head gaskets >

head gaskets

Notices

head gaskets

Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
what did spark plugs look like??? if you find a destroyed valve make sure you check cylinder walls, if it didn't have inconel a valve probably broke and took out a cylinder wall, you MUST have inconel valves
What Force said - inconel (usually made by Manley) or also consider Ferea's super-alloy valve. Pricey - yes, but some have said that these even surpass the inconels in durability. This is the type of valve used in Top Fuel dragster engines, and what is required for a supercharged marine engine for durability.

Spend the extra money for the head studs and Cometic gaskets.

Also, if that full tank of gas stays in there for more than a month or so, consider pumping it out or burning through it under mild operation, because the modern fuels with ethanol in them can quickly go out of suspension and evaporate off the ethanol, and what you are left with is stale gas with a sub-par octane rating and possibly moisture in it. Not the kind of stuff you want to run thru your brand new high-$$$ supercharged engine at WOT.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did spark plugs look like??? if you find a destroyed valve make sure you check cylinder walls, if it didn't have inconel a valve probably broke and took out a cylinder wall, you MUST have inconel valves
when the new mechanic takes it apart i am sure he will do that, he said he is going to take it apart like a a rebuild and hopes he doesn't have to rebuild anything for my sake

i hope as well
Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Registered

he didn't mention anythigna aout the spark plugs, i am sure he will check it all out i hope
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
What Force said - inconel (usually made by Manley) or also consider Ferea's super-alloy valve. Pricey - yes, but some have said that these even surpass the inconels in durability. This is the type of valve used in Top Fuel dragster engines, and what is required for a supercharged marine engine for durability.

Spend the extra money for the head studs and Cometic gaskets.

Also, if that full tank of gas stays in there for more than a month or so, consider pumping it out or burning through it under mild operation, because the modern fuels with ethanol in them can quickly go out of suspension and evaporate off the ethanol, and what you are left with is stale gas with a sub-par octane rating and possibly moisture in it. Not the kind of stuff you want to run thru your brand new high-$$$ supercharged engine at WOT.
he is going to put the studs in and is checking into the gaskets to run in it for the set , i don't run it to rough, i run it mildly anyways, open it once in a while but don't but don't run it at high speeds for very long doing 75mph is rough on the face with only a winds deflector for a windsheild.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

Sounds like you are on the right path... Couple of pointers, .. Startron makes a great fuel additive to keep your fuel from breaking down, and it will even revive old fuel!.. I use it religously in my race quad. Also, it sounds like your not going to, but; dont hold the throttle open for more than 15-30 secs... All of your fuel issues are at WOT, if you stay out of that range as much as possible you shouldnt have too many probs.. Run good fuel, feather the throttles out of the hole( so you dont crunch drives) and stay away from long wide open runs, your sc engine will last a long time if you build it good from the gitgo.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bajapred
Sounds like you are on the right path... Couple of pointers, .. Startron makes a great fuel additive to keep your fuel from breaking down, and it will even revive old fuel!.. I use it religously in my race quad. Also, it sounds like your not going to, but; dont hold the throttle open for more than 15-30 secs... All of your fuel issues are at WOT, if you stay out of that range as much as possible you shouldnt have too many probs.. Run good fuel, feather the throttles out of the hole( so you dont crunch drives) and stay away from long wide open runs, your sc engine will last a long time if you build it good from the gitgo.
I will put some in. I just have to figure out how many gallons of gas i have in the tank left. I filled it up the sat june 23 and drove it for 2 hours and then back to the shop. I will put some additive. I usually run it in the mid 50 to 60. Running it in the high 60 and mid 70 hurts my face after awhile. I run 93 in it whats a couple of more cents right. I usually slowly bring it up to speed. But I have to push on the throtle to get the nose to come down and then back off. I at most may run it at 75 mph for 20 to 30 mintues to get to a beach club, but i don't do poker runs. I like to go fast at times and get the adreneline pumping. But after this expense I will sure to be baby it even more. I talked to my mechanice today and all of the things the guys mentined here, he is going to do the engine ect. I hope to run the boat a few times before storage time in early september, I havn't even cleaned it yet and wax it. It has been in the garage most of the summer so far. I even told the mechanice to back of the boost alittle if necceasry to save the engine. He did tell me the engine is well bulilt with a great set of heads on it as well as a great carburator. I just hope when he opens the engine up everything is in great shape. Thanks for the pointers. I still have alot to learn about this boat. hope to be out by august 1 and try it agsain and salvage some summer

Last edited by conneroutlaw; 07-20-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

FYI..with Startron..you cannot over treat your fuel..so if you take your best guess on the amount of fuel you have , then add 10% for a fudge factor..then put that much Startron treatment in..you should be golden