Notices

SSM3 oil leak

Old 10-29-2021, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default SSM3 oil leak

After raising & lowering my drives a few times, (I installed new trim indicators) I noticed oil running down the cavitation plate and onto the props.
obviously a seal?.. Gimble oil seal?.......big job?...What am I instore for?..........oh boy! , winter project starting now!.........Thanks, Scippy
Old 11-01-2021, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

anybody?
Old 11-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

are u sure its not oil from the trim cylinders . the seals like to dry out and leak . they also sometimes develop pin hole leaks in the outer case. I have seen them leak numerous times on ssm stuff .
The following users liked this post:
scippy (11-09-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TomFTM
are u sure its not oil from the trim cylinders . the seals like to dry out and leak . they also sometimes develop pin hole leaks in the outer case. I have seen them leak numerous times on ssm stuff .
No I don't think so, I can see the path of the oil coming down from upwards and away from the trim cylinder. sort of up in where the bellows would be that section....wish it was the trim cylinder!
Old 11-08-2021, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Found the hose that's leaking inside the gimble housing of my ssm 3 outdrive......by looking up under where the gimble housing rotates the drive up & down, it's in partial view. anybody here pull a drive from the gimble housing?
Old 11-09-2021, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

That hose take a ton of abuse for what it is. Pain in the butt to replace. Taking the drive off is easy, so is installing it if you have the guide spring in the tail stock (which I don't).
I used an engine hoist on the lifting eye, balances really well for alignment.
I have replaced one of my oil hoses with a chunk of aeroquip I had on hand, can't remember the type (it was late at night and I wanted to go boating the next morning), but it needs to be flexible enough to cycle the up and down/left and right, but stiff enough to not kink.

Last edited by resurrected; 11-09-2021 at 06:21 AM.
scippy (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by resurrected
That hose take a ton of abuse for what it is. Pain in the butt to replace. Taking the drive off is easy, so is installing it if you have the guide spring in the tail stock (which I don't).
I used an engine hoist on the lifting eye, balances really well for alignment.
I have replaced one of my oil hoses with a chunk of aeroquip I had on hand, can't remember the type (it was late at night and I wanted to go boating the next morning), but it needs to be flexible enough to cycle the up and down/left and right, but stiff enough to not kink.
I ordered the 2 hoses since I have identical leaks in both drives ........like you said, also someone told me it's easy to the remove drives, but a real pain to get them back in. what complicates the issues now even more is I don't have the special lock key that's on one of the 6 bolts to remove the outdrive.....wonder how I go forward with this new hurdle!
Old 11-09-2021, 11:35 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
I ordered the 2 hoses since I have identical leaks in both drives ........like you said, also someone told me it's easy to the remove drives, but a real pain to get them back in. what complicates the issues now even more is I don't have the special lock key that's on one of the 6 bolts to remove the outdrive.....wonder how I go forward with this new hurdle!
I have also replaced them on the boat. PIA but it can be done.
scippy (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

To remove Mcgaurd lock

Cut Ring with a dremel with a cut off wheel and made 2 cuts thru the sleeve as deep as possible, then just split the sleeve off with a screw driver. Then just
knock a socket over the nut/lock and unscrew.
scippy (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So that's what they call it, a Mcguard lock?...here's a few pics to show Mcguard lock and disintegrating hose....question, when I get the guard off and the 5 other nuts
should the drive just pull out? .or is there anything else I need to be prepared for?......gonna do this myself and get it done no matter what just want to be prepared. Thanks, Scippy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.