Notices

Speed Kills

Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Speed Kills

Has anyone seen the trailer for "Speed Kills" John Travolta plays Don Aronow even though they call him Ben Arownof Looks decent enough brings back the history of Thunder boat row & The Blue Thunder 39 Cat ( Of which mine was sold for private use)
should be a good movie for us old school guys....i would be interested in what Brownie has to say about it
Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just seen it but is not in theaters near me yet
Old 08-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When does it get released?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts

November 18th is the latest word on the theater release. It's been out on Virtual Reality 360 for download since May. Haven't watched it, and out of respect for late Don Aronow I won't watch the film either. Seen the trailers and read reviews about the film and though the film claims to only be inspired by the life story of Don Aronow, it is i.m.h.o. not good enough of an excuse to create a film that basically don't show him in a more positive light than this. The 'Speed Kills' book left a bad taste in my mouth and therefore I will not watch the film. Nobody is a saint, and I have a feeling that Don Aronow was a little bit to tough in business for some to deal with, and to create a character, inspired by Don Aronow's amazing life, look like a morally weak and questionable guy doesn't fly with me. Spend Your money on Allan 'Brownie' Brown's book "Tales From Thunderboat Row" and get to re-live the era with a smile on Your face.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth
November 18th is the latest word on the theater release. It's been out on Virtual Reality 360 for download since May. Haven't watched it, and out of respect for late Don Aronow I won't watch the film either. Seen the trailers and read reviews about the film and though the film claims to only be inspired by the life story of Don Aronow, it is i.m.h.o. not good enough of an excuse to create a film that basically don't show him in a more positive light than this. The 'Speed Kills' book left a bad taste in my mouth and therefore I will not watch the film. Nobody is a saint, and I have a feeling that Don Aronow was a little bit to tough in business for some to deal with, and to create a character, inspired by Don Aronow's amazing life, look like a morally weak and questionable guy doesn't fly with me. Spend Your money on Allan 'Brownie' Brown's book "Tales From Thunderboat Row" and get to re-live the era with a smile on Your face.
was he a close friend of yours?
Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM
Registered

No, I did not know Don Aronow personally. Have spoken to his son Michael a couple of times and found him a very humble, kind person. Now what played a larger part on my opinion is that I spent quite a bit of time over the years speaking to Don's best buddy, journalist and author John O. Crouse, and he told me about Don as a human being. Additional input has been from Swedish friends in common that spent quite a bit of time with Don during the 60's and early 70's on the racing circuit. Everybody has labeled Don Aronow a gentleman and wonderful person to be around, and I'm truly sad that He didn't get to enjoy a longer life.

Last edited by larslindroth; 08-28-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Registered

Old 08-31-2018, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Call me crazy.. But did Don not have a habit of sleeping with other dude's wives? Setting up people to fail in business dealings? I love the legend man.. One of the coolest guys ever. Clearly had a certain thing to him. I am not saying he deserved his fate, but people don't like being on the sh!t end of those things. Especially those on the fringes.

I'll watch the movie with a grain of salt. But hey.. Not everyone sees the world the same way I do.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:29 AM
Registered

I got the popcorn ready for when the movie comes out😂😂😂
Old 08-31-2018, 10:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I can already see the reviews.........

Travolta did an adequate job of playing a younger man who was a driving force in the American powerboat industry. Ben Aronof (Travolta) was portrayed as a hard nosed, womanizing businessman who loved the attention that came with success in an industry mixed with celebrity fame and the seedy side of drugs and crime. His brash arrogance, financial success, a string of affairs and associations with the 'Demi-Monde' made him a target of many which ultimately lead to his demise.

For a fan of powerboats, there's a couple of good on water scenes, but not enough to make a movie. If you're looking for a biography, the name of the lead character helps to distance the film from the truth which enables the directors to use cinematic licence and concentrate on entertainment value for the box office. Unfortunately, it falls short on entertainment value, having a couple of mixed plots that don't really come together.

Despite a decent supporting cast, Travolta fails to deliver in this crime/action flick. Don't expect too much, 6 out of 10.

RR reviews.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.