Idiling the engine in a boat

Notices

Idiling the engine in a boat

Old 05-14-2022, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
That has nothing to do with idle.
He said it would idle but died when he put it in gear.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Ive done that buy just dropping the boat into the water still tied down to the trailer during the week when there is no traffic at the ramps to deal with.....
i've done the idiling like you told me...one of the engines is working perfektly i've done like you told me (idel mix screws)...but...the other engine is making me problems...when i try to idel it one of the mix screws is not responding...i can screw it in all the way and the engine is still working.The screw on the side where is the vacum pump for secundety trotle blade is working but the other screw does not respond...what the hell is happening..wally help
Old 05-16-2022, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

If your idle mixture screws aren't having any affect, you have other issues. I would pull the carb apart and give it a good cleaning. You probably have buildup in the carb blocking the fuel path.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThisIsLivin:
liberator221 (05-16-2022), Wally (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
If your idle mixture screws aren't having any affect, you have other issues. I would pull the carb apart and give it a good cleaning. You probably have buildup in the carb blocking the fuel path.
allso..this carb has lower vacum reading then the other one
Old 05-16-2022, 11:49 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Check and adjust timing first, then follow this quote if mine before taking carb apart again, if easier for you then removing/taking apart.

Originally Posted by SB
Grab a aerosol can of carb clean. Make sure you use red straw and blast both ways thru the top air bleeds 4 per side. 2 are idle and 2 are high speed. Some miss this for some reason. Watch your eyes, carb cleaner will squirt back at you. Remove idke mixture screws and spray thru that direction. Carb clean will come out bleed hole on top in carb choke tower right st your eyes. Watch out. Ive squirted my eyes hundreds of times and it hurts bad. Some water in them and just few minutes latet feel fine. I’d take out contacts if you have them.

Best way go set idle mixture screws are in the water, engine fully warned, and in gear. Typically best idle in neutral will need screws opened (counter clockwise) another 1/8-1/4 turn.

Last edited by SB; 05-16-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:59 AM
SB
Registered

If you have to pull carb, do it this way:

Originally Posted by SB
Grab a aerosol can of carb clean. Make sure you use red straw and blast both ways thru the top air bleeds 4 per side. 2 are idle and 2 are high speed. Some miss this for some reason. Watch your eyes, carb cleaner will squirt back at you. Compressed air after doing this is better. As after spraying thru (both ways) all holes in metering blocks and bodies.

Best way go set idle mixture screws are in the water, engine fully warned, and in gear. Typically best idle in neutral will need screws opened (counter clockwise) another 1/8-1/4 turn.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
If you have to pull carb, do it this way:
thanks a lot ill try it tomorow great adwice...let you know how it went
Old 05-22-2022, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Zole
allso..this carb has lower vacum reading then the other one

Bear in mind that once you have established optimal (or max) vacuum reading on a healthy engine there's other things that contribute to that reading besides the carb.
You can have a flawless carb setup but if your timing is off , for example , your readings will be lower.

I once had a Ford 351 with a full time vacuum gauge and if I started seeing the idle vacuum fall the first thing I would check would be the wear on the heel of the points mechanism.
Re-set points and back to full vacuum again .

And BTW , I had a friend visit Croatia before the pandemic and the photos blew me away. What an incredibly beautiful and history laden place. .
Old 05-23-2022, 06:10 AM
Registered

Hi guys im back...so this is what happend..i took the carb cleaner and blow the idle mix screws..started the engine no change...then i figured aut that one cilinder is not working...took the spark plug aut and change it...then things started getting better so i wanted to check aut other spark plugs...the head on the right side has long spark plugs and the head on the left side has short spark plugs..does that make a difrence..thanks..allso there was some back fire from the carb but stoped after a wile

Last edited by Zole; 05-23-2022 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:46 AM
SB
Registered

There are some shorter plugs than others. Most important thing is that they working correctly (not fouled or worn) and of the proper type for application. Post both part #’s please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.