Upgrading From Bravo Xr To...????

Notices

Upgrading From Bravo Xr To...????

Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by lvrepoman
Mk- for what it's worth, I switched to a bmax this spring from what most would call a pretty extreme xr. My boat is a single engine 28' scarab that weighs in at about 6000 lbs running weight. I've been running over 1700 hp through the bmax since April with no signs of gear wear. Prior to the bmax, I ran through xr and Imco drives in about 2 hours each before I was left with a few salvageable parts. I would say for the money and ease of setup, the bmax is the way to go. I'd also say that at 850 hp in a light, efficient hull- you'll probably never hurt a bmax as long as you follow the bravo shops recommendations on gear oil and service intervals. The only down side of a bmax versus an xr is weight, but stronger always means either heavier or way more expensive... Just my 2 cents
How long of life are you getting out of the lower gears?What kind top speed are you seeing, Curious with as much hp as your running, Smitty
Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
How long of life are you getting out of the lower gears?What kind top speed are you seeing, Curious with as much hp as your running, Smitty
Dude is running 1700HP...in a 26' Scarab! (If my memory is correct)
John from the Bravo Shop sent me some pictures of LV's drive when the flex from the propeller ate away at the drive.
I don't recall a speed, but John said it accelerated like a top fuel car.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by waconda
With only 850hp in a 35 fountain the is no need to drop a lot of $$$$ on something you don't need or that is way over kill.
The Bmax will work perfect on that application and you won't be with out your boat for months putting it in and spending precious summer time trying to dial it in. JMHO.
you forgot to tell him how much speed he will loose with the bmax over the bravo and how much he will loose in comparioson to the arneson even. some things are worth what they deliver. seems everyone wants to keep people drinking the bravo coolaid especially when they are selling the coolaid
Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griff. Aren't the Bmax running XR lower gears?
Originally Posted by Griff
The B Max drive is not just an upgraded Bravo. Everything is different and all the internals are bigger and stronger. Bigger gears, shafts and closer tolerances.

To call the ASD#7M's overkill for 850 hp I don't get. That is what they are rated for. Even though there are plenty of people making the B1 style drives live with biggish power, is your mind at ease, when you run the boat with your fammy and friends? Mine would not be, but that's me.
Also, the increased speed from the Arnies over the rest, bears a value in itself too.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 09-26-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
you forgot to tell him how much speed he will loose with the bmax over the bravo and how much he will loose in comparioson to the arneson even. some things are worth what they deliver. seems everyone wants to keep people drinking the bravo coolaid especially when they are selling the coolaid
If you speak with someone about gear ratio and propping and know what you are doing when you do it you won't loose any.
Having Bmax's on my Black Thunder running 104 mph must be my down fall.

If you have looked inside a Bmax you would know it's not a Bravo!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

Ive had the boat to 105, the last owner claimed 109 (tattle tale gps speedo).

The bravos are currently running 1.35 gear ratio.

I hear that the ASD handle differently then the bravos, in a good way or bad?

Or does it just take some getting used to?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waconda
If you speak with someone about gear ratio and propping and know what you are doing when you do it you won't loose any.
Having Bmax's on my Black Thunder running 104 mph must be my down fall.

If you have looked inside a Bmax you would know it's not a Bravo!
That makes no sense to me. If you do what you suggest, but do it as a comparison between an XR and Bmax, and maximize the efficiency of both the standard XR and Bmax, the Bmax should still be slower, yes? Another thing is. If you want to increase the efficiency by surfacing B1 style drives, you are also looking at possible problems with thrown blades.

Have you thought about what your BT would run with the ASD#7M's? 108-110, maybe more? Just a thought.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
That makes no sense to me. If you do what you suggest, but do it as a comparison between an XR and Bmax, and maximize the efficiency of both the standard XR and Bmax, the Bmax should still be slower, yes? Another thing is. If you want to increase the efficiency by surfacing B1 style drives, you are also looking at possible problems with thrown blades.

Have you thought about what your BT would run with the ASD#7M's? 108-110, maybe more? Just a thought.
When you start pushing the limit of any given engine and drive package changing the drive ratio is critical, so going from a merc XR 1.50 to a Bmax 1.32 is huge and most people under estimate that. So speaking with someone like Brett at BBlades is a very important step in the process.
I'm not talking at all about making a Bravo drive or Bmax a surface drive.
We use the back of our boat and having ASD #7 sticking out there past the swim deck 12" with trips are not for me. I think Rik has a great product for the right boat and the right person just not for me on this boat.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Waconda, What Hp is your black thunder? I love the boats but have not heard of many going over 100. Obviously Coolerman does 129.

BMAX lower gears are BRAVO XR gears. just like a imco sc, teague platnium, max machine worx, all american drive service.

Swimmng with a arneson is misleading. Swimming with ANY surface drive with larger and sharper props is all the same. Arneson, #6, M8, Indy, X power, NXT, etc. Sick of people singling out the arneson.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mkrytiuk
I am currently running Bravo XR drives with IMCO -2 lowers on a 35 single step Fountain Lightning that I just purchased.

The boat currently has big power (850 HP) and I keep snappling the verticle shafs in the drives (three times this season). I am currently looking at de-tuning the motors to try to avoid this problem (changing the blower pully and turning the power down to 650 HP).

Is there any option to upgrade the drives to something else that can handle the power and not cost me an arm and a leg? If not Ill be looking for a new boat in a couple of months.
RE READING your question the answer is a no brainer. SCX uppers is all you need to purchase and run your sc lowers. Its one of the favorite combos on here for a compromise in strength and speed. I have personally seen a 36 apache with twin 950 hp hammer it out of the hole, jump waves, and run the boyne thunder poker run across the open water of lake michigan with not problems. He has over 400 hours, yes 400 hours on SCX drives!!!!!

The b max upper is strong but UGLY. the lower is no better then the sc you already have.

SCX uppers and your sc lowers would make the most sense, strong, easy, and cost efficiant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.