Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
New To Me IMCO and I Have NO Clue!! >

New To Me IMCO and I Have NO Clue!!

Notices

New To Me IMCO and I Have NO Clue!!

Old 04-24-2021, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The lower water pick up might provide some minimal cooling of the drive. It also creates some drag. Mine was welded half up just to get the water pressure lower without running a pop-off valve. I can't imagine a garden hose having enough pressure to blow open a sea strainer. If so, you have a disaster waiting to happen!
Old 04-25-2021, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Maybe the transom pickup is just feeding the intercooler. Trace the hoses down to it.
But wouldn't seem so if he's claiming to start engine to not blow lid.
I guess your strainer is the plastic one by the battery switch?
I'm with Third on doubting the garden hose has enough pressure to blow the lid.
Hook the hose up and turn it on, see if it does blow.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Not having any luck posting lately, I think it's my internet. I got better pics but can't get them uploaded. The sea strainer is plastic. It is feed from the transom pickup. it then goes to the sea water pump/impeller. Between the pump and strainer is a Perko flush valve. It looks like this is where I hook the garden hose to. It's supposed to have a valve to stop water from going back to the strainer so not sure why it would blow the strainer. Anyway this being posted in the lower unit section I still would like to know about the water that would enter the lower pickup. Would it just discharge in the gimbal area? What would they have likely done to block this off in the gimbal? Hard to see back in there and I am not familiar with out drives and all the boat cooling systems. Also, why does it keep underscoring gimbal in red like I spelled it wrong, what is proper spelling?
Old 01-01-2024, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stern advantage

Originally Posted by zfrilly
Hello, I just purchased a 1998 Crownline 225BR that was built back around 2003 with a whipple charged 454 Mag MPI, and Brodix heads. Apparently it made around 780hp. I found a little on this site in the searches about the boat, I think. I believe it was built it Full Throttle Marine in Sweetwater Texas. It came to me with an IMCO Xtreme Advantage outdrive and a Stern Jack. It also has a hydraulic ram power steering setup. I have searched the IMCO site and it doesnt seem to match any of their current lineup. I would like to prepare for a rebuild but have no clue where to start. Can i upload pics directly to here? I have heard the cable for the Stern jack is no longer available. Can I get a custom shift cable made? Is there anything I should know about this stuff? New to boating, been dealing with race cars and motorcycles for nearly 30 years. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I know this thread is a few years old but how did you make out with the imco stern advantage? That's what I have on my scarab1. Land and sea made similar piece not sure who was first. The imco version has built in steering ram ears. Just curious if you kept it all on or had to remove it.