Notices

Jet Ski Jerks

Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going just by the video posted, this is what I see:
  • I see a small wake on the starboard side of the boat that is fairly close and on a semi-parallel course
  • I see that wake get bigger and still semi-parallel but intersecting, then....
  • I see a waverunner that is being passed WAY too close for the speeds being driven
  • I see that the waverunner driver probably didn't have eyes in the back of his head
  • I see that the waverunner didn't realize this boat was passing at >25mph
  • I see that once the waverunner realized the boat was so close in passing, they turned way from the boat (probably scared)

Based only on this video, I would have to say that if there was an impact betwen the two vessels, the overtaking vessel would be at fault. The waverunner's course didn't change that much in this video but there was no reason to pass the waverunner at such a close range.

What if the Fountain had a mechnical failure at speed and altered course to starboard by 10 feet? Why people put others at risk like this (and their own financial well being) is beyond me. What about keeping 15-20 feet of distance (minimuim) between vessels for every 10mph of forward speed? Would that make boating be any less fun?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
And you'd be proving to a jury that they hit you, and you didn't hit them. Oh well.

How come you ran between those two islands, and not to the south of them where it's alot deeper? It can be as shallow as 2-3 feet deep on that side while it's 6+ on the other side.
Wouldn't be hard to prove with a hole in the side of my boat. Plus.....this just in, they didn't hit me

Normally I run the south side of the island, there was a guy fishing on the south side of the island, just of the south shore point, I went to the north side. 8 ft of water if you stay close to the island and away from the north shore.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

I think a lot of good will come from this near miss like the LOTO Fountains video.
Wake up calls don't have to come from collisions, stuffs, and ejections.
On the LOTO video I learned about my unsafe leash on my lanyard because I liked it long to reach the port side gunnel while in motion, I could have been tossed to the deck, and in the meanwhile my boat would still have been under power with the drives engaged and no pilot.
On this video I learned that you never can trust a jet ski rider, who wants to race or not, to hold his line. Not that I ever trusted one before, now I'll keep sharper attention on my passing of any vessel carrying higher speeds like mine during the pass.
While many may think of some of these posts as a catfight I disagree, the sharing of input ilke this will make everybody a little bit wiser when they're faced with the same situation.

I'm thankful that it was simply a close call, and am optimistic that the girl operating the PWC got a bit of a wake up call herself. She put herself in a bad spot on the water at a high rate of speed with her actions regardless of who would have been held accountable.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Going just by the video posted, this is what I see:
  • I see a small wake on the starboard side of the boat that is fairly close and on a semi-parallel course
  • I see that wake get bigger and still semi-parallel but intersecting, then....
  • I see a waverunner that is being passed WAY too close for the speeds being driven
  • I see that the waverunner driver probably didn't have eyes in the back of his head
  • I see that the waverunner didn't realize this boat was passing at >25mph
  • I see that once the waverunner realized the boat was so close in passing, they turned way from the boat (probably scared)

Based only on this video, I would have to say that if there was an impact betwen the two vessels, the overtaking vessel would be at fault. The waverunner's course didn't change that much in this video but there was no reason to pass the waverunner at such a close range.

What if the Fountain had a mechnical failure at speed and altered course to starboard by 10 feet? Why people put others at risk like this (and their own financial well being) is beyond me. What about keeping 15-20 feet of distance (minimuim) between vessels for every 10mph of forward speed? Would that make boating be any less fun?
What you don't see is the jet ski "coming to get me" If I got off plane everytime a ski came to race, or jump a wake I would get no where. Sometimes they are like flies.

That wake was in video for about 4 seconds, that is how long that ski was next to me. When they came from the bay to my left they were making direct eye contact (both drive and pass) and I had already started to turn slightly left wondering what they were doing. Then then turned in line with me and got on it, so I stayed on it thinking they wanted to race (they always do)

What if the jet ski had a mechnical failure?
What if someone on the boat had a heart attack?
What if a rock dropped from the sky and killed us all?

Here is a secret, every single time you start your boat you are putting others and yourself at finanacial risk.

That ski came to me, I don't care what side they were on. I had 5 people on my boat and witnesses on shore. I was on a way to a friends house, in the back of the lake. Earlier that day they were chased down (and passed) by the same ski.

Lastly, had their been an accident this video would not exist
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I think a lot of good will come from this near miss like the LOTO Fountains video.
Wake up calls don't have to come from collisions, stuffs, and ejections.
On the LOTO video I learned about my unsafe leash on my lanyard because I liked it long to reach the port side gunnel while in motion, I could have been tossed to the deck, and in the meanwhile my boat would still have been under power with the drives engaged and no pilot.
On this video I learned that you never can trust a jet ski rider, who wants to race or not, to hold his line. Not that I ever trusted one before, now I'll keep sharper attention on my passing of any vessel carrying higher speeds like mine during the pass.
While many may think of some of these posts as a catfight I disagree, the sharing of input ilke this will make everybody a little bit wiser when they're faced with the same situation.

I'm thankful that it was simply a close call, and am optimistic that the girl operating the PWC got a bit of a wake up call herself. She put herself in a bad spot on the water at a high rate of speed with her actions regardless of who would have been held accountable.

See ya,
Kelly
Well said, while there are things I could have did different, and will in the future (this scared the crap out of me) but I will be damned if I am going to take full responsibility for it.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
What you don't see is the jet ski "coming to get me" If I got off plane everytime a ski came to race, or jump a wake I would get no where. Sometimes they are like flies.

That wake was in video for about 4 seconds, that is how long that ski was next to me. When they came from the bay to my left they were making direct eye contact (both drive and pass) and I had already started to turn slightly left wondering what they were doing. Then then turned in line with me and got on it, so I stayed on it thinking they wanted to race (they always do)

What if the jet ski had a mechnical failure?
What if someone on the boat had a heart attack?
What if a rock dropped from the sky and killed us all?

Here is a secret, every single time you start your boat you are putting others and yourself at finanacial risk.

That ski came to me, I don't care what side they were on. I had 5 people on my boat and witnesses on shore. I was on a way to a friends house, in the back of the lake. Earlier that day they were chased down (and passed) by the same ski.

Lastly, had their been an accident this video would not exist
You are free to justify your actions anyway you want. Like I mentioned, I was just pointing out what I see in the video. IMO, you passed another vessel far too close to be safe at that speed.

Here is my Comments to your Questions:

Q1: What if the jet ski had a mechnical failure?
C1: This is something to consider and another reason you want a safe distance to the vessel you are over-taking.

Q2: What if someone on the boat had a heart attack?
C2: If you mean the driver of the boat, another reason to keep distance (more than 15-20 feet) frrom the vessel you are passing? Your Q1 above has a much higher possibility of happening.

Q3: What if a rock dropped from the sky and killed us all?
C3: This is just a silly comment to try and divert attention away from the issue that you passed another vessel at high speed with (to me) an unsafe distance between the vessels.

You can only be responsible for your own actions and passing too closely was just that.....your action.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right of way or not. That was an azzhat move for both parties. Lucky there was no collision or worse.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered

Tough crowd (or people just looking to troll and get a rize out of me) that jet ski was next to me for 4 seconds, 4 freaking seconds.

If I did anything wrong it was letting happen what I saw happen, they wanted to race so I held my line. I was suprised at the sharp turn, it is what it is.

If It happened again at that speed, for 4 seconds, I am not sure what I could have done. Turning a stepped hul at that speed is not an option, at least any more thant the gradual left turn I was already making. Dropping the sticks and letting the bow rise and losing site of the ski also was not an option. Maybe I should have chapped the throttles back and forth and turn the wheel hard and we could have had another video for the world?

Had 4 people plus me on the boat, the ski came to me, didn't think they deserved to be tossed around because a ski came to pester, race, wake jump, whatever.

Some please explain to me how chopping my throttles would have helped anything here. Maybe they would have ran into the side of my boat at 70 mph vs 90 mph? WTF, there is NO TIME. If I came off plane, as I once was they would have sped off, just like before, and waited until I came back on to race, and wake jump. Maybe I should have shut it off and waited until dark just to be safe? Maybe I should leave the boat on the dock, just to be safe......oh, there was no collision.

I am really surprised and disappointed in some of you, a ski comes out of no where and nearly bites it into the side of my boat. I held my line, held my line, held my line. I have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

Would love to go boating with you guys, just keep you on my left, and I'll be on your right.. look out! I am going to do everything possible to hit you, everything. If you come off plane I will wait unitl you go back on, then slam you from the side....after all, It will be my right of way right?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered

Would love to go boating with you guys, just keep you on my left, and I'll be on your right.. look out! I am going to do everything possible to hit you, everything. If you come off plane I will wait unitl you go back on, then slam you from the side....after all, It will be my right of way right?
Your words speak volumes.

I'm guessing you couldn't turn because you literally had no where to go:
I tried to give them more room but as you can see there is an island on my port side
But then you say the opposite, when justifying why there was lots of room to run 88mph:
The land looks closer on the camera than it is in real life, plenty of room to let your boat eat in that lake.
This is why speed and distance between vessels matter:
Happened so fast I didn't even have time to turn the wheel or back off.
So which one was it:
This jet ski and I were the only ones out.
Or:
Normally I run the south side of the island, there was a guy fishing on the south side of the island, just of the south shore point, I went to the north side.
IMO, if you chose the south route around the island (and would've avoided the jetski), you'd have to slow down because the fisherman. So instead you took a chance and went to the north, leaving only a narrow line to run:
8 ft of water if you stay close to the island and away from the north shore.
Here's a link to a map of the area in case anyone is curious (also a great spot to view nav charts for free). The incident sounds like it happened to the far left side of the map, right about where the "ISLES" of the "Lake of the Isles" is written on the map.

I think both parties shared fault; glad no one was hurt.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Registered

Whoops forgot to add the link:

Here's a link to a map of the area in case anyone is curious (also a great spot to view nav charts for free). The incident sounds like it happened to the far left side of the map, right about where the "ISLES" of the "Lake of the Isles" is written on the map.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14772.shtml

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.