Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Auto Engine vs Marine - Differences? >

Auto Engine vs Marine - Differences?

Notices

Auto Engine vs Marine - Differences?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Engine vs Marine - Differences?

Search feature is not working for me now. If there is a thread please just link it here. Thanks in advance.

Ok, so my buddy bought a 241 Liberator with the dreaded Ford 460 & OMC King Cobra Drive. First weekend out and he thinks the block is cracked. What is the most economical fix here? He found an 460 that came out of a truck and wants to rebuild it and drop it in, but from what I have seen other places every one says it will cost more & be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. Is that the conscientious here too? If he did build the auto engine, what would he need to change - freeze plugs, head gasket, what else?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered

Try these.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...02+crate+motor

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...02+crate+motor
Old 06-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

The blocks are the same - *IF* everything else in the block is in good shape and the block that he's acquiring from the donor is in good shape - the most economical would be to strip the truck block down, have it tanked (cleaned), lightly hone the bores, new cam bearings installed, new brass freeze plugs installed, paint it with a good high temp paint, and then install all the marine parts into and on the block using new rod and main bearings and a new oil pump just for 'peace of mind'.

Make sure it's not the heads that are cracked though... If they are the truck heads can be used - they'll have to be cleaned, checked, exhaust valves replaced, and a marine valve jobe done on them (typically cut a wider seat to help soak the heat off the valve face) and the springs replaced to match the marine cam....

Of course he's going in that far - I'd be upgrading the cam to something a little healthier...
Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered

If you are a good mechanic and now a great machine shop you can build a real bad ass motor 550-600hp for about 6k. full roller,balanced,9.5x1 so you can run pump gas. Or you can find some pretty good deals on here for close to that.