What is this?

Notices
Formula

What is this?

Old 04-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

The engine hatch is not the same as Formula. The hatch supports around the engine compartment is not Formula. The cockpit liner is not Formula, and the dash is not Formula. The throttles are too close to the steering wheel to be Formula. The swim platform looks like Formula, but does not have ridges that Formula does. There are no top caps on the vent area that Formula has. The ridge down the foredeck is different than Formula, and extends aft of the windshield into the dash.

This is something else made to look like a Formula, but it is definately NOT a Formula!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is getting interesting. We sold CC back in the mid 80's,I will look for old photos. I was convinced it was an old 382,but to argue with our resident expert,RedDog,would be futile But I do not remember the rear of the CC's we sold to have Silent Thunder. This could be a a Sat nite research project
Old 04-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Called in my resident expert,Dano. He says no way a CC,they had flat transoms. And no way a Formula,even tho hull and transom look similar,no way is it a Formula deck,as RedDog said. His take,some small company with access to a 382 hull,fitted a deck and bought the 382 Taylor windshield. Where is Rippem when we need him?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

I hope we figure this out. My mind has been wondering all day on what to do. The interior pics I have seen look the same on the 86 39' and the 87 41'. I will keep everyone updated as I learn more. I have a friend who works for the DMV and I think they can run the IN reg number and tell me where and what it is. If it comes back alot different than I am being told I will be more worried. The report I have says the Vessel name is Stinger. I just keep thinking if the boat is solid and needs alittle TLC It could turn out to be a nice boat.

Thanks to everyone again

Mike
Old 04-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Just a guess here, but I think it is a Stinger that they grafted a 382 swim platform and silent thunder box, along with the windshield which has some fabricated fins at the rear to take the place of the deck that should be there on a Formula. Whole lot of work to do all that but Stingers could be had cheap and you only need a salvage 382. Big problem I could foresee is all the grafting being done poorly-you could be leaving pieces as you go. This thing would need to be thoroughly inspected and surveyed before I'd spend a cent on it.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Called in my resident expert,Dano. He says no way a CC,they had flat transoms.

Not true Robert. Little Sunday am research results:
Attached Thumbnails What is this?-stinger2.jpg   What is this?-stinger3.jpg   What is this?-stinger4.jpg  

Old 04-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered

More Stingers:
Attached Thumbnails What is this?-stinger.jpg   What is this?-stinger5.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Look at the cockpit floor, raised bolster mounting blocks, and non-McLeod bolsters. I've never seen this in a Formula.
Attached Thumbnails What is this?-stinger7.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Look at the 3 color side panels behind the bolsters,I seem to remember CC using these. No padding,just vinyl over hard angled blocks,Formula never did that. Interesting thread going on here.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Called in my resident expert,Dano. He says no way a CC,they had flat transoms. D
1984 was the first year the 390X Stinger had the molded swim platform. I have the 83, 84, and 85 brochures, just no 86 or 87.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.