Notices

Oil Extraction System

Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Extraction System

Looking to buy an engine oil extraction system. Looking for any recommendations that would screw onto my threaded oil filler dip stick opening..
Thanks
Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever you get, make sure the discharge tube has a good secure connection to the pump and fitting. Why do I mention this? Mine has a rubber deal and a hose that slips over it. Well, after a while I guess it lost it's grip and as I was happily pumping out dirty oil the hose blew off and sprayed oil all over my cockpit until I could shut the pump off. Not a good deal.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

The best thing you can do for your engine and simplicity going forward, is borrow one from a local marina or friend. Use it one time to get as much as the oil out as they get. (They often leave 1/2-1 full quart in the pan.)

Once you evacuate all of the oil, remove the drain plug and allow what's left in the pan to drain out into a few oil absorption mats. Then install an oil pan drain hose kit. Mercury sells them, and a few other parts houses do as well. It's been discussed on here quite a few times.

This is the BEST way to change your oil, (draining it from the bottom of the pan) as it gets ALL of the oil out. This is why Mercury is installing this kit on almost all engines now. It's a lot easier to change your oil with the drain pan hose kit. You just extend it out the bilge drain hole in to a can/bucket/whatever, and walk away. You don't have to drag anything dirty/oily into/out of the boat.

I've used both of these oil change pumps with satisfactory results:

http://www.shopepal.com/p-6276-jabsc...Np4aAlfY8P8HAQ

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...nger--14557417

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-15-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you take the oil drain plug out what you need to do is take a Prestone empty jug and cut a huge square in the side of the jug. Next place that under your oil pan laying down flat with the cut square opening facing up. Take your oil drain plug out and let the oil drain into the jug , while the jug is filling up, use your oil extractor to suck that oil out of the jug while it is draining. When your oil has completely drained form the pan suck the last drops up with you oil extractor or use the oil pick up sheets, then pull the jug out. No mess at all.

Also it is wise to buy an oil drain hose to replace the oil drain plug. You can use a connector to that oil drain hose from your oil extractor to drain the motor oil out. We do this on all wake board boats as the oil drain hose is not long enough to go thru the water drain plug hole in the transom. Again all oil or most gets drain from the oil pan and no mess.

If you want a pump that really can suck and fuels as well google the Slurper. many marine shops use this as well. I use to have one many years ago.

Also www.liquidynamics.com many shops use this as well.

Last edited by BUP; 07-16-2014 at 12:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oconnor marine (06-03-2020)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the OP is looking for an oil extractor which screws onto his dipstick tube, rather than one that inserts a smaller tube down the dipstick tube. I have a friend looking for one of these was well. Anybody know where to get one?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is what you need. Yeah, a bit pricey but they last forever. I've had mine for 25 yrs.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...97/4,6280.html
Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

You don't need to screw it onto the dipstick. It's a garden hose fitting BTW.
All you need is a hose that is the same ID as the dipstick tube top is OD. Slip it over and turn the pump on. The dipstick tube goes all the way to the bottom of the pan, but by design it's not going to extract/suck ALL of the oil out.
If you need to change hose diameter, 10 minutes in the plumbing isle at Lowes/Home Depot and you can have a couple barbs and new hose diameter up or down.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I just change my oil every 25 hours. If 1 qt is left over it's no big deal. I just can't get myself to trust a rubber hose hanging off the bottom of my pan. If it tears for whatever reason you can't stop the oil from flowing out.
The following users liked this post:
SB (05-29-2020)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

This is what i use. choose the tubing size you like. 1/4" O.D. goes down threw the dip stick, 3/8" I.D goes over the opening.

I go threw the dip stick tube. Hot or warm oil after a run is way quicker to pump
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

These are cheap and work great.
http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...47911684lg.jpg

Use a short "washing machine" hose to go from the pump to the dipstick. Screws right on.
And, if you can get to the pan drain location, you should put a drain hose kit on it long enough to be handy for you. I've NEVER heard of one failing and losing somebody's oil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.