Bravo 1 or Bravo 3? >

Bravo 1 or Bravo 3?

Notices

Bravo 1 or Bravo 3?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 or Bravo 3?

I have a 90, 29’ Mach 1 with a single strong 502 and Bravo 1 running a 23 Mirage prop. I see many newer Baha/ Mach 1 boats running the Bravo 3 and am unsure if this would be an improvement or not for my boat and don’t know where to begin with prop selection for a Bravo 3.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on what you want to do. If you want speed, go B1. If you want fast planning, easy docking, better handling and great mid range efficiency, go B3. You will loose 2-3 mph. Those you may be able to get back by labbing the props. But all things being equal, you can also lab your Mirage and so that'll still be faster.

One way to find out if you like it or not, is to get a good used B3 lower and bolt it on your current drive. No need to buy a new complete drive. Sell it if you don't like it, or keep both so you have an option, or can go back to B1 when you sell the boat. One thing to be aware of. The B3 was introduced in '93, so make sure what ever lower you get, it'll match your drive.

What GPS speed @ what rpms are you running with the Mirage? What gear ratio is your drive? What is your x-dim?

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 10-06-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Bravo 1. I have a good friend that has a 91 with a built 502 and took the B3 off and gained 5mph and no loss on hole shot. He has kids and tubes/kneeboards/skis with the boat. As mentioned above, it all in preference but I wanted to share a little real world experience with that particlular hull and power.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
What GPS speed @ what rpms are you running with the Mirage? What gear ratio is your drive? What is your x-dim?
Speed should be in the high 50's mayb 60 and the x is very deep in these boats. Mach 1 was built in monmouth IL by felt industries before being sold to BAHA and the plant being taken over by envision which popped a splash of the old Sea Ray pachanga. (lived 40 miles from there)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a B3 lower, you will also have to reverse the shift mechanism - B3s run opposite of a std single B1 (ie, forward on a B1 will be reverse on a B3). One advantage to teh B3 not mentioned is stern lift - I can hold plane at 12-13 mph (gps) with my B3 vs 20 mph for the same B1 equipped hull. And I plane out in <3 seconds (0-20 is 3 seconds). This is a great advantage to me right now as I have a 3 year old, so slow is good. Other advantages / disadvantages here are accurate IME.

You have a 22' footer with a BBC. If you need faster planing, play with props. If you really need the low speed capability, the B3 might be worth trying (and it can be resold for breakeven if you don't like it).

My $.02

Last edited by apollard; 10-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.