Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Check This Out >

Check This Out

Notices

Check This Out

Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all a bomb scare, if this boat is made it will be a check mate these guys are looking for someone to fund this ,anyways where is this factory .It must be in someones laptop in trunk of there car

Sounds like you have an ax to grind.

We all know how tough the boat business is these days.
I say that if these guys are willing to take the chance on bringing a good product to market, I don't care where they get the design from or who they copied.
More power to them!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pwam1

Sounds like you have an ax to grind.

We all know how tough the boat business is these days.
I say that if these guys are willing to take the chance on bringing a good product to market, I don't care where they get the design from or who they copied.
More power to them!
no ax to grind these are the Faction people ,Checkmate owns the deck and skater is letting them copy the hull It needs lots of changes if this get done it will be made by CHECKMATE I think it would a great thing to own a 40 that would do 90 with 525,s Fountains 42 only do 86 mph with 525
Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skater is building a 42 V, just started hearing about it. Pictures in another thread. I guess they got the handling issues of the 39 worked out.

426 Skater Vee Coming Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The all new 426 Vee from Skater.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered

Looks like they took the pictures of the skater off their website. Nice!
Good luck with the new boat guys!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
no ax to grind these are the Faction people ,Checkmate owns the deck and skater is letting them copy the hull It needs lots of changes if this get done it will be made by CHECKMATE I think it would a great thing to own a 40 that would do 90 with 525,s Fountains 42 only do 86 mph with 525
Checkmate does NOT own the tooling, we do. Just call Doug Smith and ask him. The hull is not a copy of a skater look at the website and see for yourself. And like I said before in this post We designed the hull from scratch in multisurf.

Evolution Performance
Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I spoke yesterday with a friend in the marine industry (no one that is on this forum) that knows Chris Grueber and he had very good things to say about him. He also told me that Pete's father knows what he is doing with stepped hull boats.

This is a NEW start up company and even though they have a top deck mold for the 399 Skater the hull will be totally new. Maybe a bad idea to post the old Skater picture but I really see no harm. When you are starting from scratch it is tough. I think they have made it pretty clear what their new hull will be.

If I am understanding correctly these will be built in the Checkmate Factory starting out which I think is a great idea.

When I went out on my own in 1993 and started my business I made several mistakes and learned a lot of things the hard way. It is really tough starting from scratch but these guys know how to design and build boats, they will be in a factory that houses 100+ years of boat building experience and they seem to have the desire to make it happen. My hat is off to them because I had a strong economy back in 1993 and these guys are breaking into the market in the worst performance boating economy I have experienced.

How about we all stop and take a deep breath, and look at this as how can we help these guys succeed. When I started every kind word and suggestion was appreciated. We are the future owners of their product and it seems like we would rather find fault instead of offer helpful advice.

Who knows they could be the next Skater one day and here we are watching it from the ground floor. They sure have an uphill climb ahead and at the prices quoted there cannot be much profit but you have to start somewhere and get the product on the water, in the poker runs and race course and let it prove itself one way or the other.

I really hope I am not speaking out of turn here and if you PM me Chris I will be happy to tell you who I spoke with. He is not someone that ever comes on OSO but started building boats himself 30 years ago and you have talked with him about this project.

I admire you guys for following your dream, I respect anyone that is willing to accept the hard work head on to start up a business and I wish you guys the best of luck and hope you get to enjoy the fruits of you labor in the years to come.

Good luck in Miami also.

Doc
Mark Terry

P.S.

What excites me also is how Bucyrus is coming back to life in the marine industry.

Checkmate
Sacentti Marine
Evolution
XT Innovations
Kustom Kolors
Lakeway Boat Repair

One stop shopping in the performance boat world!

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 02-10-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered

Thanks Doc,
I could not have said it better myself. So it looks like we will be using XT innovation for our interior and we will probably be receiving some form of help from Checkmate.

Evolution Performance Boats
Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday

What excites me also is how Bucyrus is coming back to life in the marine industry.

Checkmate
Sacentti Marine
Evolution
XT Innovations
Kustom Kolors
Lakeway Boat Repair

One stop shopping in the performance boat world!
Doc,

Maybe its time for you to talk to the bank about buying the old Baja factory and get all these companys under one roof. Its almost unbelievable to walk in that place today and see how much room is there!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Evolution
So it looks like we will be using XT innovation for our interior and we will probably be receiving some form of help from Checkmate.

Evolution Performance Boats
That's great to hear about XT!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
Doc,

Maybe its time for you to talk to the bank about buying the old Baja factory and get all these companys under one roof. Its almost unbelievable to walk in that place today and see how much room is there!
Greg,

I think all of you guys have a good thing going up there and a bright future ahead. I know nothing about building boats. That and the fact that I strongly believe the person signing the note at the bank needs to fully know and understand the business plus be hands on leaves me out. Number #1 reason is Bucyrus is a nice place to visit but I don't want to live up there in that COLD & SNOW! It's bad enough down here!

You may want to talk with the mayor of Sandusky. He would be your man.

Doc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.