Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Re: 47 weight with trips

don't think about it,just do it.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 47 weight with trips

Have my house settlement on Friday, let me get through that first before I just dive into the fuel digger here okay LOL.
How much fuel you think this bad boy can hold?
CANT be some little 200 gallon set of tanks in t his thing.
Got to be 300-400 gallons easy (probalby burn that in an hour anyway)
J
Old 11-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

The trailer probadly has vacum over hydraulic brakes,which are on most of the trailers under apaches. The people that I know that have this stlye of trailer brakes swear by them. Good luck, shopping. Steve
Old 11-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayl13
.......I have the dually but I was concerned about towing around a "resin bucket" with trips on a F350. Hot duck went and upped the bar on his 45 with a F550 and now what a F650 or 750? Just trying to be safe is all. Don't need to kill anyone while tugging around mount everest behind me!
We were using an F-450 (pictured below) to pull the Top Gun and Gladiator when we were racing. A 350 would have pulled either of those boats with no problems, but with all of the miles that we were traveling, I liked having the bigger brakes and heavier suspension of the 450.

I thought that this truck would be OK for the Apache as well, until we got a total weight for the boat and trailer. The boat weighs almost 13,000 pounds and the ship weight on the trailer was just shy of 7,000 pounds. Now add all of your gear, 400 gallons of fuel in the boat and 100 gallons of fresh water in the tanks on the trailer and you have a LOAD! After putting all of this together, we knew that we had to find a larger truck. There is no doubt that the F-450 would have pulled it, but it would not have been very safe and it certainly would not have been within it's legal weight limits.

After shopping for a few months, we decided to go with a Peterbilt from Texas Trucks (pictured below). We sold the F-450 and then flew to Dallas to pick up the Pete. The Pete was a 2002 factory demo, but it only had 4,000 miles on it and it looked brand new. The new Peterbilts were quite a bit more expensive, but since this was a demo, we got into this thing for what an F-650 would have cost. I can honestly say that this Pete handles the Apache with no problems at all. It rides really well and is extremely comfortable, but the best part is that it will stop on a dime.

Keep in mind that our Apache is two feet shorter than the one that you are looking at and we don't have a cabin in the bow. Another thing to keep in mind is that the weight of these boats seem to vary quite a bit from one to the other. It seems that if you took two Apaches of the same length, one may weigh quite a bit more or less that the other. To get a weight on that particular boat, I would talk to the current and/or past owners. They should at least be able to give you a "ball park" figure.

As you know, I traveled down the same road you are heading for not too long ago, so please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help. Meanwhile, good luck and happy shopping.
Attached Thumbnails 47 weight with trips-1.jpg   47 weight with trips-2.jpg   47 weight with trips-3.jpg  

Old 11-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Nykamp
The trailer probably has vacuum over hydraulic brakes,which are on most of the trailers under apaches. The people that I know that have this style of trailer brakes swear by them. Good luck, shopping. Steve
Jayl13: When we bought our Apache, it still had the original Myco under it (pictured below). This trailer was a tandem axle with dual wheels and it had the hydraulic air brakes. It had the potential to be a really nice setup, but it was in bad shape and had a substantial amount of rust in a few areas.

After comparing quotes to repair that trailer with a quote for a new trailer, we opted to build a new trailer (pictured below). This time we went with a triple axle Myco with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. We chose to go with a triple axle over a tandem axle with dual wheels simply because it is easier to change a flat tire on a triple axle (compared to changing the inside tire on a dual wheel setup) and there are only six tires to replace when it comes time rather than eight (not including the spares). As for the brakes, we chose electric over hydraulic because that seems to be the most common setup. This will be helpful in the event that we ever need the boat transported anywhere.

If you purchase this boat and the trailer has hydraulic air brakes, you do have a few options. You can add the air brake setup to your F-350 or you can convert the trailer from air to electric over hydraulic brakes. I don't know the cost on either of these options, but that is what we were facing before we decided to replace the trailer mentioned above. Again, if I can help at all, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails 47 weight with trips-4.jpg   47 weight with trips-5.jpg   47 weight with trips-6.jpg  

Old 11-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered

Damn Will, Thats one MOTHER of a setup to cruise down the road with.
National marine had a 47 with trips too on a 5th wheel myco as well (like anyone of us would buy anything now from national repo or whatever they are calling themselves this week)
Looked good from the pics but then again the pic with the 45 on it on the myco with the pintle hook in the front looks Solid as well and if you are telling me that it was not Ill believe you.
When I worked at apache they had bought that International rig similar to your pete, but I think they overpaid, but then again thing had dvd players, tv's ect you name it.

Tbone, have any pics of this 47 on the trailer?
What condition was the trailer in anyway? Brand?
Thanks
Jason
Old 11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jayl13
Tony, NyKamp brings up a point under the surface of what he wrote, this boat has been for sale for a very long time.
The pics of the boat have GOT to be 2-3 years old.

Its still a little out of my price range but hey, it came down this far right?
I used to dream about these, Now that my price range has upped the mark some, and the boats decrease in value I am getting closer to these than I ever thought.
Damn it I still want my war party though!

So Tony, outlying question still remains, Whats this sucker weigh in at on that trailer? AIR BRAKES ??? EEEK!
J
I don't want to step on anyone's toe's here, but there are a couple things in this paragraph that you REALLY need to look at !!!! First , that pic above is at least 7-8 years old , not 2-3.
Second, the fact that the ask is "a little out of my price range" is the LEAST of your worries !!! The operating costs to run a 47 Apache with triple 1100's will make the purchase price seem like picking up the dinner tab !!!! The truck , trailer and what brakes it has should be the LEAST of your concerns man ... COOL boat ? ... yes ! Remotely economical to run/maintain ? NO ! Dude , you worked at Apache .... you should be immune to this bug by now !?!?!?!?!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Jayl13,
The boat weighs about 18,000lbs., on the trailer you are looking at about 24,000lbs.
The trailer is a tandem dually Myco with a pinnel hitch, storage boxes, and hydraulic air brakes. No damage during the hurricanes due to the fact that the boat has been up at Falcon since the first of the year.
Regards,
Tony Friedrich
314-581-3532
Old 11-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

I am Immune thats for sure!
No I realize its expensive to run, But when you think about it they all are (but I get what your saying about this being more than most)
Plus I am not one to go out and run WOT for 8 hrs a day either.
Hell I stroll up the ICW, go to Lake boca, run down to port everglades, up to peanut, maybe to Jupiter ect.
For being in Florida, I have not used the baja that much (then again I am airbrushing it from front to back so its been high and dry for 7 weeks now)
Also I just asked how heavy it was and if it could be towed by an F350 dually not IM BUYING THIS what type of truck do I need!
Never hurts to kick something around though.
and I could update the look of that boat something fierce too, that would be awesome!
Baja looks KILLER so far and i'm only half done painting it.
J
Old 11-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe this was a "hull and deck" Apache 47 originally rigged by Bobby Moor's custom marine.

I personally would make only a short "local trip" with a 47' on an F-350. Within the state, we use our F-650 Cat diesel with air bags for suspension at 65# pressure. Out of state, we use our T-2000 Kenworth.

For years, drivers have used F-350's, but, for the same dollars, you can buy a good used diesel rig designed for that type service. With an F-350, the boat and trailer controls you to some extent, no matter what your brakes or suspension. I do not advise an F-350 to tow an Apache 47'.

Mark McManus

Quick Reply: 47 weight with trips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.