Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Short cut to disable Silent Choice >

Short cut to disable Silent Choice

Notices

Short cut to disable Silent Choice

Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a problem with mine and it was the pressure relief valve on the air pump itself. Quick way to check for this is to install a cap in place of the valve temporarily, and then put it to the thru hull setting and see if it holds - BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO SEND TOO MUCH AIR PRESSURE TO THE ACTUATORS OR YOU CAN BLOW OUT THE SEALS IN THEM! Just enough air so you can see them open up, then see how long they stay open. My problem was corrected simply by cleaning out the relief valve with some compressed air - I guess some junk got caught in there, holding it open. You may also have a loose fitting somewhere, but do not tighten them too much. They are just brass compression fittings. The lines are nothing more than the same plastic lines that are used for refrigerator ice-maker water lines - you can buy replacement lines and fittings at any hardware store. Once set up and leak free, I have found it to be a pretty dependable system.