Notices

Jet Ski Jerks

Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I have one of the handheld airhorns always in the cupholder right behind my throttles,
its friekin loud and i have no problem blaring it at idiot jetskiers and boaters,
as amazing as it most arent doing it on purpose they are just that stupid that they dont even realize they are putting themselves in danger. A nice airhorn blast wakes them right up..
I keep a spare in the cuddy besides the standard boat horn.
I'm right there with you at the lake with the airhorn, my lake boats' horn is pathetic, and the handheld air horns are loud for sure. Sad part is I don't use it.
Our family's offshore fishing boat has a pair of horns off a Peterbuilt mounted over the flybridge. It's mostly used at night in the ICW overtaking a barge, and when within sight of the Coast Guard stations if there's traffic in the intracoastal or at the cuts to the Gulf at Port O'Conner or Freeport.

4bus, I'm certain that was a nervewracking pass when she came over into your line. I can see how she thought they had you on speed, our GP1300R's will destroy most all powerboats
up to the low/mid 70's, and then only a select few will reel us in on top speed. We only lose drag races to other modified jet skis. I listed them on C-list today if anybody's interested. They'll hit mid 60's in 1's and mid 70's in a 3 to 6" ripple, but they'll beat you to death attempting speeds in 2+.
One of the boys got tossed this weekend at 50 over the gunnel that twisted and sprained an ankle.
This, plus your near collision incident has gotten me to think that I should keep the slower ones and move these two.
People you can trust me on this, there's nothing more exciting/petrifying than piloting a 9' ski at 70plus.
They sit on a McClain aluminum dual ski trailer with mounted tool/gearbox and spare tire.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I'm right there with you at the lake with the airhorn, my lake boats' horn is pathetic, and the handheld air horns are loud for sure. Sad part is I don't use it.
Our family's offshore fishing boat has a pair of horns off a Peterbuilt mounted over the flybridge. It's mostly used at night in the ICW overtaking a barge, and when within sight of the Coast Guard stations if there's traffic in the intracoastal or at the cuts to the Gulf at Port O'Conner or Freeport.

4bus, I'm certain that was a nervewracking pass when she came over into your line. I can see how she thought they had you on speed, our GP1300R's will destroy most all powerboats
up to the low/mid 70's, and then only a select few will reel us in on top speed. We only lose drag races to other modified jet skis. I listed them on C-list today if anybody's interested. They'll hit mid 60's in 1's and mid 70's in a 3 to 6" ripple, but they'll beat you to death attempting speeds in 2+.
One of the boys got tossed this weekend at 50 over the gunnel that twisted and sprained an ankle.
This, plus your near collision incident has gotten me to think that I should keep the slower ones and move these two.
People you can trust me on this, there's nothing more exciting/petrifying than piloting a 9' ski at 70plus.
They sit on a McClain aluminum dual ski trailer with mounted tool/gearbox and spare tire.

See ya,
Kelly
I used to own a GP1300 that I purchased new, I did all the Riva stage 3 mods, and them some trying to chase 80 mph. Never got there but got 78 mph gps, and then I was left with a $20,000 jet ski. My ex girlfriend used to like jet skis over my boats...if you can believe that.

One thing I noted while owning jet skis and boat at the same time was

A. No one likes you on the a jet ski
B. It is always your fault when on a ski
C. Some guy in a $500 boat will yell at you, even when he is at fault

I don't miss the skis, and I can relate to owners of skis. However, I am not arrogant thinking I own the water. We were having fun with the ski in the video, then the fun turned dangerous so fast I couldn't even react. Lesson learned
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

4bus was not at fault and airhorns are useless at that speed and situation. I love riding PWCs and obey the same rules as the boats. Mainly look before you turn. A lot of them just don't look and that's what started this thread I am pretty sure. I am constantly looking around when driving my boat.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus

One thing I noted while owning jet skis and boat at the same time was

A. No one likes you on the a jet ski
B. It is always your fault when on a ski
C. Some guy in a $500 boat will yell at you, even when he is at fault

I don't miss the skis, and I can relate to owners of skis. However, I am not arrogant thinking I own the water. We were having fun with the ski in the video, then the fun turned dangerous so fast I couldn't even react. Lesson learned
A,B,&C how very funny but true. The only ones that seem to like us are the kids that yell at us to aim the roost their direction on the dock or on the beach, then the parents get upset, LOL!!!
Your fun on the water with the ski turned dangerous and my son in laws ankle is what prompted me to list the 1300's.
When we boys take out the skis everyone wants the fastest ones and we ALWAYS go out on boat/ski patrol to drum up races if the water isn't to rough.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Had a close call two weekends ago in the 1000 islands region. Was going in between islands at a high rate of speed, a jet ski came from my starboard side, looked over as if they were going to try to run with us. They came close to being in my path, looked again, then cut over into my path as I was catching up. These two girls missed the side of my bow by inches, you can see them fly by in this video, I was doing 88 mph at the time. What you can't see in the video is them nearly perpendicular to my bow, the video catches them turning away. Wonder what they said when they got back to camp? I tried to give them more room but as you can see there is an island on my port side and I was already turning away from them.

Excuse the editing, it is my friend Mike who thinks he is funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS7hpstIwbM
Running 88 in Lake of the Isles is a bit obnoxious. Can't believe you didn't lift at all for a potential hazard. My $0.02.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
Running 88 in Lake of the Isles is a bit obnoxious. Can't believe you didn't lift at all for a potential hazard. My $0.02.
Not quite as obnoxious as your statement. Glad you go all that from a video camera facing backwards.

Tell you what, you lift every time you see ANYTHING, because everything is a potential hazard right? I mean a wave, a wake, a boat, a buoy, fish, the sun, everything.....why even go on plane?

There is no speed limit inn LOTI. This jet ski and I were the only ones out (thursday, near dusk) The ski made eye contact with me multiple times (maybe you didn't read the rest of the thread) And the ski decided to start driving erraticaly at speed, not me who was running straight. I reserve the right to drive my boat as I wish, and aside from this incident I never have close calls or complaints.

Loving the internet safety police on this site lately, and they all seem to have one thing in common....they do not own go fast boats. Why are you here?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered

Not quite as obnoxious as your statement. Glad you go all that from a video camera facing backwards.

Tell you what, you lift every time you see ANYTHING, because everything is a potential hazard right? I mean a wave, a wake, a boat, a buoy, fish, the sun, everything.....why even go on plane?

There is no speed limit inn LOTI. This jet ski and I were the only ones out (thursday, near dusk) The ski made eye contact with me multiple times (maybe you didn't read the rest of the thread) And the ski decided to start driving erraticaly at speed, not me who was running straight. I reserve the right to drive my boat as I wish, and aside from this incident I never have close calls or complaints.

Loving the internet safety police on this site lately, and they all seem to have one thing in common....they do not own go fast boats. Why are you here?
All it takes is one 88mph crash into a jet ski, regardless of who is at fault, and then everyone is impacted by new speed restrictions. And just because you own a faster boat, I can't comment here??? I wasn't slamming you, just from the video it appears that if you collided, you'd possibly be charged with violating NYS navigation law 102-2, where they could say your rate of speed endangered others. I also think there's a 30 mph speed limit just before dusk up there, but not sure. Either way, if someone dies, you can end up in prison. That's why I lift; I don't trust jet-skiers because you can almost count on them to drive completely erratically. BTW, This is a forum, where people can have differing viewpoints, so deal with it.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

4Bus, I just read your longer explanation and it makes more sense. Sorry I didn't always read 14 pages of comments; the video by itself doesn't look too good on your behalf. I can understand the speed, trying to seperate from asshats, however if you did collide you'd still be stuck explaining to a jury how you were innocent, and that video is the only proof, and we know how a jury would side when you're driving a 38 foot Fountain doing close to 90. The whole situation complately sucked and we can all analyze it afterwards, but I still stand by my above post, that you'd likely be facing charges (justified or not). Goes to prove you can't ever trust a jet ski.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
All it takes is one 88mph crash into a jet ski, regardless of who is at fault, and then everyone is impacted by new speed restrictions. And just because you own a faster boat, I can't comment here??? I wasn't slamming you, just from the video it appears that if you collided, you'd possibly be charged with violating NYS navigation law 102-2, where they could say your rate of speed endangered others. I also think there's a 30 mph speed limit just before dusk up there, but not sure. Either way, if someone dies, you can end up in prison. That's why I lift; I don't trust jet-skiers because you can almost count on them to drive completely erratically. BTW, This is a forum, where people can have differing viewpoints, so deal with it.
And you may lift, that is your right, just like it is my right to let my boat stretch it's legs once in a while.....other wise I would not own it.

For stating an opinion you tried awful hard to make it sound like a fact.

The speed limit in A*bay is the channel going through town from lighthouse to bridge. Basically 30 mph day, and off plane at night. I was not in that channel.

There was no collision. You can spend your days worrying that something bad is going to happen at every turn, I chose not to live my life like that. But to state that I am in the wrong because I am less cautious than you is garbage.

I held my heading, I made eye contact multiple times, the ski was driving erratic. I was sober, had there been a collision I would not had been at fault....they would have hit the side of my boat, not the front, and my video would not have been a factor...it is my video and my right.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered

And you may lift, that is your right, just like it is my right to let my boat stretch it's legs once in a while.....other wise I would not own it.

For stating an opinion you tried awful hard to make it sound like a fact.

The speed limit in A*bay is the channel going through town from lighthouse to bridge. Basically 30 mph day, and off plane at night. I was not in that channel.

There was no collision. You can spend your days worrying that something bad is going to happen at every turn, I chose not to live my life like that. But to state that I am in the wrong because I am less cautious than you is garbage.

I held my heading, I made eye contact multiple times, the ski was driving erratic. I was sober, had there been a collision I would not had been at fault....they would have hit the side of my boat, not the front, and my video would not have been a factor...it is my video and my right.
I wasn't talking about that channel either. I thought there was a near dusk (30) and post dusk (15) speed limit in the entire area. I never said you were right or wrong, just that you didn't lift. I don't spend my life worrying about every turn. Why did you post the video if you can't take the feedback from others of what our first impression is from watching it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.