Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!! >

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!

Notices

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Baldwin
tomuchstuff if you are looking for ideas on how to do your boat up one of the goys posted a ton of pictures you will need to go back 5 pages to air dog cig20 picture book its great .Also if you happen to get it done by next fall you may like to bring it to our nexted 20cig outing you can read up on that on page 6 good luck itis a graet boat and reminber you can never have to much power

thanks a lot that is a killer post air dog has... lots of ideas...
Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered

ok.... so I looked at that post last night.. and finished gutting the boat. must have been to cold the kid that helps me over slept or the paint be stripped also...

There are a lot of stock boats that are super clean, and some nice newer ones, & some nice in between's newer seat with old style window, are some on that post modded to look like the newer 20's? I hope so.

The lip-ship boats are nice looking... Had to make a call down there and talk to them... Phill at lip-ship told me he made some new 20's with the glass window and he had rebuilt one old one to look new using thin ply wood and fiberglass. and was working on one that will have a fiberglass wind screen and the storage box. he also told me he thinks he has the only modded old 20' with the fiberglass wind screen and the rest were the newer 20' boats he built.... I did ask what lip-ship charges to do a total refit he seed it can run over 100k on the 20' and buying some ones finished boat may be cheaper... they do sell used boats also I think....

I think now I have all the bad glass peeled off. I need to rebuild the transom ditch that plywood for some cusco composit or some thing. rebuild and reinforce the engine bunks and burn up the 50 yards of bi axle kevlar I have been sitting on...

here's the plan on the transom ... me and my trusty crowbar are going to pry the two layers of plywood off the transom... then I have to grind the glass thin around all the holes.... there is less glass on the transom where the plywood is so I'll glass it level with polyester and roving cloth around 25oz. Then on the in side glass in the core to the transom. this will cover the factory hole's and the out board hole in the transom, I plan to run it to both sides of the boat so it totally covers the transom. There are two 3/4 sheet of ply wood in there now so I will have to repeat this all stacking 2 core's. Then layer the engine room in carbon then kevlar. Then I have to layer the holes on the out side with roving filling them all. then maybe a layer of carbon then kevlar...

As far as the window I think it'd be nice to build a mold of a hatch/window that is in the shape of the newer boat window so it can lift forward. it will have to be two pieces with a larger dash that can stay in place.

as far as the hatch I think I'll just fill the holes for now.. i think a twin scoop like the ones on the hood of a dodge demon on the out sides of the insert....

I do think it be neat if the hole back seat was a second hatch and lifted on an auto system.. to giving me some room to work...

???????time???????????
will a 454 fit with out cutting the stringers?
will it fit with out cutting the hatch?
is the motor bracketed to the plywood stringers?
or were there 2x6 hard wood bunks with plywood on each sides bolted to the stringers for the motors to sit on?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tomuchstuff - I was the guy who passed on the 20' Cig you bought. I am also the previous owner of a 1973 20' Cig that had a BBC and a Berkeley jet drive.

Give me an email address and I'll give you my thoughts and contact info.

Good luck with the project, and I'm glad you saved her from the scrap heap!

Harry
Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cig35Mistress
Tomuchstuff - I was the guy who passed on the 20' Cig you bought. I am also the previous owner of a 1973 20' Cig that had a BBC and a Berkeley jet drive.

Give me an email address and I'll give you my thoughts and contact info.

Good luck with the project, and I'm glad you saved her from the scrap heap!

Harry

thanks harry that be grate...

[email protected]
Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
thanks harry that be grate...

[email protected]
wow I was wondering why I never got a message from you..

[email protected]

sorry about that..
Larry
Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let's see some pics!!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Dave redid the transom and stringers on mine as well as we had a 75 gallon tank built instead of the normal 60. mine was originally a jet drive as well, the stringers on the small block and jet drives were closer together than the big block models. we didnt find this out until later so we will have to shorten our motor mounts by a half inch on each side. he has all the pics, mine are on my work comp.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean
let's see some pics!!
I'd like to post photos of the build but can not... do not know why? I have some of the boat being taken apart, and stripping the old glass, and preping her for paint... I may pull the cap from the hull and re core the floor and repair the transom and cap before 5200ing the cap back on the hull... so to say the least it may end up a very in depth re fit,,, my friends do call me crazy..
Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Dave redid the transom and stringers on mine as well as we had a 75 gallon tank built instead of the normal 60. mine was originally a jet drive as well, the stringers on the small block and jet drives were closer together than the big block models. we didnt find this out until later so we will have to shorten our motor mounts by a half inch on each side. he has all the pics, mine are on my work comp.
that must be why my stringers were cut down 3 or 4 inches at one point...

do you know the factory with of the stringers on the big block boats?

it'd be nice to just put in composit stringers now... cut the old ones out of the engine room and sister the new stringer to the old stringer under the deck for 4 or 5 feat if not to the end......

love to see some engine room shots..... like to see you boat also..

what is the frame that is bracketed to the stringers under the back seat...

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 02-27-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
I'd like to post photos of the build but can not... do not know why? I have some of the boat being taken apart, and stripping the old glass, and preping her for paint... I may pull the cap from the hull and re core the floor and repair the transom and cap before 5200ing the cap back on the hull... so to say the least it may end up a very in depth re fit,,, my friends do call me crazy..
If you host them elsewhere (I use picasa) all you have to do is click the insert picture button (Mountain with yellow sky and moon) on the toolbar and copy the link! Takes a little trial and error, but works great once you figure it out. if you want to email them to me, I'd be happy to post them.

[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.