TRS spins in neutral??? >

TRS spins in neutral???

Notices

TRS spins in neutral???

Old 08-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TRS spins in neutral???

Coming back from PIB my port motor rev'd higher then the starboard as I was trying to get on plane, it felt as if the tranny was slipping. When I got home there was hardly any fluid in tranny so I figured the lack of fluid was causing the slip. I added fluid and made sure I was full of drive oil too. I also Checked the prop hub to make sure I didn't spin it. I didn't hit anything but I figured Id check it anyway.

When the motor fired up the prop started to spin on it's own, as if it was in gear at it's slowest speed. When I piut it in gear it went faster. When I put it in reverse it got ugly. Started making a clanking noise. My gf thinks it's the prop making the noise so I thought maybe I didn't put it back on right. I myself think the noise was coming from the tranny. Hard to say cause I was in the boat she was behind in the driveway. I did over fill the the tranny so I sucked some of it out and redid the prop but haven't fired it up. I was tired and frustrated.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you cooked the trans...

If it was low on fluid and slipping my guess is you fried/melted the clutches.

TRS will sometimes spin very slowly in neutral when on the trailer, but they should not spin very fast. Time to pull the trans and go through it.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Sounds like you cooked the trans...

If it was low on fluid and slipping my guess is you fried/melted the clutches.

Time to pull the trans and go through it.
Yep.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

When you say slow how slow. This turns about one turn every second. Should I go ahead and look for a new trans. Any ideas where.

I guess I should of checked the level each time I used it but who would of thought a surveyor would of missed a leaky trans and you would think that the owner would have gave me a heads up, but then again I probably would not have bought it.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

When you tried to put the boat in reverse, did you wait for the prop to slow again before you shifted?

Was your drive in the "trailer" position?

Maybe you will get lucky and the noise you heard was your U-Joints clattering if you had the drive all the way up.

I seriously doubt your trans escaped damage, but it can't hurt to fill it up with fluid and see what happens.

If it was slipping for more than a few seconds, I'm sure it overheated the clutches.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutches cannot tolerate low/too hot fluid. Don't bother taking back to lake, it needs to come out.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered

Drives aren't in trailer mode. Indicators show them a 9. The prop never stopped in neutral just kept spinning. I put it in forward then neutral, waited a couple of seconds then reverse then back to neutral. This would prob explain why it's harder to spin the prop by hand, I'm turning the trans too? So would using the boat with just forward be a bad idea?

I was told that the velvet trans can be rebuilt does anyone know if the motor has to be pulled or just the drive?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by s022mag
Drives aren't in trailer mode. Indicators show them a 9. The prop never stopped in neutral just kept spinning. I put it in forward then neutral, waited a couple of seconds then reverse then back to neutral. This would prob explain why it's harder to spin the prop by hand, I'm turning the trans too? So would using the boat with just forward be a bad idea?

I was told that the velvet trans can be rebuilt does anyone know if the motor has to be pulled or just the drive?
The trans is actually very simple. Any competent transmission shop should be able to overhaul it. You should not use the boat until you get it fixed, if it's slipping it's not going to hold together very long under load. I'm surprised you could even get on plane.

Unfortunately the engine has to come out to get the trans unbolted. You may have enough room to slide the motor forward enough to unbolt it, but in my opinion it's just easier to pull the whole assembly.

It's not the endo of the world, and the parts are not brutally expensive. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...l/page198.html
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Eric Lavene at Fantastic Finish Marine,in Medina Ohio
330-273-8291
cell # 330-322-8817
He is the Best around, quick turn around,great pricing, if you trailer he can pull it too! tell him I gave you his #'s
Dave McGinty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.