Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
TRS spins in neutral??? >

TRS spins in neutral???

Notices

TRS spins in neutral???

Old 12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you absolutely sure about these being chrysler trannies? TRS's came with either a Borg-Warner or a Merc Trans ll. I can't see how they could ever couple them to a TRS unless their set forward more and use a custom made drive shaft running to the transom plate like in a staggered engine setup. Does the tail stock of the tranny mount directly into the transom plate? Is the trans and flywheel bellhousing all one piece or are they 2 seperate pieces.
Here is a Merc Trans ll, their all 1 piece:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-MERC...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

Here is a B-W, the bellhousing is seperate on them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-T...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

Note how the tail stocks are made to fit into the transon plate. Then the drive's input shaft goes directly into the transmission tailstock.
I just can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble to convert a chrysler trans to use when a B-W is plenty stronge.

Anyway reguardless of what trans it is it sounds as if the clutch plates in the forward clutch pack are warped causing them to drag when they are not compressed together in neutral as they do compress together when in forward.

I'd love to see some pics of this trans setup. If you like send me some. Jim [email protected]
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, my trannys dont go to the transom plate. They are set about 6 inches forward of the transom plate. I do have a drive shaft may be custom dont know.

Cant see ebay pics at work but here are the pics i have posted on another forum.

Ill get some better pics this weekend. I have one engine pulled and in the process of rebuilding.

Last edited by killfast1; 12-20-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Registered

Wow, now that is different. Someone did a lot of work to set that up. Looking forward to some more pics!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

These were built here in California by a guy named Art Carr. He has done many of them from my understanding.

Still first time I ever seen or heard of it also. They are very heavy but should be pretty indestructible. Torrqueflites are some very stout trannies.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Registered

OK, I've heard of Art Carr. He's been around a long time in the drag racing world.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered

Here are some more pics of the setup

and Here is what it is in.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Deffinately different. First TRS I've ever seen set up like that. Never would have believed it with out seeing the pics. Thanks for posting them! Nice ride!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Deffinately different. First TRS I've ever seen set up like that. Never would have believed it with out seeing the pics. Thanks for posting them! Nice ride!

Thanks.

trannies seem really good, just would like to have a real neutral.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim

Thanks.

trannies seem really good, just would like to have a real neutral.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered

You could probably take them to a shop that does hi-perf transmissions and tell them your exact problem and I would think they could correct them. I would think the clutch packs are set up too tight or the clutchs are warped causing them to drag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.