Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Just joined. >

Just joined.

Notices

Just joined.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

You can find one. I'd go for good mechanical upkeep first and foremost. Tame power, stock setup, etc. this will keep you boating longer. Do not buy a headcase or project boat unless you're willing to put a couple hundred hours wrenching and $$$ into it. Actually, just stay away from anything that needs over 40 hours of work to get it running, it may potentially keep you off the water for a couple years while you "fix" it (mostly gathering the high end parts you need)

Also, if your purchase price budget is $40K - make sure you have $20K set aside in the event something breaks right off the bat or within the first year. Also, try to buy a boat that someone has been running. I would stay away from anything that hasn't been on the water in over 8-12 months! That's when the gremlins sneak up on you (unknown issues) or it was put away with an "issue" to be "fixed later"

TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU TO LOOK AT ANY POTENTIAL PURCHASE WHO KNOWS THOSE BOATS. BE PATIENT, DO NOT MAKE AN IMPULSE BUY WITH THESE TOYS, IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU.

Tank is down south of you near Oxnard, and my wife and I have a house in Santa Barbara (but I spend 98% of my time in Ohio), so two Cig brothers that can help you look at stuff. I'll keep an eye out in my travels, and out in CA. I'm sure the hot market out by you would be Lake Havasu or Texas?

Welcome, good luck shopping. what's your time frame to buy? Is it more important that you get on the water sooner, or are you waiting for the right deal? If you could bump that budget up to $60K your options open up ALOT. Don't be shy to spend a little more up front - it will save you 3 to 5X $ in the long run.

Again - Tank may have some inside info on a few boats, he also just bought one last year, so there may be a few near the west coast that he passed on. A 35 Cafe may be a little more in your price range than a Gun. Or a 35 Mistress or a 38 "Flat Deck" model (very similar to a Top Gun, just older)

Maybe post on this thread what you've found and we could help point out a few things and help educate on a potential purchase.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Maybe post on this thread what you've found and we could help point out a few things and help educate on a potential purchase.
Definitely post here on any boat you are looking at. These guys know every boat and every owner and noone ever "buys one out from under" another member so you'll get advice without feeling like you are risking exposing a deal......
Old 04-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Definitely post here on any boat you are looking at. These guys know every boat and every owner and noone ever "buys one out from under" another member so you'll get advice without feeling like you are risking exposing a deal......
Here is one I'm looking at: kelownayachtsales.com/boat_listing.php?id=1390

Carbureted 502s w/ TRS drives. Problem is, it's in Canada and the boarder is closed.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

you will likely have better luck finding a cafe racer in your budget. No offense to any owners, but they seem to be less desirable than top guns. a nice clean top gun will fetch more than your budget permits. If your stuck on a cig, try to find an older clean cafe racer that has been maintained...

if you do find a boat, I would encourage to post on here. This crew knows every boat built by cig...good luck in your search.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to the Cigarette brand and camaraderie. I'd gladly take an older Cigarette over a newer mass produced boat. My lake, Nacimiento, has very few High Performance boats and some of my friends have told me the lake is too small for a 38' Go Fast. Currently I'm not interested in a 70+ MPH boat (but I may catch the speed bug once I own a HiPer). I just see myself hanging out on a pretty, albeit old and slow, racer.
If it’s only for a little a lake, the red and white bullet looks great for your budget.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
If it’s only for a little a lake, the red and white bullet looks great for your budget.
Took a while for someone to say "Bullet".

Personally, I would go with Endeavour 32 and buy something else, a bit newer but, if you're really stuck on a Cigarette (no denying their appeal) then get one.

I've always loved the look of a Bullet, bit easier to manage and wil,probably run better with modest power. Might also be better suited to your size lake.

RR
Old 04-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
you will likely have better luck finding a cafe racer in your budget. No offense to any owners, but they seem to be less desirable than top guns. a nice clean top gun will fetch more than your budget permits. If your stuck on a cig, try to find an older clean cafe racer that has been maintained...

if you do find a boat, I would encourage to post on here. This crew knows every boat built by cig...good luck in your search.
I like the Cafe Racer's lines, at least in pictures. I've never seen one up close. I made an offer on "In Heat" (Seminole, FL) before the pandemic, but with travel restricted and after reviewing the Survey, I backed out. What is the difference between the Cafe Racer and Top Gun? Just length, or are they designed for different purposes?
Old 04-12-2020, 06:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

2.5 feet, raked windshield vs. the straight across windshield. The TG's definitely sit a little higher in the bow than the Cafe. Cafe has the recessed deck, TG is straight across. I believe most TG's are notched transoms whereas only a handful of Cafes were. TG's are the highest volume CIG, so the resale seems to be better - any boat you buy at that price range will be at the end of their depreciation curve so from a resale standpoint you won't lose more on the Cafe it just might take a touch longer to move..... I don't think you will see much difference in ride quality, but I have never ridden in a gun so I am just going by what others on here have said.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is one I'm looking at: kelownayachtsales.com/boat_listing.php?id=1390

Carbureted 502s w/ TRS drives. Problem is, it's in Canada and the boarder is closed.
interesting your looking at that one. I tried getting some info on that bought. Emailed called and never heard from them. Thought it had potential but never heard back from anyone there. So I moved on.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I like the Cafe Racer's lines, at least in pictures. I've never seen one up close. I made an offer on "In Heat" (Seminole, FL) before the pandemic, but with travel restricted and after reviewing the Survey, I backed out. What is the difference between the Cafe Racer and Top Gun? Just length, or are they designed for different purposes?
if this is the boat I’m thinking of I would stay away from it and the seller but again I could be mistaken this for another boat.

have you thought of any other brands or you stuck on a cig. Trust me I have a formula that I sunk a bunch a money into to do it how I want it and it’s still nothing special. For all the money that’s spent on something I thought would be cheaper I couldn’t gotten the cig I originally wanted but said no that’s to much for me to spend. Turns out I would’ve saved money buying that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.