Road to 60mph in a Baja 232 Islander >

Road to 60mph in a Baja 232 Islander

Notices

Road to 60mph in a Baja 232 Islander

Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Road to 60mph in a Baja 232 Islander

How fast should my stock motor 232 go? Looking for cheap speed. I know I know, there is no cheap mph. It had a new 454 carb motor put in last fall. 21 mirage 50 mph at 4800 rpms gps I am not looking for a 100mph boat just a fun 60+ boat for a couple years. I have a couple other props to try 3 blade stainless one is a labbed 23 to 25 how much power will it take to turn that? New to this and just trying not to buy parts twice.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Is that a 330HP engine? If it is a replacement engine what specs was is built to? You should only be turning the engine in the 4600 RPM range. You should see about 55 MPH with a 21 mirage, your slip numbers are about 21% that is really high. Are you sure your tach is accurate? Are you trimmed up for max speed? Again there is no cheap HP, you will need 400HP or better to get 60MPH.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a buddy of mine just bought a 97 232 islander with a 502 with aoround 450 hp and it runs 71.6 mph on a handheld etrex gps it has a 25 pitch labbed prop but no markings on it to tell who made it and it also has a stern jack spacer in the outdrive
Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DareDevil
see below.he knows it all !!!!!!!
You are really to much. Why would you tell a guy to run his engine at 5000 RPM when is not made for that. You really have issues. But we are all used to your off the wall comments and I do not really want to get into another pissing match with you.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Is that a 330HP engine? If it is a replacement engine what specs was is built to? You should only be turning the engine in the 4600 RPM range. You should see about 55 MPH with a 21 mirage, your slip numbers are about 21% that is really high. Are you sure your tach is accurate? Are you trimmed up for max speed? Again there is no cheap HP, you will need 400HP or better to get 60MPH.
i think its the 330 hp i didnt get a lot out of the guy i bought it from. i have noticed a few wires that we not connected...anchor light...blower. the boat has flaking bottom paint how much is that hurting me? i am sure the tach is right but am willing to check it. i have adjusted the trim up until i get a rooster tail max with just me is still 50 the skeg has a chunk out of it and the cavi. plate has a little bend on one side. i pull a knee board and tube and dont want to give up the ability to do it but i would sure like to see some more speed.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DareDevil
I said u know it all, so why are u angry ?!
You are really not helping anyone when all you do is stir things up. People post on the forum looking for advice. There are things that I have no experience with and I post asking for advice also. You are always making comments without getting more details. I will not be calling you any names that will just be playing your game.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered

Last edited by warrantykiller; 06-01-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Wrong code
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered

I plan on getting the bottom paint off and it came off the back and sides where it wrapped up onto the graphics fairly easily. It looks like a couple layers thick and chipped under the top layer as well. Is the outdrive hurting my speed to? the prop says baja marine on it so i am guessing its 13 years old but other than the very dull edge seams ok a few small chips and dings. Do i need a lower unit spacer...what is first to help improve my slip numbers. I am hoping to try these other props wed morning. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

I have heard of bottom paint scrubbing off speed. Do a search and you may find more info on how to remove it. Because of the small cam and peanut port heads the engine runs out of power at 4600 anyway no need to turn it any more. In addition the engine has cast internals and is not designed for the higher RPM. My boat is similar to yours and when it was stock with a 330 it ran 55MPH. Also I have known people with the same boat you have and they all ran 21p mirage props at 4600 RPM at 55 MPH with around 11% prop slip. The same as my boat did when it was stock. I have mine running 74MPH and have been through a lot to get it there. I hope to have 76 out of it next week after I do another mod. There are other people on here that should back up that info.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Registered

I looked around and tried the easy off...the best way i have found is with a razor and 1000 grit wet sandpaper then 2500. Its not tooooo bad just slow go. I have another 21 mirage it has a couple dings in it but has been labbed at some point in its life and then i have this three blade 23 that is now stamped 25. it was labbed a couple years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.