Need advice buying 212 Islander >

Need advice buying 212 Islander

Notices

Need advice buying 212 Islander

Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice buying 212 Islander

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1997 212 Islander (less than 200 hrs on original 454, B1) for a good bit less than book value. Unfortunately, the boat is a long day's drive away and I have not seen it yet in person. I am having a difficult time finding good information on this boat in order to make aquick decision. Can anybody tell me anything about this model? Can anybody tell me anything specific to be wary of when purchased this model used?

Anyone know how much wood was used in this boat, and where to check for rot?

I have always wanted a Baja, and the good price has me in that boat buying fever (you know the one) so I need somebody to talk me down!

Thanx for any help you can give!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainstone
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1997 212 Islander (less than 200 hrs on original 454, B1) for a good bit less than book value. Unfortunately, the boat is a long day's drive away and I have not seen it yet in person. I am having a difficult time finding good information on this boat in order to make aquick decision. Can anybody tell me anything about this model? Can anybody tell me anything specific to be wary of when purchased this model used?

Anyone know how much wood was used in this boat, and where to check for rot?

I have always wanted a Baja, and the good price has me in that boat buying fever (you know the one) so I need somebody to talk me down!

Thanx for any help you can give!

My first Baja was a 212 Islander and they are a very nice boat to fun 60 MPH in and still ski behind and tube behind.

With any boat you want to make sure the engines are sound and the boat is solid and there is no moisture, dry rot etc.

A survey will cost you about $300.00 and will tell yu if the boat/hull is in good solid condition and with you a very descriptive picture of the boat overall. They usually water test it as well so you will know if it runs and plans properly.

That is money well spent and I would go one step farther and have a good mechanic check over the engine and pull the magnets in the outdrive.

A good deal is not a good deal if you have to replace the engine and outdrive.

Where is the boat located? You have a huge family here on OSO and someone can go by and look at it for you. Then if it checks out you can have the survey down and then finally before purchasing you can test drive it yourself.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

I agree with wha Doc said. We also had a 212 w the 310 7.4 and put about 400 plus hours on it with out any problems.( except the impeller on 4th of July weekend in the middle of the lake!!!0 ) The only thing I didnt like was not having standup bolsters. So If at all possiable I would look to the 232. I wouldnt think it would be that much more $ and it would be alot more comfortable. IMO. Quinlan
Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oklaoutlaw
So If at all possiable I would look to the 232. I wouldnt think it would be that much more $ and it would be alot more comfortable. IMO. Quinlan
If you plan to do most of your boating in waters with waves and swells,
I too suggest that you consider a bit larger hull like the 232.
Mine handles the Pacific swells pretty well with its 23* deadrise.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Registered

Thanx so much for taking the time to help me. We will be boating on lakes exclusively, so I am comfortable with a 21' boat, but I really do like standing at the helm so maybe I will keep looking. After sleeping on the idea, my breathing has returned to normal and I am able to think rationally again. I will go slowly to ensure we get the right boat for us.

Thanx again!