Notices

resins

Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by motion110
What does two posts have to do with spotting a know it all, internet geek? You and Mr. Baby Gap Tee shirt" Boyhunter "
guy would make a nice couple. WOW a 24' pantera. I had one of those when I was 12. Why don't you guys use these forums for their purpose. Go chat in your little chat room.
I have a 35 Cig, a 41 Apache and a 50 Searay. Are we done comparing johnsons?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Motion unfortunately while they may have a lot of posts they are also correct. If you do not know the properties of resin then do you really want to save a couple bucks tackling this job yourself? Since you had a 24 Pantera when you were 12 you must be fairly well off so paying some one that knows what they are doing would be smart, especially something that is there to save your life not just to keep the wind off you.

That being said you can use either Vinnyl ester or epoxy. Epoxy is/can be stronger. Epoxy can be an issue depending on what your top coat is. Most paints are Polyester based and may react poorly with Epoxy. You have to do your research to know if this will be an issue for you. Waxed vs unwaxed depends on what coat you are aplying and again what resin you use. If you use waxed you need to clean off that wax and sand between each coat of glass. Some epoxy's will allow you to not have to sand as long as you get the next coat on in a few hours. All this info is in the tech literature of the resin and you HAVE to read it to know what one will work best for you all the manufacturers are a little different. Fillers, ussually called Micro Balloons, are mixed in with the resin to fill voids and help with adhesion on corners. Again there are many different kinds (West system for examples has over 10) and they are all for different things. You WILL need filler.

Again I don't think any of these guys ment any disrespect to you they were just looking out for your best interests. I have done a TON of glass work including actually making boats. This is nothing I would even consider taking on myself. Hopefully my poor spelling and high post count does not get me ***** slapped

Last edited by Audiofn; 01-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UT OH so now you want to compare JOHNSONS ..... I'm in LMAO
Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

In his defense Chris is a know it all
Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I know why you guys geek on the internet.This is fun. I could do this all night but my life is complete enough without the need to chat on the internet. New Jersey Last Rites Let me guess, a Baja!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motion110
Now I know why you guys geek on the internet.This is fun. I could do this all night but my life is complete enough without the need to chat on the internet. New Jersey Last Rites Let me guess, a Baja!
Cause we're all broke from Christmas & New Years and saving a few bucks for some Lap dances at the Strip club this weekend LOL
Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This whole thread reminds me of this

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2014688835

Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

Sorry Audiofn, your post came up while I was typing. I,ve done alot of glasswork but its been about 12 years. Just testing the waters. I've read alot of your posts and I do feel that you are experienced enough to give advice.I am semi retired and plenty oy time on my hands. PS: I too was burned by Trick marine.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

The time is fine. But there is a lot of flexing that will be going on, depending on what the windshild is made of you can have a reaction with the resins......... This stuff when done at places like OL and Skater is totally engineered. You could easily ruine a lot of things on your boat and your new windsheilds if you are not real carefull and use a product that reacts poorly. Like I said and I think these other guys are cautioning about this is not a job for an amature. I think that you and I both fall under that "amature" catagory. This is a job that I would not tackle. I have a customer that just purchased a OL GTX and wanted the windsheild changed and from what I understand it was a fairly big deal.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

Audiofn Thats some funny sh@t. Your OK in my book. Thanks for your advice. LOL LOL is a new one for me and I wanted to use it.

Quick Reply: resins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.