Engine Corrosion >

Engine Corrosion

Notices

Engine Corrosion

Old 06-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Corrosion

I have a 1994 Baja 24 Outlaw with the 454 Magnum engine. The boat is stored outside (trailered), and I can't seem to keep the engine compartment dry. Every time I use the boat and first lift up the sundeck, the engine is just full of "sweat" and dripping wet with condensation. As a result, I had to pull the engine recently to do some preservation work. I have to pebble-blast the manifolds, as they are really rusty on the bottom. The bottom of the block is also really rusty, and my oil pan is bubbled up and actually leaking oil through the bubble (rusted completely through) Inside storage is hard to come by around here, so any tips would be appreciated. I heard they make solar powered fans or something that circulate air though the engine compartment to dry it out when stored ????

I am going to pull the engine this winter and start modifying with headers, cam, carb, ect. I don't want my "new" engine to have the same problem next year. Also - if anyone knows where I can get a completely waterproof cockpit cover for cheap, let me know.

Other than this, I can't complain about my 24 outlaw - great affordable boat.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Corrosion-new-baja.jpg  
Old 06-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the engine is sweating it must be running cold. If should be at least 140 degrees. If your guage is showing at leasr 140 then you should test the guage to make sure it is accurate.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

Wouldn't ya know it?? This spring I discovered there was no thermostat in the water line, and the gauge never even bumped off the bottom. I installed a thermostat, and now i'm running about 165 degrees.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:16 PM
bajah2x105

Thumbs up

Good call Tinker!

Old 06-19-2002, 08:16 AM
Registered

Did you notice a power increase after the thermostat? If that motor was running that cold it couldn't have been producing top HP.

Brian
Old 06-19-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on a boat a few years ago. It does not matter how hot the engine runs. You are having a condensation problem related to air temperature and humidity. If you are storing the boat outside in warm humid air then when the temperature rises in the morning the big cast iron engine takes longer to warm up and water will condense on the outside of the block.

Go to West Marine and buy one of those heaters thats supposed to prevent mildew in the cabin. Get the one with the built in fan. Plug it in and leave it in the engine compartment near the engine. The unit will keep the air around the engine warm enough so that the moisture will not condense out. This worked like a charm for me. The engine would stay completely dry during storage.

If you have to store the boat outside in the humidity under a cover then this is the best solution.

Ron
Old 06-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

I think my oil pan problem is from the engine not coming up to temp. The moisture doesn't get evaporated out of the oil if the boat is not up to temp, and I think that is why the oil pan is rusting from the inside out.

The corrosion on the block and such must be from when it is stored - I'll look into getting that fan to circulate air.

Thanks a bunch guys.......