24 outlaw weight

Notices

24 outlaw weight

Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 24 outlaw weight

Originally Posted by Bigwavz
Remember it's not about how much/how fast it will pull, it's about whether or not you can stop all that weight.
Sounds like you have been watching too many Ford commercials

You know, the one with the integrated trailer brake unit...
Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Scarab man-

IMO you scare me. Why don't you just try and pull that much weight with a V-6 truck. Try moving thru traffic on a hilly interstate. You will be far behind someone with the right size vehicle. Then I truly hope that no one ever pulls out in front of you or cuts you off in traffic. Even if your trailer has brakes (mine had them on both axles) you will crap your pants when you really feel all that weight pushing you and your tiny little brakes are rapidly overheating because they can't do what is being asked of them.

Safety is paramount here and it seems that safety is not one of your priorities.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ScarabScoundroul
A 24 Outlaw can be pulled by almost any vehicle!!!
You could pull that with a Safari Mini Van with a 4.2L V6... or an Explorer, with a V6, or a Trailblazer with the I6, or an S10 Pickup with a 4.3L or bigger, or a Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 I6...
That's a small boat, and can be pulled with almost any SUV, braking shouldn't be a big issue with a boat of that size, as long as it has brakes (I know that sounds like a dumb statement, but you would be surprised how many people are towing 30 foot boats with no trailer brakes).

The key, is to drive slower and more cautiously. The limitation, I would say, is that you can't tow that boat across the country and expect it to last with the smaller SUV or van.

You see, boaters are usually towing thier boat a maximum of 30 miles. If you were buying a camper, I would suggest otherwise. Campers are usually towed an average of 400 miles. That's the difference. Towing causes heat in your drivetrain parts, and long tows cause excessive heat.

In summary, it depends on each case individually. But to say that an SUV with a 5000 lb towing capacity can't tow, or shouldn't tow, a 24 Outlaw is misleading. There's more to towing than the rating on the sticker.
Yah,,, be sure to tell that to your insurance agent when he denies your claim because you were overloaded.. and your out 30 grand for your SUV and another 30 or 40 grand for your boat,, and hope to hell you didn't hurt anyone else in the accident..

P.S. I towed my 232 w/ a f-150 and it did just fine, not great,, tried towing w/ my wifes explorer,, would't wish that on anyone,, plenty of power, but with the short wheelbase it was pretty hairy at highway speeds...

Last edited by Chris288; 04-06-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats crazy. Rely on your trailer brakes to make up for what the manufacture recommends. wow.

You could pull that with a Safari Mini Van with a 4.2L V6... or an Explorer, with a V6, or a Trailblazer with the I6, or an S10 Pickup with a 4.3L or bigger, or a Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 I6...
That's a small boat, and can be pulled with almost any SUV, braking shouldn't be a big issue with a boat of that size, as long as it has brakes (I know that sounds like a dumb statement, but you would be surprised how many people are towing 30 foot boats with no trailer brakes).

The key, is to drive slower and more cautiously. The limitation, I would say, is that you can't tow that boat across the country and expect it to last with the smaller SUV or van.

You see, boaters are usually towing thier boat a maximum of 30 miles. If you were buying a camper, I would suggest otherwise. Campers are usually towed an average of 400 miles. That's the difference. Towing causes heat in your drivetrain parts, and long tows cause excessive heat.

In summary, it depends on each case individually. But to say that an SUV with a 5000 lb towing capacity can't tow, or shouldn't tow, a 24 Outlaw is misleading. There's more to towing than the rating on the sticker.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered

i tow it with a 7.3 diesel excursion and is a piece of cake but i might get rid of it,im gtired of ford not having enough diesel techs and having it in the shop for a month,right now all 3 dealerships in my area are not taking any diesel trucks in for a month.

Last edited by TURBOED; 04-09-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TURBOED
i tow it with a 7.4 diesel excursion and is a piece of cake but i might get rid of it,im gtired of ford not having enough diesel techs and having it in the shop for a month,right now all 3 dealerships in my area are not taking any diesel trucks in for a month.
Not familiar with the 7.4, I guess you mean the 7.3!

What are you having to take it to the shop so much for. I only have 45,000 on my 7.3 but other then oil change, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter it has not been touched.

Guess I'm lucky because there are four dealerships all within 25 miles of my house that you do not even need an appointment for the above service.

One of the mechanics I go to church with quit and went out on his own. I'm sure there are other people in your area that now this engine, it has been around a long time.

Personally I would keep the Excursion. We have an 2001 Excursion V-10 Limited that we used to tow the 272 with with a Myco trailer. Total weight was over 7000 LBs and it handled it like a DREAM! The wife still drives it every day.

My 02 F-350 PSD does a great job with the 36 Outlaw.

Good Luck

Doc
Old 04-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

When my 272 was new (and still stock) weighing 4600lbs plus 1600 lb trailer my truck at time broke down and we had to tow it 220 miles behind my buddies 2001 z-71 chevy 1/2 ton,3.73 gears,p-265 tires,IT FELT LIKE IT WAS KILLING THAT TRUCK!!! I couldn't imagine something 500 lbs lighter behind a 4.3 w/5000 lb gvw,no way,you can never have enough truck. These vehicles with 4 ply rated tires get outright spooky at 65-70 mph with 6 or 7 k pushing them around,Smitty
Old 04-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

I can assure you that I would not pull my 24 outlaw with a " Safari Mini Van with a 4.2L V6". But I do pull with a 1/2 ton f150 superscrew 4wd just fine

Old 04-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

well dock sorry for the small displacement error,first the tranny quit and now it goes for like 3 to 4 miles and it shuts off,im not even going to try to diagnose the problem because first im no diesel tech and second it has extended warranty so the average church going mechanic is not going to touch it,it may be simple but it could also be a tuff problem,i like the truck but half the time the wife drives it with the kids so im tired of the tow here and tow there crap,and when you get there they tell you they're not looking at the truck for at least 2 weeks.