454 wont idle below 1500 RPMs >

454 wont idle below 1500 RPMs

Notices

454 wont idle below 1500 RPMs

Old 11-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanw10
Only numbers I can find are on the side of the metering block.
Holley puts the pn on the front of the air horn. Need to take air cleaner off to see it.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I cleaned and inspected the front float bowl, needle and seat assembly, and blew out all passages in the metering block. Re adjusted the float level dry, and then got it adjusted wet pretty close. No change to how it wants to idle. When it's cold I can get it to hold about 1000 rpms with a little throttle input (still stalls if I bring the throttle back to nuetral) and when it's hot it needs enough throttle input to start and run at 2000 rpms and will stall as soon as you start pulling back towards nuetral.

Im thinking my next step is to take the carb off and check transfer slot exposure. What else should I do while the carb is off?

It did cross my mind that it could possibly be something related to ignition though the way it wants to stall when warm. When it's running at 2000 rpms and I start to pull back towards nuetral, its stalls and theres no saving it. Almost like it cuts spark.

I did get a pretty good look this time down the throat of the carb while it was running. Gas is coming out more as a heavy dribble than a nice spray, and one side is definitely putting out more gas than the other.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,081 Likes on 1,364 Posts

where is the timing @ 2k............
Old 11-14-2020, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Your flooding
Gas is coming out more as a heavy dribble than a nice spray, and one side is definitely putting out more gas than the other.
The following users liked this post:
liberator221 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 10:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 629 Likes on 290 Posts

Have you done any of the many suggestions for checking for a vacuum leak yet? Start it up and get some carb cleaner in a spray can, then start spraying it at any and all possible leak points, in particular the entire intake manifold. When the idle speed changes, you've found a leak.
Your last post indicates there is still an issue that a carb rebuild will fix...once again, suggested many times in this thread.

Gas is coming out more as a heavy dribble than a nice spray, and one side is definitely putting out more gas than the other.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaman
Have you done any of the many suggestions for checking for a vacuum leak yet? Start it up and get some carb cleaner in a spray can, then start spraying it at any and all possible leak points, in particular the entire intake manifold. When the idle speed changes, you've found a leak.
Your last post indicates there is still an issue that a carb rebuild will fix...once again, suggested many times in this thread.

I'm not at all against a complete carb rebuild, just trying to make sure I have the easy things checked first, and do one thing at a time so i can pin point exactly what the problem was.

Edit: and yes, I have checked for a vacuum leak and I could not find any.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Your flooding
I would say plugs confirm this.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanw10
I did get a pretty good look this time down the throat of the carb while it was running. Gas is coming out more as a heavy dribble than a nice spray, and one side is definitely putting out more gas than the other.
When at idle, you should not see ANY fuel when looking down into the carb.
Seeing fuel dripping is usually a sign of fuel getting by the needle and seat assembly or the are not set correctly and the floats are too high.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
When at idle, you should not see ANY fuel when looking down into the carb.
Seeing fuel dripping is usually a sign of fuel getting by the needle and seat assembly or the are not set correctly and the floats are too high.
I'm pretty confident it's not a float issue. I have adjusted the float level up and down with no change in my issue, but I am open to other suggestions here.

I have yet to actually get this thing to idle so I am unsure how much fuel is getting pushed down the throat of the carb at that.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I think the carb is going to come apart, so...when you get a rebuild kit,based on the list number on the front left of the air horn, read through the literature that comes with it. It will give you a base setting for the primary and secondary throttle plate stop screws. Either one can give you a high idle. Also verify jet size is correct per list number. Blow out all passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. After everything is set per factory spec you have a good starting point for further diagnosis if needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.