out gives stern lift and makes it more maneuverable while docking. with trans, you have to switch the lowers, with bravo styles you can switch the cable. I've never heard X dim making a difference.

If a set of Bravo drives has been spinning outward for 300 hours, would there be a problem with spinning inward in terms of a premature failure? I'm wondering if seals and bearings have formed to the direction. I'd like to try spinning inward, but I'm worried I shouldn't without updating parts.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
If a set of Bravo drives has been spinning outward for 300 hours, would there be a problem with spinning inward in terms of a premature failure? I'm wondering if seals and bearings have formed to the direction. I'd like to try spinning inward, but I'm worried I shouldn't without updating parts.
It shouldn't hurt to try, if it handles better run it for awhile and then check the internals, if it doesn't do better swap it back no longer than it will take to find out you will be fine.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
turning the props in will give a hull stern lift not bow lift
reversely, turing the props out will give the boat bow lift

this may be countered however with X on most race apaches the x is already high. if the drives and props are burried, turing in will loose handeling and gain speed with proper trim and stern lift. Turing out will gain handeling and you will have better control but loose mph.

try it out, swap the drives swap the props its nothing a small fork lift cant handle in a days worth of work. we have done it many times

good luck let us know how you make out
Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

This is a quote from Tres Martin on another site about in and out spinning.

Originally Posted by Team Tsunami
I always thought it was the other way around. Spinning in creates stern life and out bow lift. That's why on mostly all staggered step boats the props spin in cause you don't need the bow lift. On our Gladiator staggered and step they turn in. On out flat bottom Sutphen they only have them turning in for race set-up but you would run them out for pleasure (swtiching this winter). On our side by side stepped Hustler the props spun out cause the boat had too much stern lift in the hull.

and Tres's response.
Originally Posted by Tres
You've got that incorrect. Your being held back a grade

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 04-10-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
It shouldn't hurt to try, if it handles better run it for awhile and then check the internals, if it doesn't do better swap it back no longer than it will take to find out you will be fine.
I would agree here as well, it shouldnt hurt to try it. for just a short run, just switch the props and put in reverse, just be careful docking. if you like it then switch the cables.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.