Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks? >

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Notices

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by E Colby
A few beers over the course of the day got a guy convicted up here in Maine after he allegedly ran over a boat later that night. The accident received lots of media play because it was a 32' boat supposedly running over a 16' boat, but as soon as alcohol became involved, it fanned the flames of hatred toward the owner of the bigger, performance-style boat. Skip the beers until you're done for the day.
I that case, the driver of the boat had 23 previous speeding convictions on the road His boat, named Impatience, ran over 100 feet inland with the motors still running The Judge was astounded, since he lied about his drinking (.11 after 3 hours after the accident), his speed (obvious by how far inland the boat got), and showed no remorse at all.

It's guys like that that doom the freedom for everyone. Unfortunately, he'll probably be back in the news at some point.

http://www.milforddailynews.com/news...or-fatal-crash
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I that case, the driver of the boat had 23 previous speeding convictions on the road His boat, named Impatience, ran over 100 feet inland with the motors still running The Judge was astounded, since he lied about his drinking (.11 after 3 hours after the accident), his speed (obvious by how far inland the boat got), and showed no remorse at all.

It's guys like that that doom the freedom for everyone. Unfortunately, he'll probably be back in the news at some point.

THREE YEARS IN PRISION FOR KILLING TWO PEOPLE! BECAUSE OF HIS DRUNKIN ASS! THAT IS NO JUSTICE THAT IS NOT EVEN A SLAP ON THE WRIST! WHAT HAPPEND TO JUSTICE IN THE COUNTRY! HELL BE OUT SOON!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Happens all the time unfortunately
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve

Tragedy. That sentence is unfair to the boating public. A scofflaw like that needs a lot longer to think about it. And withdraw from alcohol.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are totally dismissing the fact that the small boat may not have had any lights illuminated on his boat at the time, I think that's why the sentence was 3.5 years versus a manslaughter charge. It was at night with no moon, if the other guy had no lights, it could have been one of you that ran over him.

Before you start, I'm not defending the guy that was drunk, just saying if the guy didn't have lights on it could happen to any of us (except me because I pretty much quit boating at night after reading story after story like this). Now, the fact that he was concerned about his boat after the accident and not the victims, that's worth 5 years in and of itself.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a touchy one for sure. No drinking is of course the only way to prevent a stupid alchohol related accident. You definitley have to assume every person you encounter while boating is drunk.

I am one of those who thinks that a couple beers over the course of a day is ok, but I know my own limits and can actually hold myself to that. I will say I think it depends on the kind of boat you have as well. In michigan it is legal to be below .08 on the water just as on land. However on land people who have CDL's for example are held to different standards. I think there should be something similar for boaters. Anything over 500hp for example should be zero tollerance. If your boat goes 75mph you should not be drinking. Someone who has 4 beers and is operating a pontoon boat is a lot different than someone who is in a go-fast after 4 beers.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 86scarabIII
This is a touchy one for sure. No drinking is of course the only way to prevent a stupid alchohol related accident. You definitley have to assume every person you encounter while boating is drunk.

I am one of those who thinks that a couple beers over the course of a day is ok, but I know my own limits and can actually hold myself to that. I will say I think it depends on the kind of boat you have as well. In michigan it is legal to be below .08 on the water just as on land. However on land people who have CDL's for example are held to different standards. I think there should be something similar for boaters. Anything over 500hp for example should be zero tollerance. If your boat goes 75mph you should not be drinking. Someone who has 4 beers and is operating a pontoon boat is a lot different than someone who is in a go-fast after 4 beers.

This would just create many more loop holes, as if there not enough already.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 86scarabIII

I will agree with you in that one should know one's own limitations and live within them.

However the rest of the post is just stupidity. One can harn or kill another just as fast on a tooner as one can in a perf boat. Anyone explain to you that dead is dead, how one got there is somewhat irrevelant to the dead individual!!!

To rationalize this kind of behavior on that basis is just plain irresponsible. Period!

Perhaps the level should be tied to one's IQ, smart folks can be wasted, dumb azz ignorant folks not so much.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 08-30-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I will agree with you in that one should know one's own limitations and live within them.

However the rest of the post is just stupidity. One can harn or kill another just as fast on a tooner as one can in a perf boat. Anyone explain to you that dead is dead, how one got there is somewhat irrevelant to the dead individual!!!

To rationalize this kind of behavior on that basis is just plain irresponsible. Period!

Perhaps the level should be tied to one's IQ, smart folks can be wasted, dumb azz ignorant folks not so much.
If your buzzed in a 12 foot boat with a two hp Merc and you run over some poor suckers head bobbin in the water yes I am afraid he is just going to be just as dead! HEAR HERE!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge

well personally I think it's stupid to believe that someone on a pontoon that goes 15mph is just as dangerous as someone in a go fast that reaches speeds in excess of 80mph. That's like saying riding go-carts at the local putt-putt is just as dangerous as racing NASCAR. Give me a break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.