Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Imco SC won't go all the way in >

Imco SC won't go all the way in

Notices

Imco SC won't go all the way in

Old 05-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue when I changed uppers last season. The broken one came right off and the new one went on 1/4 of the way and that was it. I was all worried and busted out the alignment bar and things were ok. Not sure what the deal was. It took some persuasion to get it seated.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK,
Pulled off B1 again; came right off, checked engine alignment again and adjusted it very little. replaced O-rings on input shaft and greased them. Rechecked the alignment using grease and that also looks good. sanded bellow retainer
and clean it up. Shift cable is correct. Now i can get the drive on the treads but stops just before the treads come through the drive. So its better than last week but still can't get the drive all the way in. also turned the prop and tried cranking the engine. but still needs to go another inch. since Chicago summers are short the old B1 went back in. Will try again in the fall.

Thanks for everyones help

Sam
Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear you didnt get it figured out.. Go boating..
Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Did you try putting drive on with no orings on the shaft? When I first switched to the long snout hp coupler and a xr style input shaft I had a hard time getting drive on the boat, seems like I had to leave one of the orings off the shaft and later after it had worn a little I had it off and back on with all the orings, Smitty
Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered

I couldn't walk away from that one. That B!tch would go on no matter what. after awhile it becomes a quest .........
Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Yes,
I tried it without the O-rings, But as i was cleaning up i saw a new Bellows retaining ring in the XR Gimbal bearing Kit, which is about the distance i need to go. Is the a different in the new retainer? I guess there must be or it wouldn't be it the kit.

Mr Gadget the Imco is a new rebuild from a local Imco dealer
i picked up last Noverber ( Just the Upper) now its been sitting
in the shipping box for 7-8 mnths without oil. should i fill it up and store it upside down or should it be OK.

My old bravo 1 is a HP that was built by Teague and lasted 10
years, Last year it died and i had it build by a local racer, So i should be ok for one short season

Thanks again
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

61, if the upper is going to be in a dry place it should be ok. You don't want it in a place that cause condensation and have it sweat internally.. That would be asking for rust. Is there tape on the bottom holes to keep it from getting moist air inside?? It wouldnt hurt to tip it upside down and add a few ounces of lube and rotate it, tape up the holes and let it sit.. Should be good. Moisture would be the enemy.. so store it with that in mind..
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something nobody has mentioned is sometimes when a drive is removed the input shaft will catch the gimbal bearing and cause it to cock to one side. This could be the issue. Just a thought.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Registered

Dick,
I though it would be a good idea to put some lube in it.

I did make sure the U-joints were strait, I'm hoping its just the bellows retainer since it comes in the XR Gimbal bearing
upgrade kit. The retainer looks thinner than the old one, and the Imco U-joint coupler just fits in it. I wish i saw the retaining ring before i put the old drive back. If anyone knows for sure the retaining ring is different please let me know

Thanks Sam