Notices

GLOPRA Pictures

Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
That's not the half of it. On top of the GLSCS we had GLOPRA to run as well and put on races. The Michigan clubs did the same. I was working regular job, racing, and trustee of GLOPRa along with President of GLSCS. A race weekend cost me close to 3K before it was all said and done. Times 8 to 10 races you can figure out why it all ended. There were people like Bob and Theresa Eubanks who contributed semis and trailers for support vehicles which would have cost another 50k per year. All that and we were lucky to get a thanks at the end of the weekend.

If and when I get back into racing it will be as a racer only.

We had a blast all in all. I bet we could sit in room for a week and not tell the same story twice. Some that even shouldn't be retold. Good times....

A.B.
Andy, I hope the greedy race for money days did not wreck your good old race for trophy memories. In all sports prize money changes the competitor. Man, Just like age F's up my spelling!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by legend
Andy, I hope the greedy race for money days did not wreck your good old race for trophy memories. In all sports prize money changes the competitor. Man, Just like age F's up my spelling!
It's not just the money that is needed for prize money it's cost of insurance, site fees, & RED TAPE. Back around 2004 I was the Vp of LSCORA a Silver Cup club with GLOPRA. We meet with the local Coast Guard many times to see if we could put on a Detroit Rive race that would run in front of the GM Ren Cen building. After we doted are I's & crossed all our tee's we were given the Green light to meet with our sponsor[General Motors] @ Coast Guard Detroit. We all sat down along with a Detroit rep from the Mayor's office. The Mayor wanted 100k for the police dept overtime & for what else they felt to cover the race. No one left the table yet, but when the Coast Guard guy who wrote the permits [a volunteer] told the GM reps BLOOD WILL BE ON YOU HANDS if you sponsor this race. Why,, I think he was a blow boater? The GM people RAN FOR THE DOOR, I don't think many will forget that day. We put on a few more race's but with out $$$$. In the way back it was fun to race for beer & a trophy sadly you just can't race like that anymore.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
You could race 25 or 30 APBA & club races around the country if you chose to. We ran all the APBA & most of the club races for years.
The fastest boats didn't always win.
You had to finish over a hundred miles in the ocean & navigation was key. No such thing as GPS.
Steve,

Those were the fun days of racing, you had to do your home work back then and chart a course out in the ocean

Jim
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

He never raced the Pantera. I worked for him when I was in high school. He had just sold the Panera and had a 36' Wide Body Cigarette "Heartbeat" that I helped work on. The Pantera is now in Mentor called Black Velvet.

Originally Posted by bobo1
Awesome pics!! Cig3?....... Zeiger had the Cobra Mariah. Did he also own the Pantera Mariah? And did he ever race it? I remember the Pantera when it was new in a boathouse in the Clifton Lagoons. I thought the original owner was Howard Ferguson.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a few more. Miss Cigarette is Eastlake with Tim and I. 1989 Rascal from Lorain and Trash can from Cleveland. Also an old newpaper clipping from 1980. Rascal, Cleveland Prop, Thunder Buzzard.
Attached Thumbnails GLOPRA Pictures-image01152013074654.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-image01152013074707.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-image01152013074721.jpg  

GLOPRA Pictures-image01152013074736.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-image01152013074753.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
It's not just the money that is needed for prize money it's cost of insurance, site fees, & RED TAPE. Back around 2004 I was the Vp of LSCORA a Silver Cup club with GLOPRA. We meet with the local Coast Guard many times to see if we could put on a Detroit Rive race that would run in front of the GM Ren Cen building. After we doted are I's & crossed all our tee's we were given the Green light to meet with our sponsor[General Motors] @ Coast Guard Detroit. We all sat down along with a Detroit rep from the Mayor's office. The Mayor wanted 100k for the police dept overtime & for what else they felt to cover the race. No one left the table yet, but when the Coast Guard guy who wrote the permits [a volunteer] told the GM reps BLOOD WILL BE ON YOU HANDS if you sponsor this race. Why,, I think he was a blow boater? The GM people RAN FOR THE DOOR, I don't think many will forget that day. We put on a few more race's but with out $$$$. In the way back it was fun to race for beer & a trophy sadly you just can't race like that anymore.
Oh Great One,

Tell us about the "Climax" Magnum. I'd also like to see pics of Prissy Pants Dave from back in the day. Was his hair still perfect even after taking of the helmet?

Jeff
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Registered

Couple more.
Attached Thumbnails GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-091.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-092.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-098.jpg  

GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-099.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-103.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-106.jpg  

GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-108.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-100.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-105.jpg  

GLOPRA Pictures-lake-erie-race-boats-107.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Steve,

Those were the fun days of racing, you had to do your home work back then and chart a course out in the ocean

Jim
When it rained and the fog rolled in you really had to know your Sh.t.

In the Point Pleasant N.J. races in July hitting the BA buoy from the Seaside Pier was a chore in the good weather.

One year all but 1 of the open class boats I think wound up in the Hudson River because of their navagator & the weather.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
When it rained and the fog rolled in you really had to know your Sh.t.

In the Point Pleasant N.J. races in July hitting the BA buoy from the Seaside Pier was a chore in the good weather.

One year all but 1 of the open class boats I think wound up in the Hudson River because of their navagator & the weather.
I use to love watching the other boats follow that one boat into the distance two miles wide in the turn and look at my compass and know that I did my home work.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It is kind of Cool seeing those small outboard boats Racing they look like just average Joe's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.