Sales tax, or not?

Old 07-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Allan4

Ditto.......

Old 07-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that in TEXAS if it is documented you don't have to pay sales tax, but it does cost to document it, just a lot less than taxes and you don't have registration numbers, GAMEMAN would probably know more about this situation
Old 07-12-2002, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I just went through this last spring. I bought a Top Gun Cig. in Mo. and brought it home to Maine. I had the boat Coast Guard Documented and it is registered under the boat name of "Smokin" and has the home port on the transom. It cost around 500.00 for the documentation fee and that`s it!

I do not have any numbers on the boat at all and I did not have to pay sales tax
Old 07-12-2002, 02:45 PM
Registered

Mine is documented and still had to pay sales tax here in Indiana.
You dont have to register it with the state when it is Coast Guard documented.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:49 PM
OutlawBayB

Originally posted by liquid asset
I'm pretty sure that in TEXAS if it is documented you don't have to pay sales tax, but it does cost to document it, just a lot less than taxes and you don't have registration numbers
Liquid,
You do have to pay sales tax here in Texas. It cost us roughly $4500 check payable to Texas Parks and Wildlife. We didn't have all our paperwork back from being Coast Gaurd Documented, but you do have to sign a lot of paperwork, provide copies (we only had the bank originals) and $$$ value/cost (which was clearly shown on the paperwork) etc. [Lucky for us they took the money we put down off the total amount to tax]

Tax in Texas is 7.25%, like buying a car.

Yeah, sure we could've said we only paid like $30k for it-but I would not want to be around to get busted!

Oh yeah, if you DON"T get US coast gaurd documented, then YES you will have those TX numbers on the side of your boat.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tax here is 6.25%, and GAMEMAN and several others got documented and did'nt have to pay sales tax,it cost roughly 675 and you have to have all paperwork on board and the name it is documented under posted on the boat and do not have to have tx numbers, but if the patrol doesn't already know be prepared to be checked, GAMEMAN got checked the first time out
Old 07-22-2002, 11:26 AM
OutlawBayB

Coast Gaurd Documentation is @ $500. If you have the name on the boat, you do not have to have the tx numbers. But as far as the sales tax where you & gameman are-I'd be real careful. It can get tricky. I can't imagine why ya'll wouldn't have to pay sales tax w/in the same state???????Unless, it was in the financing thru the dealer.

Old 07-22-2002, 07:27 PM
Registered

Here's how it worked for me in California at least. If you buy a boat out of state, and don't bring it in state for 90 days, then there is no sales tax.

The good thing is that they have no clue when you bring it in state. So, you put 90 days after the purchase date on the registration form, and your good to go. Reg fees, but no tax. The only down side is you can't register it for 90 days, so you need to just avoid the police / coast guard while your boating.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:14 PM
OutlawBayB

Originally posted by OutlawBayB

Tax in Texas is 7.25%, like buying a car.
Sorry, Tax is 6.25%. For some reason I was comparing where we're deciding to live is 7.25% vs. 8.25%, my bad. It's still tax and a hefty one on such a large amount.