Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
25 Outlaw Whipple Merc 525 EFI >

25 Outlaw Whipple Merc 525 EFI

Notices

25 Outlaw Whipple Merc 525 EFI

Old 08-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

By the grace of the shipping gods I got the correct input shaft on Saturday around 1pm. Had the drive on by 3. We were able to man handle it on without much issue. Got out on a local lake by 5pm just to see how it’d do shifting, planing etc. I tried the 5 blade round ear cleaver first. Was immediately happy with the outcome. Even with the big 17” diameter I was still able to get decent trim response. Planing is a little slower, usage of tabs is required, but once the prop bites it pulls pretty good even with just moderate throttle. The attitude of the boat and ride is overall just better. My wife even mentioned how it feels “lighter”. Sunday I ran my Maximus. It trimmed and carried the boat so well I didn’t try another prop. Slip might be a little high, 20ish percent, but that was not at wot. One issue I do have is torque steer. I didn’t have a torque tab installed because I wasn’t sure if I’d need it with the bravo style props, but I do. So that kept me from really opening it up but so far I am very pleased with the results.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Registered

Old 08-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Registered

Made it out last week to run a couple props. Strange results. 4 blade cleaver hooked up the best, about 9% slip or 4% better than the 17” 5 blade round ear cleaver or bblades 5 speed prop. I was able to turn the 4 blade higher rpm so that might hav something to do with it, lower slip at higher rpm. But the 4 blade created bad stern lift, so I couldn’t run it pad 83mph. 5 blade cleaver went to 5050ish rpm, about the same speed. Bblades 5 speed didn’t hook up as well as I would’ve thought or was hoping. Porpoised at cruising speeds and didn’t have the bow lift the Maximus did. And then I ran out of time and could put the Maximus on. Have yet to talk to Brett at bblades and ask him wtf is with a 4 blade hooking up better than a 5 blade. It could be the rounded tips on the 5 blade vs the sharp tips on the 4 blade cleaver. And realists could be completely skewed with the 2 footers I was running in. Not the most ideal for wot but was fun in and out of the water.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool! I have really enjoyed reading your thread. It makes me want to put some big power in my 26 Outlaw! haha. Keep us updated on your prop progress.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Registered

Thanks TVMNick. I’m glad others find it interesting. I’ve read many interesting threads on this forum and am happy to contribute with my findings and info.

So so I was finally able to make it out with a go pro mounted in the notch. Got some pretty cool videos but nothing very clear at speed. But it does look like the water is in fact rising 3-4” which gives truth to the 1” rise per 10-12” of set back. At least this deep in the water. In a couple videos you can see the ends of the tabs are clear of the water, 22” tabs, so the 1” theory doesn’t apply higher up where the hull isn’t as deep.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Registered

I’m going to be making some plumbing changes over the winter. I’m going to remove the two stage pump and run the motor only off the pump and run the intercooler off a transom pickup through a strainer. I don’t think running water through the big intercooler at all times like idle was helping anything, especially in the cooler WI water temps.

Starting to get things figured out. In another couple years we should have her dialed in
Old 02-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Registered

Been going over what I need to replumb. Transom pick up, fittings, hoses etc. I think I’m also going to add four analog gauges next to the simrad. Think I’ll move the boost gauge there, add a oil temp after the oil cooler, water pressure from sea strainer that’ll be intercooler water pressure and one more I haven’t decided on yet. I’d also like to get real carbon fiber panels made for the dash/glove box. There’s a company fairly local that could do this for me.

Also finding more props. Think I’ve found a three blade cleaver, would like to find a 4 blade as well, all in 30” pitch and 17” diameter. That way I have almost direct comparisons from 3-5 blade cleavers. Probably have to buy LH and RH sets but there’s lots of uses for extra cleavers. Ceiling fan, steak knife, straight blade razor for shaving, box opener, kitchen table center piece, conceal and carry, hold my beer watch this frisbee, endless uses...

These 40 degree temps we have coming got me all excited. That’ll be about 65 degrees warmer than it was the past two days around here
Old 02-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Beautiful Boat. Just went thru your whole thread. As a long time Baja guy this is a dream build for me. The 25 Outlaw is still one of my favorite boats of all time even including other manufacturers. Nice job.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Registered

Thanks CT. Still a lot work to be done but it’s been a great learning experience and fun. If someone asked my opinion about undertaking a project like on their boat, I honestly don’t know what I’d tell them.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Registered

Got my new panels just about done. Just have to get them clear coated. Carbon fiber and kevlar. Btw, kevlar is kind d a pain to work with... the stuff is tough, that’s for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.