Just joined. >

Just joined.

Notices

Just joined.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No. It is Charissa, Me, and Shanay. OH, yes, that is in Las Tablas. July 4, 2018.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke eater
interesting your looking at that one. I tried getting some info on that bought. Emailed called and never heard from them. Thought it had potential but never heard back from anyone there. So I moved on.
It's priced within my budget. Actually well below my budget, but it has problems. The Survey showed up "osmosis above the chine" and, the transom "...has slight inception of osmosis". Other problems are acceptable like horn and navigational lights are inoperative (I'm and EE and can fix electrical stuff). It also has a floor crack that runs the "...full length of the cabin".

My google research on "osmosis" had me worried. It osmosis a deal breaker or is it common on 30 year old hulls? And, there is that floor crack. Plus, like I said, It's in Canada.

The dealer is nice, and I've talked with the current owner and it sounds like he's taken care of the boat during his ownership. I'm not real keen on the graphics, but that is easily changed with a wrap or new decals.

So, is this to be my first entry into the Cigarette club?

Last edited by FiveTwelve; 04-17-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added note about floor crack in cabin.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
It's priced within my budget. Actually well below my budget, but it has problems. The Survey showed up "osmosis above the chine" and, the transom "...has slight inception of osmosis". Other problems are acceptable like horn and navigational lights are inoperative (I'm and EE and can fix electrical stuff). It also has a floor crack that runs the "...full length of the cabin".

My google research on "osmosis" had me worried. It osmosis a deal breaker or is it common on 30 year old hulls? And, there is that floor crack. Plus, like I said, It's in Canada.

The dealer is nice, and I've talked with the current owner and it sounds like he's taken care of the boat during his ownership. I'm not real keen on the graphics, but that is easily changed with a wrap or new decals.

So, is this to be my first entry into the Cigarette club?
did you ask if the boat has sat in water for long periods of time...doing a quick google search, looks like osmosis is defined as the penetration of water under the gel coat that develops blisters. Are blisters present?

the crack in the floor would need to be investigated more. Is it cracked because something was dropped on it. Or is it cracked because the hull is twisting from faulty stringers.

what year is it? Power? Drives? Last time it’s been gone thru?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Osmosis is usually associated with boats that are stored in the water. Even with antifoul, osmosis can occur. I think you can get very small blisters, which are like dry bubbles but true osmosis is when the water gets into the outer layer. Osmosis "above the chine", meaning on the sides of the boat? That would be unusual. More common on the bottom.

If you pop open a blister and it's dry, I'd say not a huge deal. If clean water comes out, it needs attention. If water comes out and it stinks, that's full blown osmosis and needs a lot of work drying and refinishing.

I'm sure some glass guy will jump in and give you a more professional opinion.

RR
Old 04-17-2020, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

It depends on if you really want a project, or if you want to go boating. It's not what you can see...but what you can't see. Where there is osmosis I would bet you will find all sorts of other concerns that you can't see, get a survey from a separate 3rd party, not one the dealer or owner knows, JMO from experience. I have bought boats before that are like the old Glamour Shots..."A little powder and a little paint will make you what you really ain't" that have almost caused a divorce. Just be careful, there are a ton of really nice rides out there, take your time and nose around. Many of the good ones aren't listed and are going to be word of mouth. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2020, 08:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

look at a couple of the other threads here on guns that age, the stringers wound up being like sponges and they are pricey to fix, if this is way under your budget honestly imo it would be better to get something a little newer and in better condition 25k more in asking price could save you 40k+ down the road with repairs and lost time boating.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 2,956 Likes on 981 Posts

Surprised no ones talked about this Gun on here. Interesting to say the least. Price seems under market for whats there. Don't know if it's still available but this would be on my very short list if I were you.

https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/64215

Frankly, if you're going to just boat on Naci I'd be looking hard at this Bullet. Redo the gauges and a little TLC and you'd have a perfect boat for Naci. -

https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/63197

This Cafe's been for sale for a while. Throw out an offer. Looks like a decent runner.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1989...er-35-6921091/

This might be worth a look too. Needs work but good base.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...p-gun-3659385/
Old 04-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Damn Tank - that TG looks like a great deal. It's modernized with a motor issue. I think that would be my choice and I'd just commit to sorting out the motor issue.........
Old 04-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

The gun sold a month-6-weeks ago. Wife had her eye on it about 4 years ago or so when it was for sale at LOTO.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 2,956 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Damn Tank - that TG looks like a great deal. It's modernized with a motor issue. I think that would be my choice and I'd just commit to sorting out the motor issue.........
Are you talking about the gun I posted that Hoss said was sold? It was a great deal. But gone now I guess.

I wouldn't touch that boat in Canada. Uh-uh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.