Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Safety of twin engines.  Can you get on plane with just one running? >

Safety of twin engines. Can you get on plane with just one running?

Notices

Safety of twin engines. Can you get on plane with just one running?

Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no trouble planing on one engine.....
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a spare prop with you thats a couple pitches smaller than your usual prop ,
If you lose one motor swap prop on other one with the smaller pitch prop,remove prop from broken side to eliminate drag and away you go,
it will plane way easier and it wont strain your drive and engine like lugging the boat down by running the bigger prop..
Anyone I knew running offshore always had one,,
dont know why no one has brought it up yet.
Guess not much need for it in lake boating..

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 03-16-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:09 AM
Registered

how much smaller? haha I have a single 3 blade 19P but normally run 26P four blades... haha thats a HUGE jump.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
not all twins have external tie bars... they all have the internal one thats how one steers the other. but you can trim those sparate with out issue. its the external ones that cause the problems.
Sorry, I was thinking performance boats this is Offshoreonly right?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 AM
Registered

haha I unerstand your point but your still wrong MANY Fountians, Baja, Formulas, Donzis have twins with out the extranl option...
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
haha I unerstand your point but your still wrong MANY Fountians, Baja, Formulas, Donzis have twins with out the extranl option...
If it doesn't have external hydr steering it is not a performance boat IMO.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I have a 33 OL and can get on plane on one motor. I have witnesses. I did it with a full tank of fuel and some effort. Once I got on plane I was able to run about 25-30 MPH. Lots of folks say pick up a drive but I left mine down as it helped the boat come up evenly. It did take some time to just build gradual speed and you really have to work the throttle and watch the speed so you dont blow out. It probably took me a mile or two to get on plane but once up it was worth the effort. Call BS on me but I was able to run from St Clair to Jobbie Nooner and back on one motor. Just couldnt miss the party. it just takes time and patience to get it up. you know how your boat handles and you can feel it start to come up and your speed will continue to gain. I kept the drives all the way down until I popped up then worked the tabs adn drives to find the best spot. but make really small changes to find that spot or you will be starting all over again.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Anchorman
I have a 33 OL and can get on plane on one motor. I have witnesses. I did it with a full tank of fuel and some effort. Once I got on plane I was able to run about 25-30 MPH. Lots of folks say pick up a drive but I left mine down as it helped the boat come up evenly. It did take some time to just build gradual speed and you really have to work the throttle and watch the speed so you dont blow out. It probably took me a mile or two to get on plane but once up it was worth the effort. Call BS on me but I was able to run from St Clair to Jobbie Nooner and back on one motor. Just couldnt miss the party. it just takes time and patience to get it up. you know how your boat handles and you can feel it start to come up and your speed will continue to gain. I kept the drives all the way down until I popped up then worked the tabs adn drives to find the best spot. but make really small changes to find that spot or you will be starting all over again.

True Story, I was there! Anchorman is the one that tows all the broken boats in our group back from Jobbie.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

I have been able to get mine up one time as well.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my 302 up on 1 motor. Definitely have to use tabs and play with trim as it laying over.