Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Swap IMCO SCX for Bravo XR Upper >

Swap IMCO SCX for Bravo XR Upper

Notices

Swap IMCO SCX for Bravo XR Upper

Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll have to try a bunch of props with the SCX too.
Does your 35 have a notch at the back? Did you have to do glass work to the bottom?

Last edited by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA; 05-03-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes I have a notch , no bottom glass work , the only glass work I had to do was fill unused holes and cover fresh cut wood
Old 05-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

The stand off boxes that house the transmissions
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
You'll have to try a bunch of props with the SCX too.
Does your 35 have a notch at the back? Did you have to do glass work to the bottom?
I plan to go through a bit of prop testing with the SCX eventually. I don't imagine too much of a change though. If I were using the SCX lower, yeah, that would take some effort to dial in I'd imagine.

Starting off I'm using the standard XR lower with the SCX upper, I've seen a few run this and I know I'm asking for trouble breakage wise in the long run. Mostly I want to baseline the SCX upper against what I had as closely as possible. Swapping the lowers later on isn't a big deal, and I'm very curious to know what effects just the upper will have on performance. I've heard anywhere from no impact to 10mph losses and just want to answer the question with some certainty for my own peace of mind.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Gonna have to get me some of them!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Registered

Everything showed up from IMCO Tuesday, back in the water this afternoon. I needed the helmets, uppers, the lower coupler adapter, the expansion tanks, a tie bar, and oil.

Absolutely no surprises. I have to break it in of course but so far it drives well, better than the XR's. That could be the props which were cleaned up while it was apart. Shifts a little hard although after a few minutes it seemed to loosen up a little.

I'm very pleased with the entire experience and they look great too. Excluding the lowers, I've got less than $26k in the setup and still have the good XR's to sell. I think that is a decent trade off for the peace of mind and durability I now have.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Belli
Everything showed up from IMCO Tuesday, back in the water this afternoon. I needed the helmets, uppers, the lower coupler adapter, the expansion tanks, a tie bar, and oil.

Absolutely no surprises. I have to break it in of course but so far it drives well, better than the XR's. That could be the props which were cleaned up while it was apart. Shifts a little hard although after a few minutes it seemed to loosen up a little.

I'm very pleased with the entire experience and they look great too. Excluding the lowers, I've got less than $26k in the setup and still have the good XR's to sell. I think that is a decent trade off for the peace of mind and durability I now have.
Belli .... keep this thread updated! may have the same project in the near future .......email me some pics and I'll post em .......m
Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

How did these affect the boats speeds?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
How did these affect the boats speeds?
Mostly Stock XR's: just before I snapped the propshaft with bravo 30's was running right at 80 (GPS) @ 5400 more than half fuel and every so often would overpower the props and get on the rev limiters.

SCX uppers + XR lowers with IMCO internals: Its a fight for more than 75 (GPS) @ 5100.

That is today. This is not a fair comparison though. Pre-SCX uppers the 30's I had on it were just a smidge slippery up top. I tried some 32's which were just too much for it. When it went in for the drive swap the props were cleaned up and a hair more bite added. I wish I would have just left the props as they were until afterwards because I'm fairly certain that the drives themselves would have given me what I was looking for.

Aside from top end speed losses every single other aspect is vastly improved. It planes better, it cruises better, they look better and more in proportion to my 38's gigantic rear end. Mentally is where all the difference is made too, I had my first day ever without that worry about shattering my drives.

I have had one snafu. Can't really blame the drives but... the end of the shift cable bent and then broke a week in. New cable too. They are hard to shift at times, but I'm still not entirely sure how or why it happened.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some Pics From Belli ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.