Notices

Increased speed plan

Old 06-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe hull upgrading with nice pad kell?
Old 06-22-2020, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the 200 hp = 10 mph linear or exponential. 20 hp per mph?

When you say upgrading hull with nice keel pad, are you saying upgrading this hull with a “larger” keel pad, or upgrading to a hull with a larger keel pad? I suspect there are several factors that play into a fast hull. I just don’t have the design background to know what those are. I’m sure weight is an issue with any hull design, and I’m looking at any way to reduce that. Of course, that’s limited to “don’t touch the wife’s toilet or shower holding tank.”
Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’ve also read a little on CG (center of gravity) and loading your boat. One article said weight aft as much as possible, but others weren’t so definitive or clear. An aircrafts CG is identified at design, and can be determined by weighing. The CG is also based on known equipment distribution, and can be recalculated if equipment is moved, added, or removed. I would think, as in aircraft, that CG affects the boats attitude/AOA (angle of attack) and as such hull performance at any particular time. I’m not aware of any published CG for my boat, and don’t really know anything about the affect AOA has on speed, but I’m sure it does. Seems probable there is a sweet spot where the perfect angle of attack results in best speed. I’ve read some about prop shaft angle and trim tabs, and how both affect thrust, drag, and AOA, but it’s still murky to me. Add to that waves and wind, and I’ve got a lot to learn to get the maximum performance my boat is currently capable of. I’m feedback, especially on CG, is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 Outlaw Bad Influence
Is the 200 hp = 10 mph linear or exponential. 20 hp per mph?

When you say upgrading hull with nice keel pad, are you saying upgrading this hull with a “larger” keel pad, or upgrading to a hull with a larger keel pad? I suspect there are several factors that play into a fast hull. I just don’t have the design background to know what those are. I’m sure weight is an issue with any hull design, and I’m looking at any way to reduce that. Of course, that’s limited to “don’t touch the wife’s toilet or shower holding tank.”
The hull design of the outlaw is not an efficient hull design is what they are telling you. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just how it was built. Other hulls are more efficient and allow for more speed with the same power, these hulls have steps, pad, and notch. You would be money ahead if you leave your current boat stock and buy a different boat if you want to go faster.

Last edited by BIGSLOW; 06-22-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

https://mbgforum.com/topic/7573-hull-pad/

https://www.screamandfly.com/content...ee-Hull-Faster

Last edited by plavutka; 06-22-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

The Outlaw is a great all around performance boat and much friendlier for family outings than some of the faster hulls. It can be done but not really by incremental improvements as the factory got it pretty right to begin with.

I have a 272 with a nearly identical hull and have gone down this road. Smitty got his 272 almost over 100mph but I think it took 1200hp or so. Speed can be had, but this is what you’re achieving.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

I just went through a similar dilemma but I have a 28 Nordic Heat. The 496HO is a great engine stock, but when you modify it you better do it right or it won't hold together. There's not much you can do with it as far as "one step at a time" mods to build on. It's pretty much all or nothing. So, I decided to go all in and rebuild it with forged internals and a Whipple supercharger system. Doing everything myself I was still over $12k into it. Next step is beefing up the Bravo X drive, and that's another $$$ story.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,285 Likes on 474 Posts

[QUOTE=26 Outlaw Bad Influence;4744650]I would think, as in aircraft, that CG affects the boats attitude/AOA (angle of attack) and as such hull performance at any particular time. I’m not aware of any published CG for my boat, and don’t really know anything about the affect AOA has on speed

your right to a degree, but aircraft generally have a narrower “sweet spot” when it comes to cg’s and are less forgiving speed wise and control wise if you violate the published cg.
i think with a boat it’s about minimizing the wetted surface and still be “flying” level.
so you need a hull that wants to lift and enough power to lift it. as stated by others, your easiest gain in speed is picking a hull designed for speed.

Last edited by hoodoo; 06-29-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Artic is right. The rule of thumb on Baja is about 20 HP per MPH, that is pretty accurate and would probably go to 25 or more after 85 MPH. (Somebody throw in their 2 cents here)
Another thing nobody touched on yet is the drive. Being a single-engine Baja you are inevitably going to have drive issues so tack on another $15K for an SCX. There was a dude on here that had a beautiful Baja 26, I believe he was running a 700SCi with an SCX, great thread for you to lookup. The SCX had a whole other list of issues on a Baja 26 too that might be useful in your decision.

So, yeah just buy a new boat. LOL
Old 06-29-2020, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I’m sure that you’ve found this thread by now. It seems to be the closest to the road you’re embarking on.

25 Outlaw Whipple Merc 525 EFI
Keith Atlanta (06-30-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.