Baja Outlaw MPH Gauge Yellow >

Baja Outlaw MPH Gauge Yellow

Notices

Baja Outlaw MPH Gauge Yellow

Old 07-13-2016, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja Outlaw MPH Gauge Yellow

I am in the process of looking for to purchase a used 25 outlaw. It seems half of the outlaws I look at the MPH gauge is a rusty brown color. Why does that happen? It never seems to happen to the RPM gauge, only just the speedo. Is it difficult or even possible to drain the gauge and refill with clean clear water?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

It happens because there is a tube coming from your lower unit that picks up water which translates water pressure into MPH. When the clear fluid starts leaking(as all seem to do over time) the gauge starts filling with lake water. Pick up a GPS Livorsi one not only will it look better but its accurate. The gauge will match the old one perfectly except for the name on the gauge. If you do this make sure you plug that water line or you will have water behind your dash. I used a screw and a zip tie and it hasn't leaked so far. Check out my thread you can see the difference in the gauges. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...25-outlaw.html
Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by iaoutlaw
It happens because there is a tube coming from your lower unit that picks up water which translates water pressure into MPH. When the clear fluid starts leaking(as all seem to do over time) the gauge starts filling with lake water. Pick up a GPS Livorsi one not only will it look better but its accurate. The gauge will match the old one perfectly except for the name on the gauge. If you do this make sure you plug that water line or you will have water behind your dash. I used a screw and a zip tie and it hasn't leaked so far. Check out my thread you can see the difference in the gauges. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...25-outlaw.html
Thanks for the quick reply, so I guess there is no way to drain it and refill? Whats the cost for a GPS Livorsi.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plexoer
I am in the process of looking for to purchase a used 25 outlaw. It seems half of the outlaws I look at the MPH gauge is a rusty brown color. Why does that happen? It never seems to happen to the RPM gauge, only just the speedo. Is it difficult or even possible to drain the gauge and refill with clean clear water?

Thanks
They fill the gauges with glycerin to dampen the needle from bouncing. Over time the glycerin bakes in the gauge which turns it a tan color. Like iaoutlaw said just get a GPS speedo and it will never discolor and it's accurate.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

Empty Your inbox can't respond to your msg plexoer
Old 07-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Registered

You can drain the glycerin and put new in.. they sell it at drug stores
Old 07-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Taube
You can drain the glycerin and put new in.. they sell it at drug stores
Really? How do you drain / refill? Is it 100% glycerin or mixed with water?