1988 baja force 265 owners or opinions >

1988 baja force 265 owners or opinions

Notices

1988 baja force 265 owners or opinions

Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 baja force 265 owners or opinions

I have been looking and wanting a boat for a while and my father in law told me today that he would sale me his baja 265 for a good price. I have been out on the boat a few times in the last couple years and although its not exactly what ive been looking for I dont think I can pass it up. He has owned it for the last 15 years and its in great shape for an 88. Has a beefed up 454 that has been bored and rebuilt twice so no stock parts left except block and not sure of cubic inches now. Its a heavy boat and hes running a 19p prop so it tops out at 60-63 but it seems to be solid and rides well and I love the sound of it especially at idle (has a nice cam in it). I was just wanting to hear some peoples opinions especially owners or former owners and was wondering what people had done to update swim plateform, dash, etc. Also what I could do to bring the paint back to life and brighten up the colors. I appreciate any and all input.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ckcgobigblue
I have been looking and wanting a boat for a while and my father in law told me today that he would sale me his baja 265 for a good price. I have been out on the boat a few times in the last couple years and although its not exactly what ive been looking for I dont think I can pass it up. He has owned it for the last 15 years and its in great shape for an 88. Has a beefed up 454 that has been bored and rebuilt twice so no stock parts left except block and not sure of cubic inches now. Its a heavy boat and hes running a 19p prop so it tops out at 60-63 but it seems to be solid and rides well and I love the sound of it especially at idle (has a nice cam in it). I was just wanting to hear some peoples opinions especially owners or former owners and was wondering what people had done to update swim plateform, dash, etc. Also what I could do to bring the paint back to life and brighten up the colors. I appreciate any and all input.
It's a big boat for the size. Lots of room and a pretty good wave crusher. Reason it takes some power to get it going.

Updates are all in what you want to do. Does it have paint or you talking about the in gel graphics. If they are in gel a good buffing will make it shine again. If it is paint you may be looking at more. If you don't like the colors of the graphis a bit of vinyl graphis over it does wonders, and you can always use a shaker can.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

It has the in gel graphics so I'm hoping that I can bring the color back out with some cleaning and polishing maybe. I like the boat and all the room but I know it's heavy. I'm also thinking about updating dash? Doing something with teak platform or replacing with powder coated aluminum but that's costly. Also thought about taking rail off front of boat but think that would be trouble and not turn out great trying to plug screw holes and make look good. Thanks for your input love to see pics of your boat.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Fortunately when I bought mine the rail was already gone, they plugged the holes w/ a rubber that I have no idea where they got. The gel does shine up nicely w/ a 10,000 grit. I love Leverage, but it is hard to find anymore.

Heavy and a wave crusher. They built 265's w/ either a single 330hp BBC or twin 350 SBC's. To me it seems like twins are the answer. (long story) But I can't go slow neither...

I redid my dash in a marine grade polymer w/ ebay Gaffig gauges. It helps the old school sled look.

If this has been in the family, taken care of, and such, I think would be a good boat. Just don't plan on any poker runs any time soon! There are a few of us Force owners on here that will be happy to help/suggest.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Force 235 - just like the 265, but 3 feet less in the cuddy. i replaced my teak platform with a fiberglass platform off of an early 90's Baja Bandit. It fit right on like it was made for the boat, although the color is just slightly off. It really helped the looks of the boat, and is much easier on the feet. You may be able to find one used if you look around. I agree that the powder coated aluminum would look great, but costly, and I have been on these and found them to not be that comfortable. My daughter got her toe stuck between the bars stepping on it and was lucky she didn't break it.

You can't beat the cockpit room for a boat in this size range. I really wish I had the 265 instead of the 235 I ended up with. I am working on some vinyl graphics to update the look on mine. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 235 force. Mine is an 89 with the molded swim deck and I think it makes it look less dated with the molded vs my buddies who has the teak swim deck. I too, don't have the railing on the front and it makes a huge difference on the look of the boat. It is my first performance style boat and we have really enjoyed it. Like mentioned, it has a vet large cockpit for a boat this size!

As for the speed. I put a new 454 350ish hp motor in mine when I got it. With a 23 mirage plus I was just breaking 62-63 mph. I am in the middle of putting in another 450 hp motor so hoping for more speed. If yours has a 19p prop I don't know if you will be at 60. These boats aren't speed demons, but mine handles chop decent if it's a head sea or following sea.

Over all we like it and has been a lot of fun.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the prop slip calculator if you are turning 4600 rpm with a 19p prop and a 1.5 gear ratio and a 10% slip (doubtful) your speed would be 50 mph. With a 15% slip you would be 47 mph.
You will be very comfortable in chop but probably not the fastest boat on the lake.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ckcgobigblue
It has the in gel graphics so I'm hoping that I can bring the color back out with some cleaning and polishing maybe. I like the boat and all the room but I know it's heavy. I'm also thinking about updating dash? Doing something with teak platform or replacing with powder coated aluminum but that's costly. Also thought about taking rail off front of boat but think that would be trouble and not turn out great trying to plug screw holes and make look good. Thanks for your input love to see pics of your boat.
Here are some pics of our boat.

http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/...ye/Baja%20280/
Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

I'm biased, but I love my boat. Good ride, good room. Big enough for us to overnight on. It sucks gas while tubing, but the wake it leaves is great for launching my kids!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

A buddy of mine bought a 265 new back in 1987. His came with twin Mercury Racing 320EFI's with Alpha SS drives. It went very well for the day, speedo read 75. He ran it for many years in the ocean and it held up pretty well.

They like horsepower!

Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.