Notices

What Drive?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Cost on those kits? Do the transmissions fit between the bravo gimble and the engines or do the engines need to be moved?
Rik can answer on costs but the engines come out, new transom assemblies have extension boxes that house the transmission, engine goes right back where it came from. I really wanted to do this conversion but couldn't swing the $$$. They actually market/sell the kit as a bravo conversion.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the bravo conversion arneson kit is going for low 20's a side
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
B-max = xr lower gears (junk) upper is strong but ugly, are they even making drives??? taking orders but actually shipping? Are there any parts in stock for warranty? I have not called in months to know but something to check. John is a super guy though.
!
I think i can answer some of this for you as i was up there last week. The lower gears he puts in are all cryo treated and seem to hold up alot better than mercs. Yes, he is taking orders and shipping them out. Yes, he does have plenty of stocked items. He is also selling NEO oil and the heat reduction and lubricity of the oil combined with what he has done with the drive/gears has drastically increased longevity. Dean ruined a great idea and John, IMO is doing great to build it back. I have dealt with them both and there is no comparision as Johns workmanship and dedication are unrivaled.

Now, on the anreson thing. Yea, the rooster tail is just plain bad-a$$ and they seem to be an awesome drive..
Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Cost is a major factor, but longevity also needs to be considered. A drive I would also consider would be the Dry Sump NXT, but it's only rated at 700 hp.

My plan is to buy the Drives before I detonate my XR's again. That way, I should, hopefully, be able to get some good pricing on the XR's.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've got quite a few of the 382 Formula's with the Arnesons and they all run beyond expectations, both in speed and handling.

Value is worth what you pay for things but I can guarantee the Arnesons will last for a long long time, and as we've seen well beyond the life of most of the motors out there so you will not have any worries.

Speed, handling and lifespan are all addressed in one package that we have in the #7M Kits.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

The NXT is cool, but too expensive, much more involved install, you have to FILL in the lower part of your bravo hole and cut the upper part larger, drill new holes, some even say you have to move the engine up 1 inch and forward 1 inch. Just a pain in the a** IMO. The NXT was never intended to be a bravo conversion as a after thought. It was intended to be a bravo replacement when rigging a boat new that was originally engineered for a bravo.

Arneson is your best choice.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to throw another log on the fire.... what about a Konrad 540?

As for the cost of things, I can help out there as I was looking to swap from a Penta DPX to a new drive.....

SCX/SC combo - $28K

Arneson - $23K
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by Tigeman
Just to throw another log on the fire.... what about a Konrad 540?

As for the cost of things, I can help out there as I was looking to swap from a Penta DPX to a new drive.....

SCX/SC combo - $28K

Arneson - $23K
Thats it! I'm raising my prices!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree the Arneson is the clear way to go, but once you add in props and some applications having to fill the transom step, it can become a little more expensive of an option. If the money is of no concern, I'd go with the Arnesons.

Regardless, doing some type of 'conversion' BEFORE the factory bravo goes south is the smart way to go... at least this way you can recoupe some your money by selling it while it still has some value.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by SS930
I agree the Arneson is the clear way to go, but once you add in props and some applications having to fill the transom step, it can become a little more expensive of an option. If the money is of no concern, I'd go with the Arnesons.

Regardless, doing some type of 'conversion' BEFORE the factory bravo goes south is the smart way to go... at least this way you can recoupe some your money by selling it while it still has some value.
99% of applications do not have any issues with a notch! Also you have to purchase propellers regardless of which out drive you use and we offer two different propeller hub choices, Bravo and Speedmaster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.