Bravo 3 - Overheating ?  Long Island >

Bravo 3 - Overheating ? Long Island

Notices

Bravo 3 - Overheating ? Long Island

Old 12-19-2020, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo 3 - Overheating ? Long Island

Hi. Newbie here. Trying to assess if Iím having an overheating issue in my 2003 Bravo 3 (1100 hours ). I believe somethings going on as lower unit oil overflows from oil reservoir when running over 4000rpms ( wonít otherwise ). Iíve owned engine and drive since new.

The only work done (2) years ago ( 120 hours ) was new u joint assembly was installed - Iím concerned the pre-load is too tight. When hand turning shaft ( out of fear ), it feels a little Ďgrindyí, like I can feel the bearings turning.

Iím looking for a top notch, honest, highly qualified mercruiser mechanic who knows his stuff - located on Long Island NY. I can deliver the drive...

Thank you

Old 12-19-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 469 Likes on 228 Posts

Have you tried a new drive lube reservoir cap??
The following users liked this post:
SB (01-15-2021)
Old 12-19-2020, 03:31 PM
Registered

Iím replacing entire reservoir and cap. Iíd hate to assume itís that, put her in next year and have it happen again. Is there a way to test my current rez and cap ?
Old 12-19-2020, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ABL1111 View Post
Iím replacing entire reservoir and cap. Iíd hate to assume itís that, put her in next year and have it happen again. Is there a way to test my current rez and cap ?
was also going to suggest the reservoir cap. how does your oil look? If it is overheating, it will smell burned and appear black.

To test the cap, drain the drive, and pressurize the drive (15 psi). youíll have to make up a pressure tester. Itís pretty simple and cheap. Pickup a Schrader valve, tubing, fitting for drive drain, and bike pump with guage.

Pressure will test whole system. Drive, tubing, bottle and cap.

If you want the drive inspected, you will likely need to ship it out. AADS, max machine worx, etc.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Registered

Oil looked perfect; green, like I just put it in.

I built a pressure tester a few yrs back when I found some oil in my bellows. Pressure tested perfectly while static. This is when my mechanic changed the u joint and seals - he said that the gear had no pre-load - he reset it. I feel this is the point, the paint started to blister on top of drive a little.

Theoretically, when I pull the old oil reservoir, I could connect the 15psi to that and see how it goes ? Thoughts...
Old 12-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Registered

Oil looked perfect; green, like I just put it in.

I built a pressure tester a few yrs back when I found some oil in my bellows. Pressure tested perfectly while static. This is when my mechanic changed the u joint and seals - he said that the gear had no pre-load - he reset it. I feel this is the point, the paint started to blister on top of drive a little.

Theoretically, when I pull the old oil reservoir, I could connect the 15psi to that and see how it goes ? Thoughts...
yes you could pressurize the bottle when removed from the boat. if it doesnít hold pressure thatís your culprit. if it does...Iíd replace it anyways.

if your oil was over heating I would think you would see signs in the oil. We have had issues this year on new re builds. See pictures. New vs burnt oil.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

There is a guy in Suffolk that does drive work. I have never used him, but a few friends have and were happy with his work. I pmed you his info.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:58 PM
Registered

Ready to focus on this. Need a drive guy. The guy in Suffolk retired

Looking for The Guy. Not just someone who is good or has 'done a few'... I will bring drive anywhere on LI for the right mechanic.

Thank you,

Old 01-15-2021, 08:54 AM
Registered

Ready to focus on this. Need a drive guy. The guy in Suffolk retired

Looking for The Guy. Not just someone who is good or has 'done a few'... I will bring drive anywhere on LI for the right mechanic.

Thank you,
what if the guy doesnít exist on LI.

do a search here on OSO...you will find many members using the same people. to name a few:

AADS
Machine Worx
Teague
mr gadgets

Good luck
Old 01-15-2021, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 135 Likes on 90 Posts

I was having the same problem and it freaked me out as I had already blown the drive twice. I replaced the cap and it solved the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.