Notices

29 outlaw cabin drain

Old 06-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 29 outlaw cabin drain

Mike,

I hope you do not have the same problem we had with the 36.

Bought the boat new, we stored it indoors but started getting water in the forward bilge. The forward bilge pump would come on when we trailered, I saw it out the truck mirror and that was my first clue of water. Then we watched it and the wife would clean it up after every time we used the boat and it was a complete mystery as to where it was coming from.

The water was always very dirty looking and at one point I suspected the toilet plumbing was leaking, but upon inspection I found that was not the case.

The dealer had no clue, it drove me nuts for three months. I checked everything I could check and we could not figure out why we had about a gallon on water in the forward bilge every time we used the boat.

Late in the season while over nighting the wife discovered the headliner was turning brown around the seams. Then shortly after it started to pull loose at the seams.

Our total focus at this point was on the headliner. Baja could not believe what we were telling them about the headliner. I think at one point they actually thought we had done something to it ourselves to mess it up!

Finally got them to agree to replace the headliner and when the dealer pulled the old one down he found that the hatches were cut in his opinion a little large and the holes were not sealed properly.

There were all the signs of water! It had also caused the problems we had with the overhead lights.

They corrected the hole size, put the hatches back in with the proper gaskets and sealed correctly, and replaced the headliner 100%.

We have NEVER seen a drop of water in the forward bilge since.

The water came in the edge of the hatch, run across the top of the headliner and found a way down and ended up where it was suppose to, in the bilge.

Seems that everytime we washed our boat we were the ones causing the water to get inside!

Problem solved for us, hope this helps!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jt29olhp500s
I don't think any of the 29's have a front
bilge pump ) I know my 98' doesn't.

And no, it doesn't drain to the rear.

If you get any water up there, you have to
remove the small grill/grate, by the step, and
suck out the water with a shop vac.

jt

Yes the 29 Outlaw does have a front bilge pump. ( at least my 2002 29 did.) I watched it pump it out. I believe the front anchor door allows water to get into the front portion, which in turn is suppose to be pumped out with the bilge. I have seen many of these bilges not work properly or the pick up is to high and does not get most of the water out. They seemed to be hit or miss on different boats. Just my experience.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the drain and sucked out the water with a vac. It was pretty nasty. Maybe a gallon. what a pain in the a$$.

The anchor locker drains out the side of boat just bellow the locker. I thought maybe the horn as Doc said the hatches.

I also found a gallon jug of water under the bench seat that had a hole in it that was leaking. It was full when we loaded and half empty when we pulled it out later that day looking for where the water may have come from.

If the water is from the gallon jug I can't figure out how it ran from under the seat to the hull. No trial of water to the drain only wet carpet under the seat.

I really feel like there was more water in there than what leaked from the gallon jug.

I'm going to take the garden hose to it this weekend and see if I can figure it out this weekend.

If the front bilge is only pumped out vs draining to the back, well this sucks. I can't have water building up in there stinking like that.

I guess my only solution is to figure out where is came from and stop that. To the best of my knowledge we have never had water in there in the 2 1/2 years we've had the boat until now. I would hope we won't have any more.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike0311
I have no kids, no cooler, boat is kept on a lift and the drain plug is in. I've also never been wet on my boat so that's not it. If it was leaking through the hatch covers then the cabin carpet would be soaked as well as the bench seats. Does the water in the bildge area at the stern flow to the front when it is leveled out? Any help is appreciated.

Mike

The water gets in from the anchor locker in the front of the boat. I had a small hole up there and water got in underneath the cabin floor and had no way to get it out. The new owner finally figuered this out after 2.5 years of me scatching my head
Old 06-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Registered

The 33' doesn't have a anchor locker. I'm going to take a look this weekend. Maybe the water has been there awhile but the bildge doesn't work. Thanks for everyyones advice.

Mike
Old 06-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

I took a look at it today. It looks like the water isn't getting pumped out. There is a hole that goes under the cockpit and another hole in the engine compartment so the water must flow back and forth from the engine compartment to the cabin, why, I have no idea. The water under the steps in the cabin was real nasty so I assume it has been there since I picked up the boat (May). I don't have any power to the bildge under the step. I tried all the switches on the dash and above the sink in the cabin but I get nothing. Anyone have any idea how this is wired up?

Mike
Old 06-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered

FYI, I have a 1999 29' Outlaw and it does not have a front bilge pump.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

If the 29 were to have a bilge pump. I sure like to know how one find it. I have not had the time to investigate anymore yet. But from what I remember there was not any hatches or bolted down covers to access that I saw.

I would not think they built the whole boat around a front bilge??
Old 06-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 29 didnt have a pump up front or any way to get the water to the back bilge