Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks? >

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Notices

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

New article in Performance Boats Magazine Jan 2011 issue. Excellent article, excellent examples given, and excellent point. I was almost hit by a drunk boater at full speed in Lake Travis at 11:00 PM while anchored with my wife enjoying the evening. YES the anchor lights were on. I had to power up and drag anchor to get out of his way. The behavior I see at times is atrocious and this article should be read by each and every member of OSO. As an owner of three boats I never drive drunk because I don't ever drink while boating. My crew may, but not me.

You comments please.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I definitely see some ridiculous wasted people driving who shouldn't be. But I do like having a few beers over the course of the day and that should be okay.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sitting out in the middle of Travis during the summer after dark is asking to get run over. I am supprised there has not been an acccident in the last few years. Last one I remember was a girl getting killed riding in a boat going from Cafe Blue to CNC when it got hit or hit another boat.

We can be sitting out on porch and you can hear the boats running hard gong by.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Sitting out in the middle of Travis during the summer after dark is asking to get run over. I am supprised there has not been an acccident in the last few years. Last one I remember was a girl getting killed riding in a boat going from Cafe Blue to CNC when it got hit or hit another boat.

We can be sitting out on porch and you can hear the boats running hard gong by.
Was that when the girl got thrown from the 29 Fountain that launched off a cruiser wake?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
Was that when the girl got thrown from the 29 Fountain that launched off a cruiser wake?
That was a 12 or 13 year old girl. That accident happened in the late afternoon. I was told Driver was not drinking and was a one boat accident.

The one I am talking about the girl was in her late teens or 20's. Boat was found when it drifted up to someones dock. There is a thread on it here. I will look for it when I have time.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
That was a 12 or 13 year old girl. That accident happened in the late afternoon. I was told Driver was not drinking and was a one boat accident.
Correction: The little girl was 6yrs old in that particular accident.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The little girl was Ricks daughter, friend of mine and that is correct he was not drinking, his boat had been repaired incorrectly previously and a big cruiser wake cause the boat to actually seperate.

As for nighttime on Lake Travis there is a minimum plane law it just isnt enforced. We dont need more laws we just need the ones we have enforced. Like not letting jet skis and wakeboard boats run circles 5 ft in front of private docks and marinas, not let people run 70mph at night when law says minimum plane speed,not let people with big cruisers and houseboats having their 6 year old son driving ( i was almost run over (AT IDLE) by a moron letting his kid drive a 100ft houseboat WHILE towing another boat.. If it wasnt for my airhorn I would have been hit hard.Not let idiots in big cruisers run at maximum plow speed right by anchored boats and then look back and laugh at the mayhem their battlecruiser caused with its wake.. Not let blowboters anchor in the middle of the channel with no friggin anchor lights. Not let moron parents tow their kids tubing down the MIDDLE of the channel on the busiest days of the year. I could go on all day..

While booze doesnt help there are plenty of friggin morons out there totally sober.
Just finished a big conference
( TAMEST / The Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas)
and one of the conclusions of the conference was the average American IS getting dumber with each generation. I already had assumed that but its nice to have actual evidence.

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 01-10-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Not let idiots in big cruisers run at maximum plow speed right by anchored boats and then look back and laugh at the mayhem their battlecruiser caused with its wake.

While booze doesn't help there are plenty of friggin morons out there totally sober.
That is so true. We take the Fountain to Travis several times a year and I was nearly smashed to bits last year by a tsunami produced by a 55 Sea Ray passing us at optimum plow speed while trying to pick up friends near a Windy Point area dock.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
That is so true. We take the Fountain to Travis several times a year and I was nearly smashed to bits last year by a tsunami produced by a 55 Sea Ray passing us at optimum plow speed while trying to pick up friends near a Windy Point area dock.
Yup,, proves money can buy a lot of things but it cant buy them brains..
Eventually they will do it to the wrong person and get their ass kicked when they dock..

I have been working on my boat , in my slip, in a cove , and had a wakeboard boat doing circles right in front of the marina.. He left when big nuts and bolts started magically flying at his boat.

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 01-10-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

The big cruisers is exactly why I stopped boating on lake Lanier in Ga. They just keep getting bigger and bigger. I personally think there should be a size limit. I'm sure there are quite a few pushing the 60 ft range. It is not unusual to be cruising along on Lake Lanier and have an 8 ft roller come out of no where.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.