Why Not Run Bravo as Surface Drive? >

Why Not Run Bravo as Surface Drive?

Notices

Why Not Run Bravo as Surface Drive?

Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael1
I just got an email from a guy who is running his Imco SC (XR equivalent) with the prop shaft 2" below the hull line on his 21' Daytona, using a Bravo 1 prop. He has a friend who is 1/2" below hull line, with the same prop. Both report no problems so far. I keep wondering how they are getting away with this. One is running 670 hp at over 119, and the other almost 800 at over 130. They do run in calm water, and, of course, the boats are light, comparatively speaking to your typical offshore V-hull.

Michael
You kinda hit the head of the nail yourself. "So far" is the key word, and 21' cats are still easier than big heavy offshore vees and cats to move. Especially the one running a high x and 800 hp is on borrowed time. 2 inches below will still create problems down the line, but it's at the same time a height where you go from submerged to surfacing props. Now if they ran 100% surface ie. 1-3 inches above like you do with SSM, ASD, BPM ect. drives on cats, I'd bet you anything both prop and drive would be done by now.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:00 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pqjack
with 560hp,you'll still have to be ''polite'' ,as those were designed for 400-450hp max...good luck
you're right ,and I will !! And if it works on my hull I convert the second one I have in to XR by Max workx

so it will last ,I no one whit 800 hp on it whit there mods
Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bor
you're right ,and I will !! And if it works on my hull I convert the second one I have in to XR by Max workx

so it will last ,I no one whit 800 hp on it whit there mods
Keep spare parts on hand, 800hp tears XRs apart like nobodys business. The gears in the Max Works, IMCO SC, Teague drive ect. are still just stock XR gears, nothing more.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 242LS
Wow - scary. Any damage? Were they all stock props or modified/lab'd?

Do you have a shorter X-dim or do you just launch off waves as much as possible?
I have a short X, right about 3" below the pad. I always run labbed props, i know they are ticking time bombs, but they just run so much better. I have a 725-750hp 598ci N/A. I do get alot of air time, but am always careful on reentry.

The props always crack and then tear from the trailing edge of the blade, midway down. I have had one crack, one with a blade completely gone, and one with a blade hanging off. no damage to the drive other than a small knick where the blade hit the cavitation plate.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
I have a short X, right about 3" below the pad. I always run labbed props, i know they are ticking time bombs, but they just run so much better. I have a 725-750hp 598ci N/A. I do get alot of air time, but am always careful on reentry.

The props always crack and then tear from the trailing edge of the blade, midway down. I have had one crack, one with a blade completely gone, and one with a blade hanging off. no damage to the drive other than a small knick where the blade hit the cavitation plate.
Philm, good information about the prop failures. I was wondering what the failure modes were.

Now you guys are going to be jealous. I just got an email from a friend with a 21' Daytona with 682 hp. He said he's had no drive failures (Imco SC), and no prop failures even though the prop shaft is only 2" below the hull. His buddy with 800 hp, and prop shaft only 1/2" below the hull has been running the same prop for 9 years! They also do full throttle hole shots.

As an engineer, I have been trying to figure out what the magic formula is. The only thing I could come up with is 1) light boat so not heavily loaded most of the time, and 2) prop rarely leaves the water (they only do lake and delta boating).

If anyone else has some theories, I'd love to hear them.

Michael
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The magic formula is the amount of/lack of weight its pushing and the smooth water.

I think my freind who owned a 42 Fountain poker run with a very high x dim and stock 525efi's threw blades off 2 or 3 props in less than 50 hrs.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bor
I gonna try this in a few months whit 560hp in front of it

Prop shaft is above the bottom it works very well on the classic donzi's
Thry also have been seen behind a few Cig 20's with standoff boxes and they seem to run real well in those, whats the Hull your rigging with the BH drive?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
The magic formula is the amount of/lack of weight its pushing and the smooth water.
And the ability to throttle correctly
Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by bor
I gonna try this in a few months whit 560hp in front of it

Prop shaft is above the bottom it works very well on the classic donzi's
Your probably gonna want a set of these for that
Attached Thumbnails Why Not Run Bravo as Surface Drive?-blackhawkcleaverprops.jpg   Why Not Run Bravo as Surface Drive?-blackhawkcleaverprops2.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osur866
Thry also have been seen behind a few Cig 20's with standoff boxes and they seem to run real well in those, whats the Hull your rigging with the BH drive?
It s a 21 ft v hull from the UK called phantom 21 normally a outboard which I converted to a inboard whit a stroked ls 2
waiting to get in soon . here a few pics ,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.