Notices

props in or out??

Old 12-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: props in or out??

Originally Posted by Biggus
Good info and exactly what I've found with my heavy old girl.

..But I do enjoy the free speed!!!

Good talking with you in KW Jim,

Kurt
Boy Kurt, if thats true I really lost speed. I went from turning out and running 82 consistantly (82.6 on gps best) with the TRS with nose cones, to running 80.4 and turning in (and they are correct docks like crap) with the Konrad 540's .

Did you pick up any speed by switching to the cresent lowers?

Rick VDB

Last edited by 86Rette; 12-28-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I lost speed with the cresent lowers, but still run them. Konrad made me a set of welded on cresents that were 2-3 MPH faster. When they sent me the newer design the old ones were destroyed. I tried to get them back,
Old 12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Ours turn out (3a's) on our Gun. Great around the docks.

Turning in brings the bow up when airing out...At least with the Tigers. Prob. same with anything though.

How hard is it to swap it from out to in??
Old 12-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Everything else is the same, no porposing, boat still feels like its glued in the water.

Zero, did you lose speed going from TRS to Konrad though?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, 2-3 Mph. Must be the bigger gears, and all of the oil they turn in. I tried 1.7" shorter, 1" shorter, and the X that the TRS was. I went back with the Same TRS X deminsion. The Midrange cruise is better with the longer drive by 4 MPH. I use mine at Cruise (55 MPH) for long distances. 150-300 mile runs.
To swap rotation on a transmission boat just swap the drives from side to side. A bravo boat is easier, just swap the props and put the shifters in reverse to go forward. Becareful when returning to the dock.
Attached Thumbnails props in or out??-gun.jpg   props in or out??-dsc00278.jpg   props in or out??-dsc00267.jpg  

Last edited by Zero Patience; 12-29-2005 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Konrads have 110 hours and have been perfect. The lowers in the picture are the welded ones Konrad produced first. No bondo or filler.
Attached Thumbnails props in or out??-mvc-055f.jpg   props in or out??-mvc-058f.jpg  

Last edited by Zero Patience; 12-29-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

Sweet TG ZP, Rick pm Mr. Cig. from chicago he did the full konrad swap this summer to his 84 Flat Deck, and has been really happy. Steve
Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

86Rette,

As, you might already know, my Top Gun was the first Cigarette to be converted from Merc TRS to Konrad's and I've got to say I'm a bit puzzled by your findings.

When we first converted my boat, we installed the 1.6" spacers as to duplicate the TRS propshaft hight and the same pitch three blade propellers. (When I was running TRS drives, lower pinion gear life was pretty short with 4 blades) With the increased viscous drag and the much larger gears, bearings and shafts we actually expected to see a decrease in top speed.

When we did our first sea trial, we were pleasantly surprised that we did not lose any speed at all. This was attributed to the superior hydrodynamics of the standard Konrad lower unit over the antiquated TRS lower (no cones). (Konrad's HP lower was not available at this time)

Our next step was to remove the spacers. This put us 1.68" higher than the TRS installation. We instantly picked up 2.5 mph. No other mods. We then ran several sets of 4 blade props and gained another 2.5 mph.

What I have found over the past two years is that no two Cigarette's are the same. They each react a bit differently to the swap and need to be set up for the owners boating style.

Kurt
[email protected]

Last edited by Biggus; 12-29-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Biggus,Zero thank you for your input. After reading your threads I am convinced my speed loss is due to excessive drive height. 4 years ago we replaced the transom board and raised the X demension 1.75'' . We only put a 1'' spacer in the Konrads. I know this seems like splitting hairs but that .68'' could be part of the problem. Rick

Last edited by 86Rette; 12-29-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kurt, dont get me wrong, I am totally pleased with the Konrads. My boat has a high X from the factory. The CMIs had to be clearanced into the hatch because the engines are high. I tried shorter with P5Xs, but longer with Bravo 1s have been the best. See you in Miami for the show

Quick Reply: props in or out??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.