Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Cigarette 35 Raceboats >

Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Notices

Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have Mike PM me and I'll send him Dunsmore's phone number if he needs it. The boat still looks good (that photo is from 2006) and last I heard they still owned it.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Here the three versions.
-1972,the red Innerspace at Viareggio. With Gentry aboard was Davey Wilson.
-1973,Italian race; the American Eagle duelling with Dry Martini.
-1975 the second American Eagle in Aussie version.
Marco: Thanks for clarification, you always amaze me with your knowledge of historical significance. Keep up the good work. I guess I am amazed at how many 36`s T.G. actually had. I did not know that the red Innerspace was Mondadori`s boat, but now it makes sence. So the way I count T.G. had 3-36`s The red, Light blue, and the striped one. Is that the way you count 36`s only??????????????? I am also wondering about my quotes re: the 36` Bertram that I believe is a Memco from Kiek. Why I question this is that I see the Needlenose boat which apears to be the same boat as 666 Aeromarine. I don`t believe that Bertram ever built a 36` on the same lines as the 32` old styles. I guess my question to all is the Needlenose Bertram the same as 666 Aeromarine and is it a Memco and not a true Bertram????????? 7XCHAMP
Marco keep up the incredible historical work, it`s a pleasure .
Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Marco: Thanks for clarification, you always amaze me with your knowledge of historical significance. Keep up the good work. I guess I am amazed at how many 36`s T.G. actually had. I did not know that the red Innerspace was Mondadori`s boat, but now it makes sence. So the way I count T.G. had 3-36`s The red, Light blue, and the striped one. Is that the way you count 36`s only??????????????? I am also wondering about my quotes re: the 36` Bertram that I believe is a Memco from Kiek. Why I question this is that I see the Needlenose boat which apears to be the same boat as 666 Aeromarine. I don`t believe that Bertram ever built a 36` on the same lines as the 32` old styles. I guess my question to all is the Needlenose Bertram the same as 666 Aeromarine and is it a Memco and not a true Bertram????????? 7XCHAMP
Richie - I bought the # 6 - Bertram from Bertram via: Sammy James - hull and deck only for 1,500 bucks back in 1973 or 74 - it had a 1/8 inch thick plywood deck - you could not walk on it - it was a Test boat - they moved the running streaks around to test position etc. - I could never get the last 8 feet of the strakes to stay on the boat - many times had to re-fiberglass them on - tried everything - too - sold the boat to a guy in South Jersey, to become a fishing boat - I had a Teak deck put on it - full in the back - and planks up foward - so it could be walked on. From my limited memory - it was a Memco - 36 footer -

attached two photos - when Sammy James raced it and later after the deck was put on - and I raced it in sports class.

PHIL

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-6-test-boat-bertram-before-i-bought-.jpg   Cigarette 35 Raceboats-phil-front-right-peter-front-left-winning-1974-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
Richie - I bought the # 6 - Bertram from Bertram via: Sammy James - hull and deck only for 1,500 bucks back in 1973 or 74 - it had a 1/8 inch thick plywood deck - you could not walk on it - it was a Test boat - they moved the running streaks around to test position etc. - I could never get the last 8 feet of the strakes to stay on the boat - many times had to re-fiberglass them on - tried everything - too - sold the boat to a guy in South Jersey, to become a fishing boat - I had a Teak deck put on it - full in the back - and planks up foward - so it could be walked on. From my limited memory - it was a Memco - 36 footer -

attached two photos - when Sammy James raced it and later after the deck was put on - and I raced it in sports class.

PHIL

[email protected]
Hi Phil: Now that I see the deck it confirms it was not the 666 Aeromarine boat, I am still sure the the 666 boat was the Memco that sat in the barn so many years, good to hear from you. Richie
Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This is what I get this far. I have not taken in consideration that Mr Gentry hade two Cigarette 35 American Eagles. In that case which ones did he have except Hull nr#3? Was one built originally as the Amercan Eagle? Marco, do you have any info about the Banshee? Charlie, I have no info about the Panama Jack either only the Spirit of Panama and Panama Hawk.

Hull # 1 American Viking became Powerboat Magazine Special - Today?

Hull # 2 Dry Martini - Today owned by Kurt Berger and restored

Hull # 3 Conspiracy became Mighty Mouse later American Eagle later Anheuser Busch Natural Light later Michelob Light then later Panama Hawk now ”Catalina ski race boat” – Today owned by Dunsmoore Custom Marine

Hull # 6 Spirit became Benihana - Today owned by Charlie McCarthy and is being restored

Hull # 7 Spirit of Panama became Daddy Cool - today all white and owned by John Bochis

Hull # ? Jumpin' Jack became Limit Up later Peter Stuyvesant - Today?
Hull # ? Bounty Hunter II became Satisfaction later Lil' Satisfaction - Today?
Hull # ? Impossible Dream
Hull # ? Isis
Hull # ? Eraf
Hull # ? Fast Company
Hull # ? White Heat
Hull # ? Wild Turkey
Hull # ? Bittersweet became Burn Baby Burn

Last edited by steeb; 12-13-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Did Bittersweet really become Burn Baby Burn? or is this just speculation?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steeb
This is what I get this far. I have not taken in consideration that Mr Gentry hade two Cigarette 35 American Eagles. In that case which ones did he have except Hull nr#3? Was one built originally as the Amercan Eagle? Marco, do you have any info about the Banshee? Charlie, I have no info about the Panama Jack either only the Spirit of Panama and Panama Hawk.

Hull # 1 American Viking became Powerboat Magazine Special - Today?

Hull # 2 Dry Martini - Today owned by Kurt Berger and restored

Hull # 3 Conspiracy became Mighty Mouse later American Eagle later Anheuser Busch Natural Light later Michelob Light then later Panama Hawk now ”Catalina ski race boat” – Today owned by Dunsmoore Custom Marine

Hull # 6 Spirit became Benihana - Today owned by Charlie McCarthy and is being restored

Hull # 7 Spirit of Panama became Daddy Cool - today all white and owned by John Bochis

Hull # ? Jumpin' Jack became Limit Up later Peter Stuyvesant - Today?
Hull # ? Bounty Hunter II became Satisfaction later Lil' Satisfaction - Today?
Hull # ? Impossible Dream
Hull # ? Isis
Hull # ? Eraf
Hull # ? Fast Company
Hull # ? White Heat
Hull # ? Wild Turkey
Hull # ? Bittersweet became Burn Baby Burn
Steeb,you are making some confusion with the hull #3;
it was originally American Eagle of Tom Gentry and Richie Powers in the 1976.Then the boat was sold to Bernie Little,boss of the beer brand Anheuser Bush and it made race Joe Ippolito in 1977.
Then The boat was purchased by Barcenas that rename it Panama Hawk.
Tom Gentry then purchased in 1978 a second 35' from Weichselbaum his Mighty Mouse ex Conspiracy and as Richie Powers tells us, sent the boat in Australia to race in that championship as American Eagle.

About the Banshee I know little. Runs without success in 1977 and 1978 the championship USA with a certain W.Cole.
I am a great deal some that then that boat become the Daddy Cool.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 12-13-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Many thanks Richie, it is a honor for me to receive the compliments from a legend of the Offshore.
This Sport. is integral part of my life from the 1972.
That Aeromarine II it seems it was built by Memco for Bertram that in that years it was frantically trying to find a worthy competitor to the monsters 36' of Aronow and to find a worthy substitute to the now obsolete Bertram 31'
But I believe that Phil can tell more us on that years in Bertram and the protypes hulls.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by senzaspectre
YES.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by senzaspectre
Bittersweet and Burn Baby Burn had in common the same details that countersigned them from the others 35.'
And the same owner, Frank Szykula.

Quick Reply: Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.