Top Gun Questions >

Top Gun Questions

Notices

Top Gun Questions

Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Gun Questions

Hi I have a few questions about older Top Guns compared to newer t/s.
What is the weight of a kevlar hull 89 as opposed to non kevlar and newer twin step.

Cabins are they really needed how much weight is a full cabin and are there things to look out for that have a tendency to break.

# 6 drives how often do they need to be serviced or rebuilt, and cost.

And big HP blown motors how often do they have to be rebuilt and how much for a rebuild more or less.
You guys are real knowledgeable and I appreciate your help and if you can think of any other differences between the different year Top Guns that would be cool. Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Top Gun Weight

Per Cigarette, our '90 Kevlar with full cabin weighed 10,000 pounds fitted with blown Zuls/# 3 drives. Total weight with 2 people, misc. tools, and 100 gallons of fuel is 11,040. This is probably 700-950 pounds lighter than most regular TRS hulls.

Personally, I like the full cabin and the '90 layout allows 4 people to sleep. The twin sofas also work great for storing guests' bags, etc. for easy access while running. The newer cabins seem to be more suited for just 2 people and less baggage. It really depends on what you want to do with the boat....for me a cabin is a must. If you don't want or need a cabin, maybe a Gladiator would be an option.

As far as rebuilding.....you probably ought to do the valve springs/top end every 250 hours (not too expensive, I recently had it done). A complete rebuild "may" be required at 500 hours, although I've heard of much longer intervals. I think it all depends on maintenance and how hard you are on the engines. That is why it is nice to have a boat that cruises well below 4000 RPM.......

The gears in the No. 6 drives can actually be flipped to run on the other side. I've never had an issue with the 6's other than servicing the prop shaft seals.

Give me a call if you have any questions
Attached Thumbnails Top Gun Questions-cig-ad-3.jpg  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I have to have a cabin in my boat. I want to be able to sleep on it, and I want an enclosed bathroom - so that (and my budget resrictions) put me in a flat bottom.

The cabin switch over came "around" the 1990 time frame but be prepared that there are some 1989 boats with the newer cabins, and some 1990's with the older cabin - all depends on when they were stamped and sent out the door.

I believe I remember reading that the weight difference is a few hundred pounds.

Most people aren't cross shopping T/S guns and Flat Bottom guns because of price differences. If the cabin is NOT important to you, and your budget allows either than just get the T/S - it's a no-brainer under those circumstances.

Most guns have notched transoms but I believe there are some EARLY ones that are non-notched.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Notch came out in '89-90 depending on what month the build was, also with the notch came the updated better cabin layout with the facing seats and the counter.

Last edited by cigrocket; 03-03-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the full cabin. My wife and I can sit at the table that face each other and play games at night. Also, it is nice to eat there as well. When you want to have more fun, the bed is just a few steps away.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my 89 top gun had a notch in the transom!!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Kevlar 1990 has a notched transom.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO JET
Hi I have a few questions about older Top Guns compared to newer t/s.
What's your question regarding straight bottom TG's compared to T/S's? Two different boats. Cabins are different (cover girl vs. full cabin), hulls are different, different power (mostly), definately different handling aspects, dash and deck lid were the same for a few years of the orginal T/S's, a little less free board on the T/S's and more fuel efficient as well as 5-10 mph faster with compared power.

What is the weight of a kevlar hull 89 as opposed to non kevlar and newer twin step.
T/S will still be lighter.

Cabins are they really needed how much weight is a full cabin and are there things to look out for that have a tendency to break.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think the 90's TG's had the best cabin of any boat in its class. We use our cabin ALL the time however, we've never slept over night in it. We boat in many areas where it's nice to get out of the sun, chill out at the table, mix drinks, watch the tvs, listen to music, etc. The HUGE cooler was a big selling point for me and gets LOTS 'O use. The enclosed head is cool, but we've never used it (nor has the previous owner of our boat). The L couch that leads to the bed is very comfy and gets lots of use as well. We absolutely love our cabin and it's one reason I really would not want to own a TS. The T/S cabins are just too sparse.

And no, there was no history of anything breaking or any problems with the cabins on the 90's guns. They hold together really well.

# 6 drives how often do they need to be serviced or rebuilt, and cost.
Loooooooow maint.....But if they need ro be rebuilt or if they break...STAND BY!!!

And big HP blown motors how often do they have to be rebuilt and how much for a rebuild more or less.
You gotta be more specific. The newer large HP motors are becoming more and more reliable and lasting longer between major services.

I will assume (since you're not talking about buying a new 39 TG w/1075's) that you are refering to blown 1000 hp motors or the such.

I would say, more maintenance than you want to deal with. Valves should be checked every service and most likely will need to be gone through every 50 hrs.

Light rebuild (no block) are going to be in the ball park of 10k each (depending on what's needed). You'll prob. not get more than 250-300 hrs out of large HP/blown motors (if you are extremely lucky and run mellow).

You guys are real knowledgeable and I appreciate your help and if you can think of any other differences between the different year Top Guns that would be cool. Thanks
For the 90's Straight guns, like others have said, the cabin went from the cabin of the 80's to the cabin of the 90's right around 1990. Also in the early 90's the bolsters were changed from no "head rest" (not really a head rest) to having a head rest, the air intakes on the engine hatch changed from rectangle, to tear drop to some other style into the TS models, the "life line" grab bars went from circular round metal to flat powdercoated metal, the step plates went from black rubber to lexan material, the floors went from standard glass to the squigly stuff (name escapes me right now)...Then of course there was the whole layup re-scheduling in the late 90's when they started vacum bagging which lightened up the hulls. I'm sure theres more but that's what I can think of right now.

The T/S's went through their share of changes to up to the whole re-vamp of the 38 and the 39.

Last edited by thisistank; 03-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.