New Motors

Notices

New Motors

Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalstone
Congrats Dock, those are going to be very sweet. Hope to hear them run sometime this summer!
I hope to hear them run also!
I'll keep you posted and look forward to seeing you on the lake.

I had the pleasure of going for a ride in a 36 nortech cat with 950's last month. The motors were stunning.
That's a very nice ride. We rode with a friend in Key West in a 36 with KE 1400 HP engines that had run 171 on GPS but the fastest we saw with the conditions was 133 on GPS which proved to be as fast as I needed!

I'm sure your's will sound equally as impressive.

Are you going with larger exhaust tips to really let them roar?
We pulled the silent choice off and went with larger tail pipes and dry exhaust a couple of years ago. One of my buddies called it "Wicked Nasty". It sounded awesome with the 500's and finally added mufflers because it was too loud to live with all the time. I plan to run the new engines without mufflers and see what she does before i put them back on. Trust me that you don't want to go to North Harbor for Sunday lunch in my boat without mufflers!

Thanks
Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Doc, What Did You End Up Putting Those Beasts In? Last I Heard It Was Going To Be Different Than The 36 Outlaw.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by KDAWG
Well Doc, What Did You End Up Putting Those Beasts In? Last I Heard It Was Going To Be Different Than The 36 Outlaw.
Kevin,

No we still have the 36 and are looking forward to dropping these bad boys in.

I found a deal that was too good to be true on a 38 Top Gun and it did turn out to be just that. He sold it for $50K more then he priced it to me at. I could not turn my boat fast enough and when that deal was gone I decided we could not replace the 36 for the money and had to back out on a good potential buyer.

I hope to see you at Cumberland in a few months.

Dock
Old 06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Okay here are the final numbers on engine #1.

Mark called a few minutes ago to make sure that this is where I want it set up at.

802.5 HP at 5500 RPM with 6.5 PSI of boost (4-3/8" blower pulley).

Max torque was 840 foot pounds at 3900 RPM and it was a pretty flat curve until 4800 RPM where is dropped below 800 foot pounds.

With the low compression and low boost along with the stage II intercooler I can run with 89 octane if I had to and be safe.

This has been a very interesting experience for me having never built an engine before. I never thought about the fact that you basically have an abundance of power with this setup and then you have to pick what you can actually use and make work in your application.

With the 4-7/8 blower pulley it made 705 HP and with the 4-3/8 it made 802.5 and that is a fully dressed engine. Either setup can and will break an outdrive any time I want to.

Plus I plan to have at least three sets of pulleys and with the MEFI 4B computers I can chane them accordingly and play with more or less horsepower.

I should have a picture of it on the dyno soon to share and mark is burning a DVD of it running.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 06-11-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered

Dock - Great to hear it's everything you are expecting!!

After break in. Will there be a day with the smallest pully and max tune for a century speed run

Dennis
Old 06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bowtye8
Dock - Great to hear it's everything you are expecting!!

After break in. Will there be a day with the smallest pully and max tune for a century speed run

Dennis
Dennis,

I sure hope to. First I have to get a feel for the boat. Crayola Crazy has told me that it will feel like a complete different boat and anything over 80 is new territory. Plus I want to make 100% sure that I can feel safe with the XR outdrives. That is my number one concern right now and I am giving some serious thought to selling both pairs of drives and buying some of the new SCX IMCO units. I have come this far and spent a lot of time and money and want it to be right and where we can enjoy it.

But yes I will have to see if it is capable of becoming the fastest 36 currently on the water!

Dock
Old 06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Dennis,

I sure hope to. First I have to get a feel for the boat. Crayola Crazy has told me that it will feel like a complete different boat and anything over 80 is new territory. Plus I want to make 100% sure that I can feel safe with the XR outdrives. That is my number one concern right now and I am giving some serious thought to selling both pairs of drives and buying some of the new SCX IMCO units. I have come this far and spent a lot of time and money and want it to be right and where we can enjoy it.

But yes I will have to see if it is capable of becoming the fastest 36 currently on the water!

Dock
Mark,

You're on the right track.....I'm losing faith in the
supposed greatness of the XR drives.

I had yet another issue with one last week ( pinion,
and upper gear( fwd, l/h rotation) teeth chunking out)
even after they were cryo treated, but at least it lasted
more than one season

It seems to be that if you get a good set, they're great,
and if you get a bad set, they're sh!t.

I'm not putting any blame on the cryo treatment,
because if you dont have a good foundation, you
cant expect the surface to hold up.

If they sh!t again, think I'll try regular X gears.

Those SCX's look like the ticket, especially with
800 hp and a 8300# boat......the XR's will be short lived.

Buy the SCX's and send the XR's to me and I'll
dispose of them
Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday

I sure hope to. First I have to get a feel for the boat. Crayola Crazy has told me that it will feel like a complete different boat and anything over 80 is new territory.

Dock
I agree. Ive always felt 80 was the magic #

Found a couple cool pics of Crayola Crazy running with one of the old 40 Outlaw Poker Run boats today while cleaning out an office. It was the 40 with the flames.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Registered

Dock,
I read the add. Whats the skinny

Those would run real nice in Jason's 29ol

You keeping the 500's or whole new plan?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dock & I have talked about me owning those motors. That ain't gonna happen. I'm happy with what I have.

Quick Reply: New Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.