Just joined. >

Just joined.

Notices

Just joined.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveTwelve
We had a great time at the Cigarette Rendezvous.

I only saw one Cafe Racer (and I'm told it is on the market now), and it looks as good in person as in the photos. I spoke with Gene at Performance Boat Center about the Cafe Racer I'm considering and at first he was skeptical that it was under powered for such a heavy hull. After learning my priorities (reliable engines and smooth ride) and my current "no need for breakneck speed", he agreed a Cafe Racer w/ 496 EFIs might be a good choice. So I'm moving forward with my purchase.

Perhaps my next post will be me with my first Go Fast.

Have a safe and happy Fourth! We'll be on our lake: Nacimiento.

Doug

P.S. I'm unfamiliar with the term Flat Deck, please enlighten me.
Congrats on the purchase! i am hoping to have my Cafe back on the water @ loto next year.

Flack Deck is an older 38 model that, well, has a pretty flat deck.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 4,270 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Doug

It`s the model before the top gun, it had a flat deck lol
Old 07-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 2,970 Likes on 981 Posts

I only saw one Cafe Racer (and I'm told it is on the market now), and it looks as good in person as in the photos. I spoke with Gene at Performance Boat Center about the Cafe Racer I'm considering and at first he was skeptical that it was under powered for such a heavy hull. After learning my priorities (reliable engines and smooth ride) and my current "no need for breakneck speed", he agreed a Cafe Racer w/ 496 EFIs might be a good choice. So I'm moving forward with my purchase.

Perhaps my next post will be me with my first Go Fast.

Have a safe and happy Fourth! We'll be on our lake: Nacimiento.

Doug

Bro, that's awesome! I helped the current owner dock up at Coconuts on Friday and checked the boat out in person. It's NICE! Great update done on it a few years ago and it appeared to be still in great shape. She's gonna be a VERY nice boat for you guys. Hope it all comes together and we'll rock both Cafes on Naci end of this summer!
Old 08-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm now a Cigarette owner!

I drove from San Luis Obispo, CA to Spicewood, TX and drove back with a 1989 Cafe Racer w/ 496s and Bravo Ones. I won't be the fastest, but hopefully reliable. I've already identified many minor repairs that will keep me busy. I'm actually looking forward to fixing it up.

Quick question: How do I search the forums for answers to questions that I know someone must have asked/answered before? For example: I need to replace the trainer's winch; what should the rating be for a Cafe Racer (about 9000#)?

1989 Cafe Racer
The following 3 users liked this post by FiveTwelve:
ICDEDPPL (08-02-2020), rak rua (08-02-2020), TomZ (09-11-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 2,970 Likes on 981 Posts

Congrats!!! Thinking a bunch of us are gonna head over to Catalina for the night on oct 10th. You guys should trailer down and go.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Registered

Congrats!!
Axles are pretty far forward , how`s it tow? (tongue weight might be on the light side)
The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Winch Recommendation

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Congrats!!
Axles are pretty far forward , how`s it tow? (tongue weight might be on the light side)
Good observation. Tongue weight is quite low and the trailer has other issues. I'm taking it to my local trailer shop to get it serviced. The winch post can be moved forward about a foot. Do you think that will be enough or will the axles need adjusting?

WINCH RECOMMENDATION: I need to replace the winch. West Marine's website suggests the winch be rated at 3/4 the weight of the boat, so about 7500#. I'd like recommendations for a manual 7500# winch (Mfg in USA preferred). Thanks.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Registered

7500# winch !? that seems over kill.
I use this 2000# unit, have for years, never let me down. my boat is heavy.
https://www.fultonperformance.com/pr...Y1PpPaWrsBWHg=
They also make a 2 stage model .

you`ll have to see if a foot gives you more tongue weight , low tongue weight will make it wag the dog all over the road .
Looks like you might be able to lower the winch post letting you move the boat even further forward and then move those boards up in the back .
Get a cheap bathroom scale and this is a good method of figuring out tongue weight ,
Old 08-30-2020, 05:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Exhaust manifold fitting broke off.

I removed, painted, and replaced the wheels and winch post and updated the winch. Everything was going well until I started up the starboard engine for the first time since I brought the boat back from Texas. Water spewed into the hull from a fitting hanging near the exhaust manifold. It appears that this fitting sheared off the manifold; very few threads remain on the manifold. Any advice on how to fix this is appreciated.

Port side of starboard engine exhaust manifold

Brass fitting that broke off.

View of good fitting on port side of port engine.

Last edited by FiveTwelve; 08-30-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 415 Likes on 244 Posts

That's an aluminum fitting. Are there enough threads to screw on a new firing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.