290 MotorYacht owners

Notices

290 MotorYacht owners

Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics:

Old white sink and faucet with the opening for the TV/VCR combo above the sink.

Finished TV opening after the open back and sides were filled in and covered with black laminate.

My fixture for fabricating the door as it is an arch and all the old plastic lights that were replaced.

Door before the laminate

Finished and installed door with new sink and faucet

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Old lights

New lights. Used the same ones also in the aft cabin, just turned down, vs up for better light reflection. I installed new halogen spot light type lights above the sink and in nose. Those don't put out as much light, so going to try to put in a 20w bulb, vs the 10w ones that are in now. If the extra heat doesn't get to be an issue. To be determined yet.

Amazing how much updated new lights make it look. All lights were ordered from an RV supply store on ebay. These items are common between RV's and boats since they are small in size and 12v. Not bad for $10 each, solid brass and nickel plated with halogen bulbs. No plastic here. I spend more time on ebay now than anywhere else. If ebay ain't got it, you gotta make it. It don't exist.

And finally the transom as it is now. All new wood and glass, holes have been drilled (covered with gray tape). Just waiting for warm temps to make the cutouts, a little touchup work on a few of the preexisting blister repairs, fill in the old trim tab screw holes, then recoat with fresh Interprotect epoxy barrior paint, then antifouling paint. I modified the trim tab mounts by welding thicker and taller SS plates to the mounts, and then will thru bolt them solid. No self tapping screws to back out/pull loose and letting water get into my new transom here. Be able to lift the boat by the tabs now. Yeah, there are tons of preexiting blisters repairs that were uncovered when I sanded the barrior coating off while working on the transom. At least they were all fixed correctly and doing just fine. The hull bottom only had a 1/2 dozen or so total. Not sure why the transom was covered, maybe because of the water getting into the wood and blistering up from the inside out???? Not sure, but sounds possible.

All work is done by yours truely....US1 and Mrs US1. Even down to the transom replacement job. She was right there in coveralls right in the glass and dust, 100 % of the time.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking great i am going to try and get some work done tommorow and post up some new pics i just wish i had a shop to work in.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bubba68
looking great i am going to try and get some work done tommorow and post up some new pics i just wish i had a shop to work in.
Thanks. Got a lot of time in this boat this winter so far, with a long way to go still. Forgot to mention, we also removed every trim panel on the walls that had the fabric covering, and recovered with matching white vinly for a more cleaner up to date look too. Several of the trim backer boards were coming apart and had to be replaced. The original was about 3/16" thick. I used a full thick 1/4" wood for better support and less wavyness. Looks way better and straighter now. Don't know what Baja used as the backer boards, but doesn't look like plywood. Has a very thin 1/32" or so as teh outer venier, with what looks like a wood foam as the middle layer. My brother is letting me keep the boat in his barn this winter. Not heated, but dry. I just plug the shorepower in when I get out there now and use a couple small electric heaters. 80* inside in no time.

Post your pics when you get a chance.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Bubba, can you do me a favor. I see you have the carpet removed in the cabin. Is there joint just forward of the bathroom door a few inches? My carpet is still down, so can't see for sure, but I can feel what appears to be a joint of 2 floor panels that is not flat. Almost like an underlying bulkhead was a little on the high side and the floor was seamed on that bulkhead. Can you eyeball yours for a seam at that spot, or even grab a picture of it?
Thanks

Where are you located and what are you doing about drives?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Registered

sorry i did not see your post until now i will check tomorrow if i remember and get u a pic

also are your drives counter rotation? and are they alpha gen 2 or bravos

Last edited by bubba68; 03-10-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

No problem. Actually have addressed that issue since.
We pulled the carpet up a couple weeks ago to put down new. There is indeed a joint there exactly 4' from the edge going to the aft cabin. The joint was far from flat, so I mixed up some fiberglass resin with filler and troweled it out to make the hump alot less noticable. Much better now. Considered sanding the the high ridge down, but that would have gone thru the layers of glass Baja put down over the joint. I didn't want to weaken that area with it being a high traffic location, so the tapering it out further worked best.

Alpha Gen II's. I assume they have to be counter rotations since I have LH and RH props. I'm going to buy 2 new drives for a peice of mind. These worked with no problems last yr, just have alot of corrosion going on. I don't have a trailer, so I want this to be turn key/trouble free for a good couple yrs once launched this spring. Also bought 2 new transom assemblies, same reasoning. Corrosion and time for new bellows. Didn't fell like putting any time or $$ in either the assemblies or drives.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

what would you want for your old drives?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Not sure, kicking around $500 for both. I don't want to mess with shipping them though.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you purchased a few items from ITC Incorporated?

XT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.